Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to purchase rock sliders, more than likely the bare All Pro. Looking for suggestions for coating, want to do something like a bed liner, something durable that will also give it texture so it won't be slippery. Looking to DIY(M).

·
Registered
336 Posts
I recommend lots of prior sanding (foam sanding blocks make this much easier), several coats of rustoleum self etching primer, and then top coat of choice. I go with rustoleum professional in black, easy to touch up and acquire. I do about 5 coats or more then clear coat on top, that will last YEARS of sun exposure and road abuse. If you’d prefer, you could replace with a bed liner type top coat, but I can’t speak in the durability of those products, or the ability to touch up once chipped. Good luck!
Jeff

·
Owner: G3 Offroad
2,201 Posts
If you ever plan on them touching a rock Do Not use bedliner .

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wouldn’t say that regular spray paint is “slippery”. I wonder if the flat colors are less then the glossy?

·
Premium Member
14'FJ, Bilstein 6112/5160, SPC UCA's, Spod BantamX, 285 70 Toyo AT3, DD SS3 Max fogs, BD LP6 pros.
302 Posts
I literally just installed my AP sliders today. I completely stripped them down to shiny bare metal. Sanded em, used self etching primer, wet sanded that......then started applying paint (went for a red to change things up) multiple thin coats, wet sanded that.... then applied multiple thin clear coats. Let em sit for 5 days, waited for everything to cure. Installed this morning. Whats not pictured is the self etching primer I used, also rustoleum. If I find them to be to slipper ill be adding some grip tape. Pictured below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
I did exactly the opposite as FireMedic said. I put rustoleum bedliner on mine. I figured if it gets chipped or scraped (and it has), I just spray more on top of it. I haven't had any real issues, but to each their own. Either way, you definitely need to prep it like others stated...! By the way, @Ruuster13, I like the red...great job!

·
Registered
336 Posts
The red looks great! I want to do my new ones gold to match the trim on my 08 limited 4runner, but I don’t think I can do it. I did get my all pro upper control arms powder coated gold last time I was rebuilding them though...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I literally just installed my AP sliders today. I completely stripped them down to shiny bare metal. Sanded em, used self etching primer, wet sanded that......then started applying paint (went for a red to change things up) multiple thin coats, wet sanded that.... then applied multiple thin clear coats. Let em sit for 5 days, waited for everything to cure. Installed this morning. Whats not pictured is the self etching primer I used, also rustoleum. If I find them to be to slipper ill be adding some grip tape. Pictured below.
They look amazing. I'm thinking a bed liner type spray for easy touch up when it gets scuffed. Still looking for ideas an input so haven't pulled the trigger on anything. Thinking items will be on sale in the next day or two.

·
Premium Member
14'FJ, Bilstein 6112/5160, SPC UCA's, Spod BantamX, 285 70 Toyo AT3, DD SS3 Max fogs, BD LP6 pros.
302 Posts
They look amazing. I'm thinking a bed liner type spray for easy touch up when it gets scuffed. Still looking for ideas an input so haven't pulled the trigger on anything. Thinking items will be on sale in the next day or two.
They are on sale for 359$ at summit racing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts