Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Good looking set up.I installed my allpro bumper 2 weeks ago I wish I had the money at the time to get a winch now I have to remove my bumper again:mecry:.The smitty built was the one winch I was looking at I did not feel the added expense of a warn was worth it.Was it too difficult to hook your cable on the inside of the bumper like allpro direction shows? Did you use the renforcement brackets? SEK ROCKS hotsteel41
Neither I nor my husband could easily hook the cable to the inside hook like the directions say. I didn't use the reinforcement brackets.

I feel your pain - I waited to put my bumper on until I could get a winch b/c I remembered how it was putting the bumper on the Taco and didn't want to take the bumper off once it was on. I had to sadly look at the bumper in my garage for 3 weeks...wishing everyday that I could get rid of the plastic bumper! :lol:

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nice job PBC.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry for resurecting an old thread, but I have a Q for the smittybilt winch owners: how long are the wires that go from the control box to the winch? I ask because I'm thinking of getting one but I'd mlike to mount the control box under the hood so that it is more protected from mud, water, etc.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I don't think they'll be long enough for that. The wires are all pretty much just long enough from the bumper to the battery. Might work, though.

I have since changed to a Warn M8000 because my XRC8 broke after 4 uses...Smittybilt sent me new parts and everything but I didn't feel confident the winch would work when I needed it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't think they'll be long enough for that. The wires are all pretty much just long enough from the bumper to the battery. Might work, though.

I have since changed to a Warn M8000 because my XRC8 broke after 4 uses...Smittybilt sent me new parts and everything but I didn't feel confident the winch would work when I needed it.
Wow, only 4 uses :huh: , now I'm not so sure I want one. The thing is that the name brand ones (Warn, Ramsey,etc.) are so expensive...it's just a winch, I can't udnerstand why they are so expensive, there really isn't a lot of technology or research involved in it.

Oh well, thanks for the reply anyway, how is the Warn working out for you? that would be my "cheap" name brand choice.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts