Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha! I've always wanted a FJ Cruiser. Back in 2008 it was on my want list but I ended up buying a 2007 IS350, still love it and still runs strong. In 2012 it was time for my wife to get a new vehicle, I tried to encourage her to get an FJ but we ended up getting a 2012 Rav4, no regrets. Now I'm looking at getting an 2008 FJ Cruiser from California shipped to Hawaii from a dealer up there. It went through 1 lease owner and 1 personal owner per carfax, with 140 miles on the clock. It's a 4x4 AT with all terrain package. I'm taking a gamble and taking the sales man word that it is clean inside and out and runs good and mechanically sound. Pictures looks nice but can also be deceiving. I'm paying a little over $16k for it shipped to me. Any thoughts or tips or recommendations I should do besides flying down there? And I don't have anyone I know that could look at it. Also here on Hawaii it's rare to find a 4x4 FJ, or way over priced. Any advise appreciated. Thanks.

Oh and it will be used only for mild off roading and pleasure driving not a daily driver. Yeah I drove some down here so I know how the drive is.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome! Good luck in your purchase! ^^^This is also really good advice.
Thank you! Yes I took his advice

Welcome from VT! Can you get service records - especially frequency of routine maintenance?
I asked, they are unable to get any. The first owner leased it for 4 years. Are they required to show the dealer the maintenance records when they return it back?

Welcome from the UK. You might find someone on the forum who lives close and would check it out for you. Try posting a request in the region discussion.
Thanks, I just posted asking about it over there. Here is the link
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/socal-region/595258-hawaii-newb-member-looking-purchase-fjc-wilmington.html#post8007338

Welcome from Tennessee
Thanks I appreciate it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome! IS350's are cool cars. My brother test drove one and almost bought it before buying a 4runner. The salesman raced it around the parking lot before we got in and said, "This car's a beast!" :lol:
Thanks! Yes I love that car. I love toyotas and rear wheel drive cars with power and needed a 4 door because of young kids. That's how I ended up with the IS350. 133K hawaii miles and still runs like a champ.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,671 Posts
If I were in the position of trying to do a long distance purchase with no one local to the vehicle for eyeballs on, I'd work on getting Toyota to release (or at least describe) the maintenance. Try to discover what dealership serviced it, and have a nice phone chat ;-) IMO frequency and nature of maintenance is the best indicator of true condition, and if services were done by Toyota anywhere, those records are in their system linked to VIN number.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Welcome!

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Welcome! I would certainly have someone on the forum check it out in person to make sure it is mechanically sound.......even if it takes you a few weeks. Don't take a gamble on it, IMHO.

·
A-Team Moderator
7,989 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Mahalo I was stationed in HI for a few years in the service

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I were in the position of trying to do a long distance purchase with no one local to the vehicle for eyeballs on, I'd work on getting Toyota to release (or at least describe) the maintenance. Try to discover what dealership serviced it, and have a nice phone chat ;-) IMO frequency and nature of maintenance is the best indicator of true condition, and if services were done by Toyota anywhere, those records are in their system linked to VIN number.
Thanks for the advice, I tried calling my local Toyota dealer they said the same thing to. I will try call around that area.

Thank you!

Thank you!

Welcome! I would certainly have someone on the forum check it out in person to make sure it is mechanically sound.......even if it takes you a few weeks. Don't take a gamble on it, IMHO.
Hope I can get someone to do so. Thanks!

Aloha!

Which island are you on? There's plenty on the islands via Craigslist that are 4x4, same or less mileage, near that price range. Cheaper to ship inter-island than from the mainland. Check out the one that's Upcountry Makawao on Maui, silver color. MetalTech front bumper

Toyota FJ Cruiser

2007 Toyota FJ CRUISER 4x4

2007 TOYOTA FJ CRUISER TRD 4X4

Good Luck! Shaka
Thanks! Yes I've been stalking CL. I'm actually looking for a non black AT. I still have my 2000 Camaro Z28 6 speed. Tired of driving standard in traffic and black is hard to maintain. I'm on Oahu.

Mahalo I was stationed in HI for a few years in the service
Thank you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did some calling around and found that Elmore Toyota was doing the service since 2008 to 2014 (November). I was told they maintain it as recommended scheduled time. Even spark plugs. Only record didn't show was trans and differential, which the car dealer said they did themselves. 120k miles was last recorded at Elmore, gotta try and find out where the other 2 years and 20k miles it was serviced at.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,671 Posts
Did some calling around and found that Elmore Toyota was doing the service since 2008 to 2014 (November). I was told they maintain it as recommended scheduled time. Even spark plugs. Only record didn't show was trans and differential, which the car dealer said they did themselves. 120k miles was last recorded at Elmore, gotta try and find out where the other 2 years and 20k miles it was serviced at.
Good sleuthing!! You've almost got your info :rocker:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts