Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They don't seem real popular. Or at least I don't see them listed on most build threads. Seems like a good idea as the weight should be less. And no painting required. Are they up to the task? Or more for mild off road adventures. Thanks, Harry

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Aluminum skids plates from Ricochet are fairly popular on here. They are a supporting vendor and make a great product :cheers:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yah....to the contrary, Ricochet is extremely popular on these forums.

Many members use them in a variety of situations. I have 4 sets of their skids under my FJ myself.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Once I get the money, I'm getting ricochet skids.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
aluminum is great lightweight alternative :cheers:.. we offroad our fj pretty hardcore, and have not felt like we're lacking in protection :)

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I just installed a set of Asfir skids (yes horrible name) from AOTEch. They are light, fit tight, and have steel reinforcement in key areas (crossmember, transfer case skid, bridge between front skid and frame). Overall, I am very pleased with them. Sorry, no pics, but if you go to their website you can see them... Toyota

·
Registered
8,955 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Main issue with aluminum skids is they don't hold up as well. If you are buying the skids to be saccrifical and actually plan to use them you'll end up replacing the aluminum.

If you really use them they'll look like this

If only the other pictures were still uploaded of the guys whose looked like accordion after a few uses.

Like I said, not bad if you plan on replacing them down the line or are really trying to save 30lbs over the steel equivalent (which weight down low is actually beneficial).

Steel skids are stronger than the aluminum equivalents on the market right now. If someone actually built an aluminum skid that matched the same strength as a steel skid the thickness would eliminate your 30lbs of weight savings.

Lighter wheel and tires will have a larger effect on your MPG than skids or bumpers would.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
^^^That is a Rasta skid, and they are no longer available. That is the fuel tank skid, it's not so much the aluminum, it's the anemic mounting brackets. That cross member is a joke.
Steel can bend too.

IMG_2835 by cnckart, on Flickr

If you are really using your skids they will become a consumable. I use my Ricochets all the time, and they aren't as straight as a brand new set, but they do their job just fine. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
I'm quite familiar with the properties of HD plastics, aluminum, steel, and titanium (Prior work experience is in the Machine Tool industry). I never said aluminum skids were a bad thing. I even had your LCA skids, so I'm quite familiar with the product first hand. My point is that Al don't stand up to the same punishment as Steel skids. The majority of FJs probably wouldn't have an issue with this as many don't do much around rocks.

Alternatively, if you plan on playing in the rocks you'll just need to replace them more frequently then their steel counterparts. Some say they stand up great, but I have seen many Al on FJs which have bent to the point that they have to be replaced. Its all a tradeoff in the end when looking at steel vs. aluminum.

My only points to the OP were

1. Al skids don't hold up as well as their steel counterparts in the same situations (why many choose to go with steel).

2. The weight difference between the steel & aluminum skids on the market for FJs isn't the 100lbs that most make it out to be...its closer to 30lbs difference if I recall correctly (could be 10lbs or so off).

3. Weight savings on rotational mass and unsprung mass would make a bigger difference in ride quality than lighter skids will.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I would agree with you. I still think the weight is more than 30 pounds but you are correct in that rotational mass is the biggest culprit. I myself tell people that ask via PM or phone call if they play in the rocks a lot, they may want to consider steel. But that's not to say they are going to fall apart like a sheet of cardboard the first time they see Moab. I ran aluminum on Cliff Hanger. If you've done it you know it's a fairly tough trail. Not the hardest, but not easy. I spent a lot of time on my tank skid that day. It had a substantial bow to it, and lots of scrapes when I was done. When I got home I pulled it off and straightened it out . Bolted on just fine. It's a good thing we have options for our builds. Not one part is going to do the best job for everyone. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Definitely right in that aspect of choices on the market is good and Al isn't going to fold like cardboard on your first trip out. :cheers:

I'm not sure the exact weight of your skids + the OEM (if I recall they use as a backing structural support) weighs. Other posters quoted weights of 122lbs all together for the Ricochet setup. Bud's steel skids are 166lbs for the full setup. So the weight difference would be around ~44lbs.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
122 sounds about right including the tin skids. The whole set also includes the LCA skids which bud doesn't offer. They are 5 lbs a piece with hardware. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I luvs my Ricochet skids... <3

I might not be constantly scraping and bashing rocks all day long but I have definitely hit my skids with some good whacks on rocks and while crushing cars and they are more than adequate for my needs. I certainly would never hesitate in recommending them.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just picked up a 2011 FJ and have the OEM skid plates. I don't really plan on playing in the rocks much but I will be off road.
What type of additional armor should I be considering? And what advantage, if any would I realize by changing out the OEM skid plates?
I am thinking hard about sliders but if I'm not in the rocks...is it worth the investment?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I just picked up a 2011 FJ and have the OEM skid plates. I don't really plan on playing in the rocks much but I will be off road.
What type of additional armor should I be considering? And what advantage, if any would I realize by changing out the OEM skid plates?
I am thinking hard about sliders but if I'm not in the rocks...is it worth the investment?

Thoughts?
Definitely go with sliders. I'm not in the rocks much, but they are great even for pivoting around dirt. It's not hard to cause body damage. Since you're not looking for anything too intense I'd consider Trail Gear sliders. I love mine, and they're a great price for basic sliders.

As far as skids, I'd recommend the front bash plate and transfer case skid (with crossmember) from Ricochet. Al skids are great if you're not in the rocks much, though everyone who has Bud Built skids loves them (from what I've read). I had the Trail Gear transfer case skid first, but bent it my first time out and it rattled against the exhaust. Plus the powder coating didn't hold up well at all. Haven't had any issues with my Ricochets.

With those two skids (bash and transfer case) you should be pretty well protected. If you want, the engine skid is definitely not a bad investment. You'll probably be good without the fuel tank, transmission, or LCA skids, and you can always purchase them later if you start to feel like you need the extra protection. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts