Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this thread under Misc. Technical Discussion, but I haven't really seen it discussed anywhere else and I think it's such a cool idea, especially for the FJ's since so many of us are driving around at night in areas with a lot of wildlife.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...448-fj-thermal-imaging-pathfindir-camera.html

I know the system this guy installed was close to $3,000 and it sounds awesome but I'm looking for something a little more low budget that might work almost as well. I have seen many different IR cameras on Amazon and other sites that are traditionally used for building surveillance and I wondered if any of you think those types of cameras would be good for this type of application. They claim to be weather proof, but I'm not sure if they are designed for the wear and tear of normal road conditions, much less offroad conditions.

I think the FLIR system enables you to see about 1,000 feet down the road and I can't seem to find much data on these surveillance cameras that could tell me how far they reach. I would think you'd need at least that much in order to give you time to react to an obstruction. Here is a link to the FLIR system that was installed above. Any ideas on how we can make this cheaper??

Thermal Imaging - Night Vision - Cars

·
Registered
188 Posts
Im currently moving but send me a PM I have an idea on where to get some on the cheap and legally. All I ask is u pick me one up to Ill pay for mine you just do the legwork

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
My FLIR camera is good for about 20 yards and better at three feet as it can measure the heat in a 20 gauge wire. What are your objectives to use FLIR?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My FLIR camera is good for about 20 yards and better at three feet as it can measure the heat in a 20 gauge wire. What are your objectives to use FLIR?
My family has a house in the mountains of New Mexico and there are so many elk and deer on the highway leading there that I get nervous about driving at night. With normal headlights or even brights, by the time I see them on the side of the road, I would have no time to react to them if they decided to jump in front of me. I'm just looking for a little advanced warning that something may be in the road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was looking for a cheaper alternative too and found an optical, vision chip like

solution. can't seem to find that company link anymore - but you should start reading

here : Image sensor trims cost of car vision systems

(Im the guy with the FLIR - and its saved me from hitting a family of deer, a kid

running across a pitch black street, and 2 highway speeding tickets so far :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
http://www.deagel.com/library1/medium/2006/m02006120800307.jpg

Sounds like you want a LRAS3 Mounted on that FJ. Might as well throw a 240B mount up there while your at it.

You will need a gunner and A Driver though. Good Luck.

-

We have the Drivers Vision Enhancement systems in the army that you can drive full blackout with but I dont think it would be very practical for non combat use.

EDIT: Just read your thread drphilFJ about your thermal camera. Pretty cool setup but you should look in to a Head Unit with a video input or a flip down headliner mount screen.
Looks a lot like the DVE system I spoke about earlier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts