Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i installed my fox 2.5 coilovers today along with allpro UCA's
everything went rather smooth untill i noticed the resovoirs...there isint enough hose one the shocks to get them into all pros brackets... so i had to put them into the fender higher and only use 1 clamp
2nd issue
when i jack both front wheels in the air and rest them back down the truck sits at 39" fron ground to fender..
if i drive around the block the fender to ground clearance is 37" why am i loosing 2 inches?? ive repeated this 4 times now and when i drop the wheels back on the ground it sits level. then i drive and it looks stock height?
anyone got any insight to this? these shocks promised 3" of lift and i got nothing...i also noticed these are the newer ones with the silver eibach springs...

·
Registered
699 Posts
So after you drive it, they settle down 2"?

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
When you jack the fj up in the air, the tires move
inward as the suspension drops, due to the control
arm pivot points, and then when you jack it back
down, the tires grab the ground surface at the point
where they make contact and hold there, not letting
the suspension to cycle back down all the way till
you drive it, then it settles back down... just a
thought...

Just for yuks, what is the sping rate on the springs
themselve, should be something like 600 or 650 I
believe... (printed on the springs themselves)...

If you know the height you are at now, then you
know the amount more you need to go up, and I
think it was something like for every 1/2" on the
adjustment of the coil, gives you a tad less then
7/8" lift of the wheel...

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I installed fox 2.0's 2 weeks ago and experienced the same thing, after driving around the block - the measurement was different (lower) than when I just lowered the front end off the lift. I think this is due to the narrower stance the fj takes just off the lift and the more natural stance (wider and therefore lower) after driving. The 2.0's are adjustable so it meant some fine tuning on the adjustment rings a few times. I was going after a leveling-lift of the front only.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
probably wont help you with your 2.5's and different coil compression, but with front fox 2.0's I had to make 20 turns on the adjustment ring to achieve a level lift of the front to the back - hope you get a good result.

·
Registered
294 Posts
As far as the reservoir mounts go it sounds like you have them mounted on the wrong side. Swap sides from the driver side to the passenger side.
You can't measure lift until after you have driven the vechicle, they come pre set at about 2.5" of lift, you can crank in more if desired. The front springs are Eibach 600#.

JonB

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
As far as the reservoir mounts go it sounds like you have them mounted on the wrong side. Swap sides from the driver side to the passenger side.
You can't measure lift until after you have driven the vechicle, they come pre set at about 2.5" of lift, you can crank in more if desired. The front springs are Eibach 600#.

JonB
i tried to put the brackets the other way...if i did that the bracket would hit the bracket in the front fender...right now i have so the hose and is tilted lower and the fill port is higher...i thought it didn't make sense that way but it was the only way i could get the bracket to fit...is it possible i got the old style reservoir mounts?? i will get some pics tommorow

as far as the ride height not totally setting makes sense...i just thought it was preset at 3" because thats what it says on all pro's website..and thats what the guy told me on the phone...oh well i guess i could crank them up...
now my next step when i crank them up is there 2 adjuster rings on them or is it one..it seems like one is a lock nut and the other is to adjust it...also what tools are used to spin em...i don't have a spanner wrench and i also dont wanna gouge out the holes on the collar

and now for a 3rd issue...i get a huge loud metal on metal thunk when i hit quick bumps like a speed bump...the sway bar doesnt hit the coilovers i was thinking maybe its hitting th oem skid..im clueless on this out...i thought at first it was the UCA bushings...but they just creek on every bump...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
drivers side...see how the hose gets kinked at the bottom

passenger side

passenger side sway bar bracket

hose kink

i thought that load noise on sudden bumps was the skid plate and sway bar hitting eachother....look what i found
this is a pic of the skid plate
pic of the sway bar.

i guess they are hitting eachother because the sway bar dropped and inch for the bracket and the coils really didnt lift the truck up
driver side sway bar

reservoir brackets...
this is the only way i could mount them as you see in this pic if i reversed the brackets they would hit this mount...

this is the height of the truck after i drop it back down on all 4

i will also add I am not crying about the kit..i took it on the beach and its nuts!! i just gotta work out a few bugs and I am truly happy i already got the vendors attention and there trying to help me out...goes a long way with me thats i why i replaced the DR's with these in the first place

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
TOFJ,
I see you're still watching this thread, you will probably get satisfaction from the vendor - I see he has responded already. My .02 cents on your set-up, it is different from the 2.0 fox set up as the reservoir is in front of the shock (the 2.0 is mounted on top and has different hardware). they wanted the reservoir hose fitting to face forward on the 2.0 - so I will hazard a guess that yours are mounted on the proper side as well. The amount of pinch on the hose is bothersome though....The guys at 4 wheel parts wanted lots of money to install 2.5's back when I was considering them 'cause they hadnt done any - so you are blazing some trail for some of us. I hope it is as simple as switching the reservoir mounts as JonB says. keep us posted and good luck!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks man!
i will also add that i got rid of the control arm bushing squeek completly...
what i did was loosen the big bolt that goes through the bushing and undo the unibolt...i grease them with mobil pink grease. when you loosen the bolt you allow grease to pass in between the bushing and the washers. when you tighen the bolt most of the grease will ooze out but its enough in there to get the squeek to stop...after there greased i mooved the UCA up and down and it was butter!!..i also only tightened the long bolt to 80 ftlbs...i thought 100 was way to much and would make the bushings bind again..i will have to check torque in a couple of days to see if its tight enough..
the pic below shows the grease in between the bushing and washers...

if there tight i dont see how grease would get in there unless the bolt was loosened...
so to update...all clunks creeks are gone...i just have one deep barely noticeable thump. i believe its just the uniballs doing there thing. i am going to make a cover for them maybe out of a plastic easter egg...i am on the beach way to much haha

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
thanks for the hint on the bushings lube - my uca's were squeaking too, I think i didnt do as good a job on the lube as you did. It is definitely less now. I just re-measured my lift height post FE alignment and I was too high on the front by 1/2 inch, so I backed off 3 turns and all seems level again

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had Mark of Mark Sand Trans repair and refill my 2.5's as one was leaking at the hose. Here's the spanner wrench he used, it took two!

GNR

Top quality, used by the professionals.

Will post some more of my issues later,-Bill

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Tons of issues with the first fox shox for the FJ (2.0), now more with these. I was left out in the cold with the 1st fox shox. Id never buy another fox product again.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had Mark of Mark Sand Trans repair and refill my 2.5's as one was leaking at the hose. Here's the spanner wrench he used, it took two!

GNR

Top quality, used by the professionals.

Will post some more of my issues later,-Bill
thanks for links to the wrenches...i may get 2 of them...they look good but double the prices and the rest of em....but there the only 1 that uses the 1/4 dowel..

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
thanks for links to the wrenches...i may get 2 of them...they look good but double the prices and the rest of em....but there the only 1 that uses the 1/4 dowel..
Both Fox and Walker Evans use a 1/4" dowel, if you use a spanner you risk damaging the adjusting collar finish - we had several customers demand spanners instead of using the 1/4" punch recommended from the manufacturer so we made one, it worked, but as expected it scratched the heck out of the collar. If you absolutely need one I'll send it to you if we have any left over no charge, just PM me - but be aware of the damage it will likely cause.

Terry
all pro

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
^^^ YES, as Terry stated... I have tried both,
and the dowel worked so much better...

HINT: The use of two 1/4" dowels at the same
time works even better... ;)... IMO...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts