Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like many, I bought the Red Dirt Offroad kit for heated mirrors, and again like many never installed them.

It was some time later when I was searching for something else FJ Cruiser related that I came across the fact that Toyota has an OEM part number for heated mirrors! The mirrors have that same rolled feature so there is a wider angle vertically and horizontally. One of the big advantages is that the mirrors aren't just the glass and heating pad, they come with the plastic housing that simply snaps into the mirror mount.

I just thought I would post this in case somebody else does a search - they might find this note.

These are the part numbers. All are a quantity of 1 except for the wires with crimped terminals for the connector - with that you need 5.

Left Hand Mirror, Heated - 87961-35B10
Right Hand Mirror, Heated - 87931-35B40

Mirror Timer Switch - 84871-48020 (15 Minutes)
Green Bulb - 90010-01062
Connector for Timer Switch - 90980-10789
Wire Lengths with Crimped Terminal - 82998-12340 (Qty. 5)

The timer switch comes with an amber bulb, if you want green then you have to order the lamp.
The connector doesn't come with the switch, and it doesn't come with the terminals. The wire lengths are all green and about 6 inches long, but do have the terminals crimped to them.

I had to set up an account with a parts seller in Japan called Amayama - you can pretty much order anything as long as you don't mind it coming by post in a couple of weeks or so. I see some of the parts are available on eBay which gives another option.

Edit: I finally got around to installing the heated mirrors this morning, and that reminded me that others might like to know there is an OEM part number. They can sell them in Japan, but why would anyone in Canada or the US ever need a heated mirror?

·
Registered
359 Posts
^^^^. Thanks for this. I also have a set that has not been installed. This is a great reminder for me to get on it before winter

Dan

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
here are links to two other (old) threads on the subject, one with a detailed step by step to run the wiring (I tapped into the rear heated window circuit for mine)

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/142352-heated-mirrors-jdm-fj.html

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/40856-heated-mirrors-mod-inst.html

Such an awesome mod, for an FJ driven in the winter, and the convex glass helps to minimize/eliminate the driver's blindspot, a HUGE additional bonus.

Norm

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here are links to two other (old) threads on the subject, one with a detailed step by step to run the wiring (I tapped into the rear heated window circuit for mine)

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/142352-heated-mirrors-jdm-fj.html

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/40856-heated-mirrors-mod-inst.html

Such an awesome mod, for an FJ driven in the winter, and the convex glass helps to minimize/eliminate the driver's blindspot, a HUGE additional bonus.

Norm
I'm not sure why I waited so long to install it - think I psyched myself out for some reason.

Along with the links you posted I also watched a YouTube video on how to remove the door panel. Once I got my head around that I had the mirrors changed out and the wiring installed to the center console in about three hours from start to finish.

Note this doesn't include the next step where I need to remove the center console, install the switch and wire it to a relay in that same space. I have power there already from a fuse tap form when I installed a USB charging port.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
"Note this doesn't include the next step where I need to remove the center console, install the switch and wire it to a relay in that same space."

no need, the original back window defroster circuit has plenty of margin in its fuse, switch and wire gauge to handle the mirror heaters = one less switch to have to operate when it is cold out

Norm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts