Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Amazon Android Stereo suggestion

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  SmartJim 
#1 ·
Good day, planning to do a stereo upgrade. Any recommendation re: best Amazon stereo available for FJ cruiser? I am from Canada, so kindly refer Amazon.ca. Any advise on : Steering wheel control hook up, size of the stereo and things like that are greatly appreciated.

Vehicle : 2007 FJ.

#2 ·
You will quickly learn that the FJ uses a 200mm width double din headunit that is a little wider than regular double din units. You can still use a regular double din but you will have some extra space in both sides of your headunit that gets covered with an adapter. Personally, I want something that looks stock so ordered a 200mm unit from eBay pioneer model AVH-ZL5150BT. It's primarily sold in the Australian market and I chose it because it is 200mm wide, has volume controls on the left so it's close to the driver, and has Android auto and steering wheel control support. I haven't gotten it installed yet so can't really comment on it but should have it in the next few weeks

#4 ·
I looked real hard at 200mm head units from Pioneer and Kenwood and decided not to go that route because of several reasons. Biggest reason was they cost at least 50% more and have fewer features than head units designed for the North American market. I like HD radio and wanted Idata Maestro interface. None of the Australian 200mm Pioneer or Kenwood units have those features. They also won't play North American DVDs. Last issue is the lack of warranty service since they aren't intended for use in North America. These units simply weren't a good value in my eyes.

I purchased and installed the Pioneer AVH-2550NEX in my 2008 6MT with 9 speaker audio. I'm presently using it with the Toyota stock speakers and I'm very happy with it. Been using it about 3 weeks. I plan to update all the speakers and add a 5 channel amp in about the next month but for now it sounds really nice. The Pioneer head unit sounds noticeably better than the FJammer even using the stock speakers. It is a standard double din size. I used the Metra side spacer brackets and it looks just fine. The cosmetics of the spacers turned out to really be a non issue after I installed it. The Pioneer AVH-2550NEX works with Android or Apple CarPlay. I installed a parking brake bypass from Amazon and it works perfectly. I used the Idatalink Maestro RR and Toyota TO1 harness to integrate the radio and steering buttons. It works perfectly. You also get gauge displays on the head unit screen because the Maestro RR taps into the OBD2 port. I read all sorts of horror stories about difficulties with installing the Maestro but I encountered none of that. I downloaded all the instructions, flashed the module on my iMac and it worked perfect first time. Even the subwoofer and my AUX input work. Idatalink/Maestro is a Canadian company that actually answers the phone if you call them. Nice folks.

Bibb in San Antonio

#5 ·
I paid $500 on eBay for the 200mm AVH-ZL5150BT. It is lacking Sirius/hd radio but I was able to source plug and play harnesses for steering wheel control, USB, backup cam, etc. It supports bluetooth, Android auto which is the most important factor for me. in fact I can use Sirius through Android auto and get nav, google/spotify, streaming music etc. The steering wheel controls are actually programmable through the head unit menus, no need for an adapter. I also like that it has screen tilt function and customized colors. I should have it installed In a couple weeks so will report back with more info once it's done for those that are interested.

I looked real hard at 200mm head units from Pioneer and Kenwood and decided not to go that route because of several reasons. Biggest reason was they cost at least 50% more and have fewer features than head units designed for the North American market. I like HD radio and wanted Idata Maestro interface. None of the Australian 200mm Pioneer or Kenwood units have those features. They also won't play North American DVDs. Last issue is the lack of warranty service since they aren't intended for use in North America. These units simply weren't a good value in my eyes.

I purchased and installed the Pioneer AVH-2550NEX in my 2008 6MT with 9 speaker audio. I'm presently using it with the Toyota stock speakers and I'm very happy with it. Been using it about 3 weeks. I plan to update all the speakers and add a 5 channel amp in about the next month but for now it sounds really nice. The Pioneer head unit sounds noticeably better than the FJammer even using the stock speakers. It is a standard double din size. I used the Metra side spacer brackets and it looks just fine. The cosmetics of the spacers turned out to really be a non issue after I installed it. The Pioneer AVH-2550NEX works with Android or Apple CarPlay. I installed a parking brake bypass from Amazon and it works perfectly. I used the Idatalink Maestro RR and Toyota TO1 harness to integrate the radio and steering buttons. It works perfectly. You also get gauge displays on the head unit screen because the Maestro RR taps into the OBD2 port. I read all sorts of horror stories about difficulties with installing the Maestro but I encountered none of that. I downloaded all the instructions, flashed the module on my iMac and it worked perfect first time. Even the subwoofer and my AUX input work. Idatalink/Maestro is a Canadian company that actually answers the phone if you call them. Nice folks.

Bibb in San Antonio

#6 ·
Different features are obviously more or less important to different people. Thats why there's hundreds of head units out there to choose from. As I said, the HD Radio and Maestro interface was important to me. The Maestro allowed me to effortlessly update my 2008 steering wheel to dual controls like a 2010+ model and customize the functions of all the buttons. Just flashed the module as if I were installing into a 2010 FJ. There are obviously cheaper ways(Metra or PAC) to tie into the basic steering controls but the Maestro was the route a chose for my needs.

The AVH-2550NEX was $280.25 delivered to my door in 2 days from Drive in Auto Sound who is an Authorized Pioneer USA Internet Dealer. I had forgotten about the motorized screen on the AVH-ZL5150BT. Thats how they are able to make the screen larger and still incorporate the disc player. That was one of the other reasons I didn't buy it. I'm not a fan of motorized screens on radios or tilting screens on digital cameras.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.