Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is a great article and thank you for the time and energy you put into it. I have a question about the 130 amp taco alternator install. After installing this alt on your rig did you have to also replace fuses for the alt as well? And if this is the case then what fuse was it and what amp fuse did you use. I would also like to know if it is necessary to upgrade the Big 3 wires (Alt positive and ground wires and positive to starter wire and the ground to frame to use this alt. I am picking a used taco 130 amp alt today from a 2015 with 15,000 KM on it for $125. Seems like the right thing to do. I appreciate any help i can get. Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
after fiddling with my alternator for hours and hours and not able to figure out why its not coming out i think i just discovered the reason: that there is a bolt on the back side of the alternator on my 2010 FJ Cruiser. I unhooked the plugs did the front two bolts and it would not come out. I checked what manuals I could find and they did not show anything back there holding it on but yet it would not come out. So I am guessing I am going to have to take off the drivers side tire and come through the wheel well and try to find that bolt in the picture. This has literally thrown me for days trying to get the alternator off. Mine made the same supercharger noise when accelerating and finally the battery light came on. Had another alternator that would fit but would not turn at all so bought a rebuild kit for the one on mine truck now as the mileage is only 70000. Wish me luck and thanks to everyone that posted on here

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
after fiddling with my alternator for hours and hours and not able to figure out why its not coming out i think i just discovered the reason: that there is a bolt on the back side of the alternator on my 2010 FJ Cruiser. I unhooked the plugs did the front two bolts and it would not come out. I checked what manuals I could find and they did not show anything back there holding it on but yet it would not come out. So I am guessing I am going to have to take off the drivers side tire and come through the wheel well and try to find that bolt in the picture. This has literally thrown me for days trying to get the alternator off. Mine made the same supercharger noise when accelerating and finally the battery light came on. Had another alternator that would fit but would not turn at all so bought a rebuild kit for the one on mine truck now as the mileage is only 70000. Wish me luck and thanks to everyone that posted on here
Remember to pull the alternator up and not forward. It wont come off if you are pulling it forward. Good Luck :)

41 - 43 of 43 Posts