Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some Google Earth tracks that I downloaded for the Summit trails last year sometime(don't remember who I got them from) and I have a question about the Alpine Loop run. According to the file I have it looks like you end up not looping back but coming out on the Corckscrew Gulch trail. Can anyone who ran this last year enlighten me? We are going to be spending a few extra days before the summit running some trails we are not signed up for and I don't want to spend time on something that we may be doing on one of the summit runs..

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
As I understand you can go any way back one way is back through silverton

here is the description

Engineer Pass (Alpine Loop)
Trail Rating: Moderate to Challenging

Time: 5 Hours, one-way to Lake City

Engineer Pass is the adventurous section of the famous Alpine Loop—spectacular views, well-preserved mine sites, and an attention-grabbing trail. The most difficult sections are within the first few miles, along the Mineral Creek area, requiring careful wheel placement, slow ascent, and constant patience for picking your way around and over one rock after another. Narrow ledge roads with no guard rails look intimidating and require rapt attention, but are not technically challenging. After the summit, the road becomes wider and less steep heading into Lake City, with great wildlife viewing opportunities.

Return to Ouray via Cinnamon Pass, California Gulch, and Corkscrew, approximately 5-6 hours, for a total round-trip of 11 hours—a very full-day of exploring!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thats what I was afraid of. I was going by the new Backcountry Adventures book for Colorado which only lists Cinnamon Pass as far as the Animas Ghost Town, and I assumed we would just be looping back toward Ouray. The way into Silverton was one of the routes I was going to have us take, but since there is a good chance of us doing that anyway maybe I'll just stay away from that area all together.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
It really takes a long time too, I cant remember what time we left last year but it seemed never ending and we only had 5-6 rigs. Then Blackcherry's CV boot came off and that set us back another hour or so..we were the ones late to the raffle:rofl: I was soo flipping greased up dirty man!

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
We did it in about 6 and a half hours, but we hauled ass (passing Jake's group and another group besides). I think you should plan on an 8-9 hour day.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Yeah I really should have signed up for something shorter...but it will still be fun.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
We did it in about 6 and a half hours, but we hauled ass (passing Jake's group and another group besides). I think you should plan on an 8-9 hour day.
I have the slow boat:rofl::rofl: we were going slow and still got damage to black cherry's CV:rofl: he always had bad luck though. Luckily CraigAZ had extra nuts and bolts for the sway bar...the link lost its screw during our run and ripped the boot off. I always carry extra nuts and bolts now:D and i watch those sway bar links religiously!

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I ran it last year alone and we still took from about 9AM till nearly dinner time Saturday night.

My twelve yr old was bored in the back seat and now refers to it as "The Alpine Loop of Death"

I ran into the greasy driven black cherry rig :mecry: after we left Animas Fork and he was going in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I may just opt to go back over cinnamon and into town. 2 years ago when I first got the rig the trail from the million dollar highway was hardcore huge boulders water running, off camber insane. Last year at the summit it was graded :fight: arggg! Hopefully it will be more fun this year that section rocked! These guys had never seen an fj before and wanted to see me get stuck the funny part is I walked over obstacles better than their fully modded rigs:rofl: they took so many pictures!

·
Registered
47 Posts
When we ran the loop last year it was very scenic, very long and very easy. Our group took a short cut at the end to avoid going back through Silverton.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
No no this guy had the worse luck so bad that he has sold it since then:rofl: he was a cool guy had bad karma or something! there is nothing really hard there it was a total fluke man the sway bar link screw came off it articulated and ripped the boot right off.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Hey extra parts if ya have em are good to bring...you could help out another four wheeler who may have goofed ya know:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Speaking of Alpine Loop info...since I haven't been to Ouray before, do I need to load the Trailheads into my GPS or is there good signage? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but don't want to be at the wrong place at the right time kinda thing. Also need Imogene and Ophir locations.:wave:

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
Speaking of Alpine Loop info...since I haven't been to Ouray before, do I need to load the Trailheads into my GPS or is there good signage? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but don't want to be at the wrong place at the right time kinda thing. Also need Imogene and Ophir locations.:wave:
There is good signage. ...but it never hurts to have them in there anyway. :)

Ophir can be tricky to find.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is there some location where I can get addresses? I've followed a few links, but haven't found any specific info on the exact trailhead locations??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts