Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First post here, but have been lurking for months before finally buying an FJ about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately the alternator already went out on me (original at 134k, can't be too upset). I'm no pro mechanic but have replaced a couple alternators before without issue and decided to tackle the job myself. Unfortunately its turning into a very difficult job because there is not enough room to remove the electrical plug before it hits the shock mount metal housing. Struggling to figure out what I'm doing wrong and any help would be much appreciated.

· Premium Member
735 Posts
My 2011 has an additional bolt (hidden of course) had to get to it through the driver side wheel well...
HTH
& Welcome aboard!
Darrell

· Registered
135 Posts
I have removed the alternator in my 07 three times and don’t remember having any issues getting any of the connections off. I take the splash guards off in the drivers side wheel well and disconnect the plug/ground wire through the wheel well. Remove the battery and battery tray and pull the alternator up through that space to remove it.
James is right. If you remove the lower bolt and loosen the top bolt you can wiggle it around and that should give to space to remove the plug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.