Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced this in their FJ? Yesterday I got in my FJ and cranked it, released parking brake and tried to go. Seems like I heard a noise when I tried to take off, but all four wheels were locked. Today I jacked it up and put it in nutreal with parking brake off and tried to turn the wheels, but none of the four would turn. Any suggestions what to check. I can't even take it to the shop, since it won't roll. When I let out on the clutch, it wants to go forward, but acts like the parking brake is on.

Premium Member
Did you try all four wheels when it was jacked up? Was thinking of a hard freeze overnight after parking it with the brakes all slushed up or something.. I haven't heard of all 4 wheels doing that though, just the parking brake..

Anything unusual happen lately?

You need to stop by and say HI a little more often 馃槂

Good luck..

Registered
Need more information ... you haven't provided much.

1. Model year?
2. ODO reading?
3. Are you in a sub-freezing environment?
4. More info on "the noise" the occurred immediately before the driveline lockup... a sudden sharp bang or click?

Jack it up again, and disconnect the driveshaft from the rear differential, Does the diff's driveshaft flange turn smoothly in both directions? If so, you can rule out a rear diff failure. If not, you may have a diff failure, or some failure within the parking brake that has locked up an axle.

If the rear diff seems OK, disconnect the driveshaft from the front differential, and see if the flange rotates smoothly in both directions. If so, you can rule out a front diff failure.

What's left is transfer case and transmission. Drain the lubricants through a piece of T-shirt material and look for any metal debris, as well as on the drain plug magnets, if equipped.

Desert Moderator
You have a manual transmission - what position is the transfer case selector in?

4H > 4HL > N > 4LL

Is your rear diff locked? (button marked RR Diff Lock)

Please send a photo of your dash with the engine running and transmission in neutral.

Any strange noises recently?

Desert Moderator
For the uninitiated on a 6MT FJ the following transfer case/traction settings apply.

4H - Leave it here
4HL - The back end is sliding out in 4H
N - You're being towed
4LL - You're crawling up the north face of Mt. Everest.
4LL with RR Difflock & ATRAC - You're crawling up K2 and the weather is really bad, and you're towing an overweight trailer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Did you try all four wheels when it was jacked up? Was thinking of a hard freeze overnight after parking it with the brakes all slushed up or something.. I haven't heard of all 4 wheels doing that though, just the parking brake..

Anything unusual happen lately?

You need to stop by and say HI a little more often 馃槂

Good luck..
I tried all four wheels, but one at a time. During that time we didn't have any freezing weather. Nothing unusual happened before that. However, my wife did say that she heard something like a squeaking sound each time I engaged the clutch. I couldn't hear it, since my hearing is not the best. However the clutch seems to be working, since I can engage it and shift into the different gears and when I let off the clutch it wants to go forward, but the wheels won't roll.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
More info on the vehicle:. 2007 FJ Cruiser, manual transmission with approximately 170,000 miles. When I tried to turn the wheels, I had the transmission in N, parking brake off and 4x4 shifter in N also.

Desert Moderator
I tried all four wheels, but one at a time. During that time we didn't have any freezing weather. Nothing unusual happened before that. However, my wife did say that she heard something like a squeaking sound each time I engaged the clutch. I couldn't hear it, since my hearing is not the best. However the clutch seems to be working, since I can engage it and shift into the different gears and when I let off the clutch it wants to go forward, but the wheels won't roll.
What is the transfer case selector position?
Is it stalling when you let the clutch out when it's in gear?
Any strange smells?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
The noise that I heard when trying to take off was like, it seems like it was trying to break loose and go forward, could have been something that broke. It happened so fast and I was expecting it to go as usual. I'm just not sure.

Desert Moderator
We are asking specific questions - please answer them so that we can help you

Desert Moderator
Yes, it stalls when I release the clutch while it in gear and no smells.
OK - What is the 4WD selector position?
Can you post a picture of your dashboard?

Desert Moderator
Are either of these lights illuminated on your dashboard? Position may differ on your FJ.

Desert Moderator
Is your 4WD selector in this position (All the way back) or somewhere else?

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
It was in that position when I tried to drive it, but it was in N when I tried rolling the wheels while jacked up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Here are pics of the dash. The lights that are on have been checked out by a mechanic and they said that they are on because the Catalytic converter and smog box need replacing. They have been on for a while. The mechanic said that it wouldn't hurt to drive it with them on.

Attachments

Desert Moderator
Has it been driven on hard surfaces (normal road) in anything but H?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts