Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 08' FJ into the dealer for routine oil change and they called me back to inform me my alternator is making noise and they believe it's a bearing. $531 to replace it! How hard is it to replace myself? Anyone else done this? Where would be a good place to purchase the replacement alternator? thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Easy to do. What makes them think its bad? Did they remove the belt and spin it ? How many miles on it?

·
Registered
2013 Trail Teams
25 Posts
Easy to do. What makes them think its bad? Did they remove the belt and spin it ? How many miles on it?
Unplug the electrical connection and the sound should go away, plug it back in and the sound comes back.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
(Thread resurrection from 5 years ago, but ...)

"Unplug the electrical connection and the sound should go away, plug it back in and the sound comes back."

If a bearing was physically bad (noisy) due to wear, corrosion, etc., mating or de-mating the electrical connector would not change any bearing-related noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you have a winding noise while driving, especially when beginning to accelerate, your bearings on your alternator are probably starting to go. Good old fashioned method is to place a large screwdriver on the pulley bolt and listen on one ear like a stethoscope. This works on nearly all pulleys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts