Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer: This is my personal installation experience, this is not meant as professional instructions and therefore I am not responsible for any damages, missing content, dismemberment, stupidity, death, divorce, or anything else that you do by using these instructions as a reference tool. This is for entertainment purposes only.

IFS Skid:
(You will need to install loosely if you are installing the Transmission Skid, and install this first)
After you remove the factory front and back portions of the IFS skid, save two of the bolts.
You ALSO have to remove the two brackets that run from the radiator brace to the cross member:

Save two of the bolts from the bracket removal, these will hold the front of the AP skid in place:

The two bolts and two spacers go above the rectangular hole's brace:

The two bolts you saved from the stock skid removal will go in the two back holes of the Aluminum skid's flat part (not the lip that goes up towards the truck):

(Remember, install loosely !!!!)

Transmission Skid:

You will want to install loosely until you have all of the bolts started, you may want to be sure to grease anything, clean anything, prep anything before you do this LOL.

Pretty Simple but a pain to get lined up. Follow the directions from their website!!!

Remove the stock Cat protection braces and retain 4 of these bolts, they will be used, 2 on each side, of the AP skid.

You want the front lip to sit on top of the back lip of the IFS skid.

Here are the two side bolts per side:

The recessed bolts go in the back of the skid.

I found it easier, contrary to instructions, to get these started first, but loosely.

Then I got the front included bolts and nuts installed that join the IFS and Tran skids together.

THEN, tighten everything up to specified torque!!!

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Very nice write up Moose, going to be doing this next weekend.

Thank you,
Marc

Reactions: FJ Moose

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Thanks for the personal experience Moose. I installed mine yesterday.

I have had the Aluminum IFS on for some time. I was able to install the transmission skid without loosening the IFS skid. Got lucky. Placed the front over the IFS, Installed the rear recessed bolts, side bolts (these were a tight fit), and finally the 1" bolts connecting the IFS, and trans skid together. Very solid.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanks for the personal experience Moose. I installed mine yesterday.

I have had the Aluminum IFS on for some time. I was able to install the transmission skid without loosening the IFS skid. Got lucky. Placed the front over the IFS, Installed the rear recessed bolts, side bolts (these were a tight fit), and finally the 1" bolts connecting the IFS, and trans skid together. Very solid.[/QUOTE

When I installed mine a couple weeks back. I was unable to get those recessed screws in. Currently working with All pro to figure out what went wrong!! All else was pretty much cake.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Thanks a lot for the pics and explanation Moose. I completed my IFS steel apex and trans skid today using your comments/tips and pics in this thread. Aluminum or steel, the install procedure is very much the same. I had to dremel out a couple of spots in the trans skid where the cat bolts on the side will go. The recessed bolts wouldn't go in all the way otherwise because the skid wouldn't match all the holes.

Other that this, everything went in great, i'll give them a try tomorrow and see how many rocks I can crush on the trail with this skids, they're dang beefy :)

CAM01029 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ya'll :cheers:

I was amazed, with the correct bit, how easily the dremel cut into the skid to line up the holes.

I also got the transfer case skid installed, but of course, I had to uninstall these two first (loosely) as the transmission skid's rear end goes on after the front of the t-case skid (grrrr LOL )

Again, had a lot more cutting to do to get holes to line up, but it is tight !!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thank you for posting your install, especially the pictures. I received and installed my aluminum IFS engine skid plate last night and your instructions were extremely helpful. I'm very happy with the final outcome. :rocker:

Regards,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

I did scratch them up, pretty bad too, I put them to a good test .....

Top of the World in Moab ... no lift ..... (stupid, stupid, stupid)

BUT !!!!!! Aside from the aluminum IFS, all come out great, just need new paint (they're off now, waiting on good weather for painting). I killed the IFS, but I think it can be repaired with some work. Moab was too much for it, as I had no business on that trail, but nobody (11 trucks) had any clue how bad it really was, and trail damage has it extremely under-rated, that comment was from several veteran off roaders.
I will NOT post pics though, that's not fair, as I said, had I known it was that bad of a trail, I never would have taken an aluminum skid on that without a 3" lift. Also, AP worked with me on a replacement steel IFS. They are awesome to work with, and I greatly appreciate them helping me replace it. That trip cost me a lot of $$ (for me) and it was my "once in a lifetime" opportunity. Hopefully I can change that, and go back to redeem myself, and not get sick twice this time. 2 ER visits out of town is enough for me!

·
Registered
758 Posts
This is an great write up and very thorough! Thank you for taking the time to create this thread.

Although the aluminum might have not been the right skid for that trail with no lift we appreciate customers like you working with us to get you the right products for your needs.

Oh, and thank you for the amazing feedback on our customer service!

Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
How much clearance is lost with the aluminium ifs skid?

·
Registered
48 Posts
For my use and needs, aluminum trail armor makes sense. I really like the Allpro aluminum IFS skid plate. Is AllPro coming out with aluminum versions of their other skid plates and trail armor products? I'd really like to know before making a decision probably later this year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts