Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FJ started making a whiny noise. I took it to the dealership and they said my alternator was going out. 71K.

1. Any suggestions on where to buy a replacement one? New or remanufactured? I have a dual battery setup, so should I get one with the OEM rating of 100 AMP or a higher AMP one? If I get a higher AMP one does anything else need to be replaced?

2. Good place in Dallas area that can replace it? Someone who can check out entire system. Willing to pay someone on this board if they know what they are doing.

3. Anything else that needs to be checked / replaced (i.e belts, wiring, battery)? Don't want to do this again for something else.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Tandem Automotive can help with the replacement and check up of your rig.
Pablo is a great mechanic and has done checkups before my expeditions and wheeling trips.
He specializes in our Off Road Toyota's. I've seen more and more forum members over there when I bring in my rig lately.

Tandem Automotive - Tandem Automotive

·
Registered
338 Posts
A buddy of mine blew through 2 auto zone specials before he bit the bullet and went back to OEM Toyota.
-Greg

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just bought a Remy
94742 NDIISC3P New Alternator | Product Details | Remy Auto Parts

Was looking at an upgrade (130A) but before I could decide my battery light came on yesterday. Not wanting to mess up my dual batteries , I got the Remy since it could be delivered today. Didn't want an AutoZone one, heard too many stories about those.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still working. No issues with it. If you replace it, it is a good time to change the belt as well.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You might try rockauto.com, they carry the OE rebuilt units at a good price. You will need to use your old one for a core charge.
They also carry the 130 Amp unit as well.
I have been real happy with their service during my home install of my supercharger.
While I had things apart I replaced the wear items on the front of the engine a also the coil packs.
Have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts