Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd definitely be interested I have 2 fjs one silver and one white the silver has an aluminum front road armor bumper and the white one has a road armor titan (never ever buy from them again) so your aluminum rear with the lighter weight is interesting how long do you think before production ,and also any discount group buys once you start selling?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'd definitely be interested I have 2 fjs one silver and one white the silver has an aluminum front road armor bumper and the white one has a road armor titan (never ever buy from them again) so your aluminum rear with the lighter weight is interesting how long do you think before production ,and also any discount group buys once you start selling?
Ok, here is where we are at with the FJ rear bumper. We have taken our measurements and sketched out our plan. We know what we want to do and I have to say we are excited about the features. The computer design will take a week then the work begins. We have to prototype the bumper and most important the attachment methods. We want customers to use common tools and not have to fabricate something. When we do the prototype process we have to borrow a vehicle again so we always have delays to coordinate with owners. We usually modify the design for something during prototype. In addition we have other design processes going where customers have made deposits on new products or custom projects and we have a policy of meeting those commitments. That means their projects come first and we fit ours in when possible. At this time we do not have any deposits on the FJ rear bumper but a lot of interest. We announced the FJ front bumper during the prototype stage and got a lot of bad press. Some was very constructive and helpful but we want to do a better job this time. The design commitments we have in house now will take 1 week then we have a large project that arrives 3/20 which will take 3 weeks. We hope to finalize the FJ computer design by 3/13 then we find a vehicle for test fit.

Sorry for the lengthy response. Probably more information than you wanted. It is not likely to be completed in March possibly the prototype. We appreciate your interest in the FJ rear bumper we are just overloaded in design commitments.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Thanks for the update!:bigthumb: As you know, I am interested in both a front and rear bumper in the next six months or so. Does the rear bumper for the FJ incorporate lights, like the other ones do on your website?

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
It's great to see a vendor step up and give us another option!!! I understand things do take time and I'm willing to wait and see. Thanks Aluminess!

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
I have waited almost three full years, so what is another few months?!?!:bandit:

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Thanks for the update aluminess. Look forward to seeing what you have in store for the rear swingout/bumper.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Thanks for the update!:bigthumb: As you know, I am interested in both a front and rear bumper in the next six months or so. Does the rear bumper for the FJ incorporate lights, like the other ones do on your website?
:bump:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Well I gotta say as someone who has rolled over certified scales a number of times and knows just how overwgt my rig is the idea of an alum. rear bumper is just crazy cool.

And that pic with the Pull Pal mounted was perfect! That thing is a nightmare to find a place for yet here in the desert we need a land anchor.

Here is what I have learned from many many overland trips with my FJ ranging from 24 days straight to 3 days:
1)The rear bumper has to have a flat top. The FJC just doesn't have much rear space to work with and if you have a Tuffy drawer, or want to access the roof rack with the door open or who knows the flat bumper top really helps.
2) Use the stock hitch. Many folks have the stock hitch and it is an easy place to use the Warn shckle reciever so making the bumper work with that is nice. Otherwise put a hitch into the bumper and increase departure angle.
3) Light cutouts I really like the idea of lots of rear lighting on a trail, however this isn't a must if you have rear facing roof rack lights so call it a nice touch but not a must.
4) Allow the use of the factory backup sensors. A huge reason I went with the Warn rear bumper. Around town in parking lots, around dogs & kids and even on the trail it is ncie to have. A back up camera helps but they sensors are already on the vehicle.
5) If you really wanted to set yourself apart then have the bumper also be an air or water tank. Water would keep that wgt low and mean 1 less jerry can to carry. Air would be nice for those running perm mount compressors and having trouble installing a tank.
6) On the swingout, you can have a latch/load point that is undone & then have the swingout follow the door. That keeps the wgt off of 1 pt (the spindle) and yet alllows the ease of 1 armed opening.
7) Hi-lift/shovel/Pulaski/Pull Pal/Jerry Can/Tire all these things placed in an easy to reach locations vs the roof rack really is a bonus to the disabled community. Granted you can't put it all back there (some can go on the front) but any bit helps.

Wgt is the big issue on our rigs as we only have less than 1200 payload from the factory and that gets eaten up by bumpers, skids, rock rails, roof racks, fridges, recovery gear, people, fuel, water...it goes away fast.

Thanks for bringing us into the process and please keep us posted as you go. That will greatly increase the deposits and guys like me have a habit of dropping off our rigs at places like yours :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Well I gotta say as someone who has rolled over certified scales a number of times and knows just how overwgt my rig is the idea of an alum. rear bumper is just crazy cool.

And that pic with the Pull Pal mounted was perfect! That thing is a nightmare to find a place for yet here in the desert we need a land anchor.

Here is what I have learned from many many overland trips with my FJ ranging from 24 days straight to 3 days:
1)The rear bumper has to have a flat top. The FJC just doesn't have much rear space to work with and if you have a Tuffy drawer, or want to access the roof rack with the door open or who knows the flat bumper top really helps.
2) Use the stock hitch. Many folks have the stock hitch and it is an easy place to use the Warn shckle reciever so making the bumper work with that is nice. Otherwise put a hitch into the bumper and increase departure angle.
3) Light cutouts I really like the idea of lots of rear lighting on a trail, however this isn't a must if you have rear facing roof rack lights so call it a nice touch but not a must.
4) Allow the use of the factory backup sensors. A huge reason I went with the Warn rear bumper. Around town in parking lots, around dogs & kids and even on the trail it is ncie to have. A back up camera helps but they sensors are already on the vehicle.
5) If you really wanted to set yourself apart then have the bumper also be an air or water tank. Water would keep that wgt low and mean 1 less jerry can to carry. Air would be nice for those running perm mount compressors and having trouble installing a tank.
6) On the swingout, you can have a latch/load point that is undone & then have the swingout follow the door. That keeps the wgt off of 1 pt (the spindle) and yet alllows the ease of 1 armed opening.
7) Hi-lift/shovel/Pulaski/Pull Pal/Jerry Can/Tire all these things placed in an easy to reach locations vs the roof rack really is a bonus to the disabled community. Granted you can't put it all back there (some can go on the front) but any bit helps.

Wgt is the big issue on our rigs as we only have less than 1200 payload from the factory and that gets eaten up by bumpers, skids, rock rails, roof racks, fridges, recovery gear, people, fuel, water...it goes away fast.

Thanks for bringing us into the process and please keep us posted as you go. That will greatly increase the deposits and guys like me have a habit of dropping off our rigs at places like yours :)
:clap: X2

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
I'm interested.
It might be 6 months or 8 before I could afford one (or when I trash my stock tupperware, whichever comes first) but I am all about aluminum in places where steel is not necessary for raw strength and hardness.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I am/will be in the market for a rear bumper.
Very interested in Alum.
Keeping stock Hitch, back up sensor a must for me.
Would like to have flat top to stand on to get to rack, back up lights mount option, holes pre drilled for tire carrier rack down the road when $$ permits.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm a big fan of the bumpers you guys make for the Sportsmobiles, so I'm interested in this bumper for the FJC as well, as long as the plan is to leave the spare on the rear door, focusing on the bumper and options to hang various accessories off it, i.e., cans, hi-lift, storage boxes, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
The design commitments we have in house now will take 1 week then we have a large project that arrives 3/20 which will take 3 weeks. We hope to finalize the FJ computer design by 3/13 then we find a vehicle for test fit.

Sorry for the lengthy response. Probably more information than you wanted. It is not likely to be completed in March possibly the prototype. We appreciate your interest in the FJ rear bumper we are just overloaded in design commitments.
It has been awhile, but now that we are into April, any updates on the rear bumper?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ok, here is where we are at with the FJ rear bumper. We have taken our measurements and sketched out our plan. We know what we want to do and I have to say we are excited about the features. The computer design will take a week then the work begins. We have to prototype the bumper and most important the attachment methods. We want customers to use common tools and not have to fabricate something. When we do the prototype process we have to borrow a vehicle again so we always have delays to coordinate with owners. We usually modify the design for something during prototype. In addition we have other design processes going where customers have made deposits on new products or custom projects and we have a policy of meeting those commitments. That means their projects come first and we fit ours in when possible. At this time we do not have any deposits on the FJ rear bumper but a lot of interest. We announced the FJ front bumper during the prototype stage and got a lot of bad press. Some was very constructive and helpful but we want to do a better job this time. The design commitments we have in house now will take 1 week then we have a large project that arrives 3/20 which will take 3 weeks. We hope to finalize the FJ computer design by 3/13 then we find a vehicle for test fit.

My FJ is available for prototype field testing! :)

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
My FJ is available for prototype field testing! :)
x2 . . . but still interested either way . . . just hurry up and get 'em figured out . . . the swing-outs would be great as well.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts