Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
The recovery points are indeed braced, each one is basically a solid piece of aluminum that goes back into the bumper a good 6-8 inches. When we take it back off to get the winch installed I'll take more pics of the back side :)
Nice. Looking forward to the pics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree the big A in front would really look better/ more custom as an FJ. With it being lighter, I'm thinking a lighter Warn RC9 might continue the theme? I know the mounts are closer together than standard, anyone know if the RC9 winch fairlead will fit this bumper?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
also, the winch lead area is positioned low, is there a reason they didnt put it where the logo is? sorry to nit pick, i really do think its a great looking bumper... congrats!
I hadn't thought of that, but it is a REALLY good idea. It would make a definite improvement in looks if the winch was on the face and the logo was cut into the angled lower face. It would also be more user friendly I think. Imagine the front end being stuck in mud and having to dig into a mud pit to get to your winch b/c it sits so low and is buried. Maybe there isn't enough room to fit the whole winch assembly in the top section.

I know it sounds like I'm bashing this thing, but when I upgrade my bumper, this would be the #1 contender b/c of the weight. But the other issues would definitely have me thinking twice.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I have been reading up on this bumper, and it seems like a good solution.
What I would be curious about is long term durability in regards to bumps and bashes on the trail for the aluminum. Does anyone have any input on that aspect?

·
Banned
2 Posts
I chose the second link you provide in the posting... but it is a simple product announcement from December 2009, but no long term durability information.

What I was asking about was long term information.

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
I hadn't thought of that, but it is a REALLY good idea. It would make a definite improvement in looks if the winch was on the face and the logo was cut into the angled lower face. It would also be more user friendly I think. Imagine the front end being stuck in mud and having to dig into a mud pit to get to your winch b/c it sits so low and is buried. Maybe there isn't enough room to fit the whole winch assembly in the top section.

I know it sounds like I'm bashing this thing, but when I upgrade my bumper, this would be the #1 contender b/c of the weight. But the other issues would definitely have me thinking twice.

From what other bumper manufactures have said, positioning the winch lower minimizes compressing your suspension during the winch. Ideally this would put less stress on your suspension components.

Not sure how much it really provides as far as improvement, but that was the reasoning I had read in a thread on this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
That is a mighty fine looking bumper! And the weight is a huge selling point! I want.....ugh the price is just too high for me at the moment. Adding it to the "save for" list

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Loooks good.... :bigthumb:

You may want to adjust it down a tad, you really want a gap between the bumper and the grill/body parts for flex, when the frame twist different then the body.... Looks real tight in the images...

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Looks good and weight savings is great!

How is the approach angle compared to the stock and other aftermarket bumpers? Does the bumper attach similar (as sturdy) to the Exp1 or Rocktek (especially after seeing & reading about the Road Armor bumper failures)?

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Loooks good.... :bigthumb:

You may want to adjust it down a tad, you really want a gap between the bumper and the grill/body parts for flex, when the frame twist different then the body.... Looks real tight in the images...
I know what you mean... I learned this the hard way with my bumper. Slightly broken bezel, broken side piece under light, loose side marker light, and the 2 small fender welds ripped right out on driver side.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
We have about 1/2" between all the body pieces and the bumper. Done some fun stuff with it & haven't had any issues so far :)

I know what you mean... I learned this the hard way with my bumper. Slightly broken bezel, broken side piece under light, loose side marker light, and the 2 small fender welds ripped right out on driver side.

Def. a better approach angle than stock. There are other bumpers (tube, All Pro for sure) that have a better approach angle, but so far we've done pretty well.

Looks good and weight savings is great!

How is the approach angle compared to the stock and other aftermarket bumpers? Does the bumper attach similar (as sturdy) to the Exp1 or Rocktek (especially after seeing & reading about the Road Armor bumper failures)?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Def. a better approach angle than stock. [/QUOTE]

This is reportedly Stock angles:

A better approach angle would be greater than 33.5. The stock being practically square minimizes approach angle IMO and one of the main reasons to purchase aftermarket bumpers. I assumed that you guys had more access to these bumpers and that would be one of the areas you would judge/review a bumper. Sorry, I just like having all of the information that I can before I make judgment on a product and purchase one. Thanks for the information and great magazine!

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The problem is measuring for angles on a truck with a lift, different tires, AND an aftermarket bumper is not an absolute fair comparison to a straight stock FJ. In our original comparison issue, they way we worked angles was to look at how the bumper sits on the frame relative to other bumpers, which gives you an idea of the clearance advantages.
You can read more about that here:
July 2009 : Volume 2 Issue 3 | FJC Magazine - For FJ Cruiser Owners and Enthusiasts

What it comes down to is that every truck with an aftermarket bumper (and a lift) will perform better on the trail than stock. Just the fact that you're not running plastic w/wings is an improvement as far as capability goes. Since all aftermarket bumpers will be better in this area, it comes down to weight, price, and of course style that matches your needs/wants/desires that will matter the most.

Hope this helps & thanks so much for reading ;)

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Do you have any side pictures for comparison? Like the one I took of my stock:

Most photos shot are from the front or 3/4 front so it's hard to judge those angles on an FJ. I think the Aluminess probably has a good angle, but the box makes it have the appearance that it doesn't. I have previously read the article you attached it it was very informative. In fact, I have all previous editions to current.

I like the weight savings for this bumper, but not so much on the square look (I am looking at the one with the hoop). I like the post FJ Newb made about why the winch location is probably where it is. Makes good sense. Please keep us informed on all aspects of performance. My only other concern was the possible gouging when hitting rocks on approach. At least you don't have to worry about rust though when it does get dinged. thanks!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts