Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new aluminum FJ Cruiser Roof Rack from Aluminess is light weight, rust-free and increases storage capability for camp gear, kayaks, roof tents, etc.

The standard cross bar rack comes in a durable powder coated finish and weighs 33 pounds (roof rack as shown in pictures below with slats weighs 68 pounds). It tapers to fit the width of the mounting system on the FJ roof and measures 88" L x 51 1/2" W at the front tapering to 48" W at the back. Multiple flooring options are available including slats, expanded aluminum, solid sheet or tread plate. We can customize the size of the roof rack according to your needs.

The cost of the standard cross bar rack is $995 and the roof rack with slats is $1,295

Check out our FJ Cruiser page on our website: FJ Cruisers - Aluminess Products, Inc and contact us with any questions you may have!

Attachments

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
That is one nice looking RACK you have there!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Light weight up top is a great thing.
And I have walked all around on top of our Aluminess roof rack and it doesn't flex or do anything strange.

Very cool new product.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Any idea of the load rating for the rack? Thanks

What kind of options will there be for mounting tools (Hi-Lift, shovel, axe, etc)?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any idea of the load rating for the rack? Thanks

What kind of options will there be for mounting tools (Hi-Lift, shovel, axe, etc)?
We have the ability to include mounts for the axe, shovel and Hi-Lift.

Regarding load rating, the roof rack will hold more weight than the vehicle roof. I am not sure what the manufacturer gives as a limit on their rack. The double loop with spacers is a truss which equals the strength of a beam 7" tall. We can increase the number and size of the cross bars to meet our customers needs. Take a look at the Land Rover roof rack on our web site. It has a roof tent on it. Aluminum Bumpers - Tire Racks - Off Road Products - Aluminess Products, Inc.

The real issue with weight is distribution. Lighter weight in a small space can be more trouble than more weight spread over a larger space. I'll give you an example. We had a small 110 lb secretary upstairs who when she walked down the hall sounded like a jack hammer but her boss 240 lbs on his size 13 wingtips did not make a sound. All her weight was hitting on the 1/2" spike heels. If his shoes were 4" wide he had 2.3 lbs per sq inch. She had 110 lbs per sq inch.

Sorry for all the rhertoric. A light weight rack with cross bars only will hold several hundred pounds. Adding more cross bars and flooring will increase it to 700 plus pounds. The weight is spread over the six mounting locations on the FJ roof. The roof tents have a solid floor so the weight is spread out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
nice, looks like the ARB

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
What are the dimensions of the rack?

I'd like to be able to carry a 4'x8' sheet of plywood on the roof if I ever need should arise. I've carried wood on the roof of my FJ40, never my cruiser, but I'd like to keep my options open.

Also do you have pictures of the mounting options for lights, both front and rear?

Thanks,
-C

1 - 8 of 8 Posts