Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went camping/wheelin' last weekend. Excellent time out in the Crowsnest Pass. However, after a couple of mud puddles, my battery light came on!
I cleaned everything under the hood right away, it was "clean"; not too much mud made it to the front of the engine. My batt. light was still on. My scangauge showed me that I was loosing voltage, fast.
I charged the battery, which let me make it half way to the nearest Toyota (75miles) and charged it again to get me the rest of the way.
Surprise, Toyota told me my battery and alternator are wratched! I guess my question is... why did the alternator crap the bed? Has anyone else had this problem before after wheelin' in some mud? Its not the first time my FJ has been in mud... or was it coincedence? Please share some experiences if you've had this problem before:cheers::bandit:
Toyota did not tell me why it was broken, and I did not want to ask incase they started looking too hard and wanted to void my warranty (not a fight I wanted to have, stranded from home and all...)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Mud and water seize bearings and other parts, corrode parts, and causes overheating. Its a good idea to clean your housing after a good day in the mud. I always give it a good spray with WD40 also. I havent even looked for the starter location on the FJ, but my 350's starter always needs to be rebuilt because of mud and water. mud and water are a real Biatch

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I just spray WD-40 right on the alternator? Inside of it? Can I spray everything to help waterproofing?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I spray it right into it, a few different vent openings. A few good 2 second blasts. No problems with mine yet. Only my pulleys died on me due to the muddy water.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Even if the alternator took a dump, the battery should still be o.k., just low on charge. It didn't sound like you flatlined it. But, if they are replacing it under warranty, smile.... I would.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
14 Posts
This happened to me on my Frontier about a month ago. Good news: You can fix it yourself if you are confident in tearing apart your FJ! On my truck, the alternator is near the bottom. IIRC, it is near the bottom/ middle of an FJ. You'll have to take the belt off, then unbolt the alternator. Once its off, you will need to disassemble the alternator. It will come apart in 3 pieces (inner part and two outer cases. Once its apart, there will be two brushes you need to clean and possible free up, as mud will make them stick so that they don't make contact. Just clean it all good w/ an electronics cleaner or brake cleaner and reassemble. Done, and $300 saved!

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you do this, really check your starter while you are at it. I got water into mine just like your experience. My alternater wails like a banshee and needs to be replaced, but is working. My starter however had a real little bit of water left in it that would not drain out even though there is a drain on the starter. This caused it to Ice up during winter and not start. So while it is warm, i would address it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts