Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I submitted to change the title of this post about a half hour ago. Hopefully the site makes the changes sooner than later. Thats the best I can do for now!
I'm sure I'm not the first or last person to post a thread in the heat of the moment... Anyone else that is butt hurt I'm sure will get over it by tomorrow:)
That's very stand up of you :)
And no, you are not the first, nor the last person, to post in the heat of the moment. I too am Guilty of that. We probably all are.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I wonder if the Internet ever gets tired of being yelled at when someone does something wrong.
I'm sure the Internet is very happy that the Cloud has been having it's share of problems. Nice to have the heat taken off momentarily. Sad though that neither knows they are one and the same. Kind of like, Father, Son and Holy Ghost. How can one be the other, or one without the other. No internet, no cloud. Sucks to be them. so much responsibility.:|

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The vinyl is top quality. It sounds like to me that you have a local shop trying to get you to distrust a third party so you will pay them more money.

In the world of vinyl graphics and wraps (the hood vinyl is more of a wrap than a graphic), it is VERY common practice to have extra vinyl to wrap around edges. This produces a clean smooth line of transition.

Your local shop is a joke, like most things in Houston.
Very quote worthy response! :rofl:

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I submitted to change the title of this post about a half hour ago. Hopefully the site makes the changes sooner than later. Thats the best I can do for now!
I'm sure I'm not the first or last person to post a thread in the heat of the moment... Anyone else that is butt hurt I'm sure will get over it by tomorrow:)
I love it, now if we could only get one of our Mods off their asses to clear this up.:grin

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Related question that I hope is not a thread heist: I am in the market to get this decal for my FJ, and have noticed a few different vinyl thicknesses being offerred by different vendors, i.e. 1.5mil vs 2-3mil. Anyone with experience of a thicker vinyl vs thinner? Longevity? Deeper color? Thinking it likely makes little difference in the end.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
May have to do with how its applied or longevity. They usually are rated in years as well.

The shop I went to used small torches to heat and stretch the vinyl they used. I gave them the Amaesing hood graphic to install as well... which they said differed from theirs. They transferred it onto backing and marked off the hood to apply it (rather than the peal off wet spray method).

So apparently there are different types out there.

They also said tire foam over spray can ruin the matte wraps.
If you wax matte, soon you will end up with a satin finish.

The matte they sold was much more flat than the Amaesing decal. I ended up using satin black on the rest (cowl, roof) as it almost matches the Amaesing matte finish (in most lights) and I still get the anti glare of a matte hood finish.

Related question that I hope is not a
thread heist: I am in the market to get this decal for my FJ, and have noticed a few different vinyl thicknesses being offerred by different vendors, i.e. 1.5mil vs 2-3mil. Anyone with experience of a thicker vinyl vs thinner? Longevity? Deeper color? Thinking it likely makes little difference in the end.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Still not sure how that happened? (I assume they installed it starting at the back of the hood, ending up with excess hanging over the hood lip in the front... then picked up a phone and called you to say it was your fault for buying something they agreed to install?)

If so, that is shoddy. Their fault fully at their cost.

At the shop I used, I was able to discuss the design I had and go through photos of other trucks showing the idea. We unrolled and looked at the hood decal and selected colors. On the day of, I walked through everything in the shop around the truck. The installers went over hood placement and other major lines with me. I even blue taped several lines myself to show where I wanted things on the additional areas. Brainstormed a bit on ways to do things.

Point is, I can't believe the shop, or installer is that good if they fully don't understand the project to start with. Check, double check, tape, test fit, ask questions...

Hard to believe the shop is even involving you in this, rather than just using their vinyl to cut you a new hood graphic and install.

Yah, I was unaware of the install video. Shame on me for assuming there would be instructions detailed enough for an auto graphics shop to not mess it up. Sigh.
Thanks, I hope so too. I guess I'll need to purchase another and hope that they cut off some of the install price?

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
This thread has been hilarious. Thanks for the entertainment!

·
Premium Member
10,871 Posts
G'day,
I have not seen any request to change the title etc..... has it been done ?
If not let me know how / what you want changed and I'll fix it for you
cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Sorry about your problems with this graphic. I installed mine with help from a friend several years back and I have nothing negative to say about mine. It's held up well.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
I love it, now if we could only get one of our Mods off their asses to clear this up.:grin
Sorry i was too busy counting all the money I make to do this :thefinger:

Ive change the name and as for the comment "As are most things in Houston" at least we dont have the Cowboys...:lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
G'day,
I have not seen any request to change the title etc..... has it been done ?
If not let me know how / what you want changed and I'll fix it for you
cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
I didnt either Baz but have changed it anyways :smile

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Sorry i was too busy counting all the money I make to do this :thefinger:

Ive change the name and as for the comment "As are most things in Houston" at least we dont have the Cowboys...:lol::lol:

I said most things, not all things. :jester;

And I hate the Cowboys.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I installed mine years ago with the help of some friends that had done some vinyl back in the day. As other folks have mentioned, the vinyl shop should have known what they are doing. It is common practice with vinyl to have extra to wrap around the edges (something the shop should know). Also they should have laid it out to test fit first (common practice as well).

Think about how tint shops work, they test fit things first.

Let us know how it goes with the vinyl shop.

The only complaint I have about my hood decal, is it is time for a new one now. Years of being out in the elements and extreme temps from the sun or engine or both have made it shrink up or crack in places. 4 years of abuse. Will be throwing on a new one from Amaesing this Saturday.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Is it just me or does this new title just bring out the happy in everyone?

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
21 - 40 of 50 Posts