Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, like the skid plate I just installed, this thing fit like it came off the truck. Other than one bolt being frozen (had to put a torch on it and get it RED hot before it'd budge), it was painless and straightforward.

One note however - and this was a big DOH! for me - it does not work with the dealer-installed receiver hitch. Not sure about a factory hitch - never seen one up close. So, I sat there... "Do I want to tow... Do I want to wheel without dragging my tailpipe (and receiver)... Do I want to tow... " So, the reciever hitch is now in the basement...

I'd post pics, but it looks exactly like the ones on the website - exactly. Here they are...

Attachments

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well, like the skid plate I just installed, this thing fit like it came off the truck. Other than one bolt being frozen (had to put a torch on it and get it RED hot before it'd budge), it was painless and straightforward.

One note however - and this was a big DOH! for me - it does not work with the dealer-installed receiver hitch. Not sure about a factory hitch - never seen one up close. So, I sat there... "Do I want to tow... Do I want to wheel without dragging my tailpipe (and receiver)... Do I want to tow... " So, the reciever hitch is now in the basement...

I'd post pics, but it looks exactly like the ones on the website - exactly. Here they are...
I'm glad you made this point... Hopefully someone with a factory hitch will chime in cuz I'm looking at this as a future mod.
Thanks

·
Registered
933 Posts
According to repair diagram and confirmed by member the factory hitch bolts into the rear crossmember in the bumper so should have no effect on this mod.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Um, i have the factory hitch... installed the AllPro pipe, never the two did cross. Never even crossed my mind.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Um, i have the factory hitch... installed the AllPro pipe, never the two did cross. Never even crossed my mind.
Look again ^ - I said it interferes with the dealer-installed hitch... not the factory-installed hitch. They're different. ;)

But now we know - works without a hitch, with a factory hitch but not the dealer-installed hitch.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Look again ^ - I said it interferes with the dealer-installed hitch... not the factory-installed hitch. They're different. ;)

But now we know - works without a hitch, with a factory hitch but not the dealer-installed hitch.
Point taken... what kind of dealer installed hitch? Reese? Still wondering how it would interfere.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Reese (it actually is) fits behind the bumper - right where new pipe ends.

·
Registered
670 Posts
That looks really nice. I always wondered, though - why don't people just take a hack saw and cut off the part that hangs down?
I think because to cut the stock exhaust off in a position to gain clearance would put the exhaust dump pretty far under the vehicle, in which case you'd likely be getting some fumes in the cabin. Just a guess:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just went to my local muffler shop and had them cut off old tailpipe and tack on new bracket tailpipe not even visible. and i get no fumes.. 30 bucks

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks great!
How close is the new pipe to the body and bumper?
Should anyone be concerned that theres no heat sheild?
2.5" from nearest plastic - no concern. I just put my hand on the plastic closest to the tip after 45 minutes of driving - the plastic was cold.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts