Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide on what to get for my FJ. I have decided i want to do both front and rear suspension but i am not sure of what to get. Should i go with the front 2.5" Coil-overs or the 2.0" with reservoir ? Same doubt with the rear, what do you all recommend ?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have the front and rear adjustable, the ability to change the ride makes a huge difference.

Here is my opinion on the WE shocks

Well I am pleased on not pleased at the same time. I love the adjustable reservoir, and the performance has been great. The shock still run great.

The con is something that they already fixed, so it doesn't exist for anything they are currently selling.

The problem I had is the knob type for the front shocks was a round cap style, it no longer functions, it jams constantly and almost an hour to unjam, basically I had to set the front and leave it after 2.5 years, I planned on running these for years.

The rear shocks have the "new" red 3 point knob, these work like new, never an issue (which these had been on the front shocks), almost 3 years running.

So I would say go for it and get them.

I could have my front shocks rebuilt by Allpro, but the cost to send these to CA from MA and back again, plus the rebuild cost make them not worth the rebuild for me.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
^^^ Rue... the USPS flat rate boxes work GREAT !... ;)

I used them for when I lost a seal on my rear shock !...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, i also found Bandi's thread with a lot of info on them and i decided to get the 2" adjustable w /reservoir for both front and rear. Will be getting them next week, i cant wait to install them!
On another topic, what to you guys think about the UCA's ? Are they a must have in order for all the mods to work correctly?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I have ran the 2" adjustable AND the 2.5". The 2.5" is MUCH better. The difference is immediately noticeable and really surprised me.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
^^^ I've been playing that game for 4+ years... with 3inches of lift, you can use the stock UCA...

I have ran a few years with the AP UCA's, but did not like the uniball setup, and I delt with a short life of the uniballs themselves, and replaced them twice... then I went back to stock UCA's for a while now, but I do find the FJ is a tad less stable at speeds it seems, nothing that worrys me, but I notice...

So I just ordered the Camburg UCA's that use the stock style balljoint which will have a long life than the open to the element uniballs... The Camburgs are the same style as the AP, which worked great also, and the same style as some few others, and correct some camber issues by pushing the upper knuckle outward...

If cash ($379 Camburg, plus $22 shipping, plus $42ea for new ball joints if you decide not to re-use your stock ones) is not a big issue, I would do it now, if it is, you can run without them...

Another good option, is the light racing UCA's, whic hae adjustments for alignment, but uses a proprietary sealed ball joint, so when you do eventally need a replacement, you need to get it from them (if they are still making them), and that is the reason I went with the Camburg, since the stock ball joint will be available for a long long time... for that mater, uniballs will also be arounf for a long time, and are pretty much standard offroad part accross the board...

sorry for the ramble.... just tons of info floating around my head... LoL... :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, i was hoping the stock UCA's would work fine, i am planning on a 2.5" lift 3" at the most. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
the stock uca will work fine, just get a front end alignment when you get the lift done... they should be able ot get it close enough, if not right on...

The aftermarket arms keeps the alingment closer when there is drop in the front suspension, since the aftermarket arms are outward slightly more (positive camber), and keeping the arms at a flatter angle more...

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have ran the 2" adjustable AND the 2.5". The 2.5" is MUCH better. The difference is immediately noticeable and really surprised me.
In what way to you think the ride is better going from adjustable to the 2.5".

I think my ride sucks being so soft, stuck on 9, not being able to adjust my front shocks. How can one setting fit-all?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
The ride did firm up a bit, but it wasn't jarring. Previously, when I go over certain bumps/rises (or coming out of a dip), the front end would get really light and you almost feel like it jumped (when it didn't), but the 2.5s are made it feel more planted. It takes bumps at speed much better then before.

I know what you mean about the adjustability. I did appreciate the same, but the 2.5s are just that much better, that I'm willing to sacrifice the tuning. If I would put it into one simple description, it would be that the ride is less bouncy.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
^ good info. You sold me on the 2.5s.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I love my 2.5s as well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Holy Ghost thread revival warning.

Anyone have any updates or opinions on the WE coilovers? I'm considering them, but don't mind buying fox or icon if it's recommended. I would consider King, but I like the lift adjustable coilovers.

A little edit for background. I drive my FJ for work. I'm a forester so I drive on dirt roads a lot but no rock crawling. I want to be able to drive at decent pace and absorb bumps and mainly fit bigger tires.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have nothing positive to say about my WE, the rears leaked in a few years and very few miles and the front adjustable seized. I only run FOX now.

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
My WE 2.5 fronts and 2.0 rears have been bombproof after 40000 miles of hard driving on and offroad. This includes A LOT of high speed desert riding over washboards and a good amount of time in the rocks.

They perform like a race car on the road, and perform very well offroad as well. Super stable around curves and turns, yet soft in the right places.

Not a single issue and they still perform as they did when they were new.

Ruebarb is the first report I have seen with any issues. The only people I know that run WE, are super happy with them, and I wonder if Ruebarb's were the modern WEs, or the older version that is totally different than the new design?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
My WE 2.5 fronts and 2.0 rears have been bombproof after 40000 miles of hard driving on and offroad. This includes A LOT of high speed desert riding over washboards and a good amount of time in the rocks.

They perform like a race car on the road, and perform very well offroad as well. Super stable around curves and turns, yet soft in the right places.

Not a single issue and they still perform as they did when they were new.

Ruebarb is the first report I have seen with any issues. The only people I know that run WE, are super happy with them, and I wonder if Ruebarb's were the modern WEs, or the older version that is totally different than the new design?
Mine were the old style, maybe they improved them, I still got royally screwed by WE. Glad they are making a better product now, though couldn't had gotten any worse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts