Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this 2010 yesterday from a local private owner whose health was on the decline and wanted to get into a truck. It has right at 117K on it with no mods other than some 285's and some ugly Vision wheels. This is primarily the wife's daily now due to her 2017 RAV4 being totaled a couple of weeks ago. Insurance companies aren't really even trying to repair vehicles lately due to shortages in parts. It was a very light hit on the rear liftgate and bumper. According to the insurance company and the body shop, they couldn't find any replacements. So, we decided to give the FJ's a try. This will primarily be hers as a daily driver and will take some getting used to for her.

At the moment, we are focusing on getting some odds and ends such as a new head unit, OEM floor mats, missing center caps replaced, adding some heated seat elements, and USB ports. From there it'll be starting from square one with every fluid being changed, leveling the front, and getting rid of the current wheel setup. We are experiencing some potential transmission shifting issues that I have addressed in the right discussion in the transmissions section that hopefully, someone can chime in on.
Car Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light

Car Sky Tire Vehicle Wheel
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Sky
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,564 Posts
Hi Phrankenstein, welcome from Ohio!
Nice list of mods.
FYI the OEM floor mats came in two styles; an early style for 2007-10 and a later style for 2011+, the two styles use different hooks. The mats came in a carpet version and a rubber. The 2007-10 rubber version will hard to come by and very expensive, the carpet mats for either style should be reasonably priced as are the rubber 2011+ mats.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Welcome!

Leather seats were never a factory option so you may have some pristine seats under there unless they were reskinned. There were/are some very nice leather seat cover options. Could make adding bun warmers easier.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
43,385 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome!

Leather seats were never a factory option so you may have some pristine seats under there unless they were reskinned. There were/are some very nice leather seat cover options. Could make adding bun warmers easier.
Interesting! As comfortable and as good as they feel I would have figured they were an OEM leather seats option. There’s one place where a seem popped on the center rear head rest that I need to have sewn up. Other than that they are in great shape. Heated seats are on the list. Looking at kits I saw on YouTube videos yesterday.

·
Registered
Previous: 2014 4R SR5P
15 Posts
Welcome!

My window sticker has leather seats on it as a distributor installed option. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
17,152 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome. Looks good.
Loose that brush guard IMO. It kills the angle of approach and causes more harm than good in a bumper bash/front end hit.
I'm not very fond of it. If it's anything like the stocker on my son's 1st gen Xterra it is more of a damage multiplier. Their flimsy and the metal is thin. I had the ARB on my 80 Series and loved it. Might go back with one.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Welcome

On the brush guard, yep the conventional wisdom here is the exact same thing and exact same descriptor -- Damage multiplier. ARB front bumper is good, but heavy and pretty bulky looking and will require suspension or front spring upgrade (as do many others). I would look at everything available (see some of the stickies here with summaries of suspensions, front bumpers, roof racks, etc). I would lose those side steps as well given they hang low, are mounted to body rather than frame and will bend easily if you plan to offroad. Although your wife may need them. Another approach is real rock sliders that mount to frame and have built in steps.

On the interior if it's leather, it is likely a Katzkin leather kit (removes and replaces cloth upholstery) or Clazzio leather seat covers (goes over OEM cloth). Could possible be a RoadWire kit too. If you are a DIY person, take a look at these Katzkin replacement kits for sale over at Tacoma World...he will sell FJ Cruiser Kits not just Tacoma. Also has seat heater kits, etc. 100 pages on his thread with extensive amount of examples of colors and options that people have done with their Tacomas. Colors, thread, piping, inserts, perforated leather vs. non perforated leather, logos, etc are available. I put one of these leather kits in my FJ because the drivers side seat behind your left hip typically gets a wear hole from sliding in/out and there is a hard metal thingy that is very close to the surface of the OEM seat foam. Took me about 8 hours total for front and rear seat install, taking my time and going carefully and slowly. I had never tackled anything related to replacing interior upholstory.

Wheels are OK. I think you mentioned 28575R16 and 16" wheels...which I prefer or the 17" as the sidewall looks meatier and is a little better for offroading. Use to be that 16" tires were cheaper too, but I have noticed not so much anymore.

As far as transmission/shifting issues you mentioned on the other thread...Sounds like due to larger wheels/tires and the HUGE wind resistance to driving a brick down the highway. Out here in Colorado, i find that any slight hill requires a downshift. Also the programming on the transmission and the electronic throttle make for some real lagginess to downshifting. Some people address the sluggish electronic throttle with pedal commander type of products. There is a whole nother thread on Raptor Tune out of Australia for about $800 that seems to improve the responsiveness and transmission shifting on the FJ. You might also clean the MAF and look at changing plugs (if never changed), and perhaps replacing fuel/air and oxygen sensors at your mileage (there are four....use the OEM Denso ones or the Denso ones offered at RockAuto as other report issues with non-OEM or non-Denso (the OEM supplier) sensors).

But, I would also suggest either multiple pan drain and refills of the transmission or trans fluid flush if it has never been done...along with transfer case and front and rear diff fluid changes. Toyota says it is lifetime fluid in the Transmission, but its not. It needs maintenance and changing if you want to get 200-300k out of the transmission. They dont make it easy with no dipstick and just a side port for filling the transmission but its not particularly difficult to change as there is a transmission pan drain bolt.

On the OEM floor mats....dont bother....Way too hard to find and way overpriced since they are largely not available anymore. Look at Weathertech and Husky liners.

6'9" and 345 lbs....im shocked you can fit in any vehicle. I can see why the Fj gives you head room but am amazed that you can move the seat back far enough to get knee room.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I solved the issue of the 55-65 MPH shimmy that we were experiencing yesterday. I took it to have the tires rotated and balanced just to see if that might be the issue. While there, I was alerted to the RR tire that had a strand of wire stuck in the sidewall. Being in the sidewall it's difficult to patch or plug. Due to this being the wife's daily, I said to go ahead a replace it. Turns out, the Westlake brand tires on it were already discontinued. The build date on them was 03/2020. They then showed me the front tires. Both were starting to separate. So...I told them to put stock size 265/75R16 KO2's on it. I've run these on anything from 1 tons, Land Cruisers, company trucks, Full Size Jeeps, and everything in between. For West Texas driving with occasional snow and sand storms, they'll do just fine.

I also installed the 12.3" Android/Apple touchscreen last night. it really wasn't all that bad. I had to remove a little bit of dash material on the left and right sides to get the screen in but it wasn't a big deal. I do have the issue with the hazards and rear defrost not working at the moment but I did come across a thread with a possible resolution to it. I'll handle that tonight and see what happens. Our next list of items to check off will be the Raptor Tune, TRD wheels, 2" front level kit, better front lighting, better speakers, and maintenance.

I've already ordered Denso O2 Sensors (4), Denso Plugs, Ignition Coils, and all the fluids.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts