Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when going up hills on the highways i live near here in Cali i can sense an ammonia smell coming from the dashboard vents...? that's the best way i can describe the smell.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's not over whelming but it's enough to know it it's never smelled like it before. temp gauge is normal. i'll do some trouble shooting tomorrow to see if i can't find what's going on...... it's broken the 30k mark and i know i need to change all the fluids but i've never heard of any gear oils smelling like what i've got going on

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I got this smell when my charcoal canister filters went bad :(

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
That is the exact same smell that comes from my exhaust. Nothing to be alarmed about. I could only smell mine when the rear window was cracked open, though. Worse still when going uphill. Problem was fixed when I changed the exhaust tip to side-exit.

Is it possible you have an exhaust leak up front somewhere?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ammonia? Are you sure you guys aren't referring to H2S...hydrogen sulfide "rotten egg" type stink as the platinum in the catalytic converter does it's thing? I can't think of any chemical reaction associated with an internal combustion engine that would result in ammonia odors.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Trust me, it has a funky ammonia smell. I drive with my rear window open quite a bit. It's very strong when you are on the gas. That's why I had my exhaust tip routed to side exit. It helped a lot.

Why it smells like that, I have no idea. But if that smell is coming through the dash or vents.... It may be an exhaust leak.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Mildew maybe?

·
Registered
221 Posts
OK I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser with 37K miles on it. I too am getting the Ammonia smell. For all the haters (seen on other posts) I am a chemist and know the distinct difference between Hydrogen Sulfide H2S and Ammonia NH3. The only wiggle room I would give on the smell not being only ammonia is that it smells very rich in fuel also. Problem has just been noticed in the last ~1000 miles.

Going uphill with rear window open (My dog loves open rear window) will burn our nostrils and water our eyes. Our poor dog even makes this sad face when it occurs. I see there is a tech bulletin on catalytic converters, want to know if there has been a definitive solution to this problem that I can fix in my garage before heading to the stealership.

I plan to change spark plugs, 02 sensor, and clean the MAF sensor. Any other items to review/replace before I get to the cats? I will report back if that has helped when that is accomplished in the next week or so.

I have seen other threads degenerate on this topic I ask nicely for solutions that address the issue. I want to fix issue not reroute exhaust to no longer smell it. Please offer suggestions.

I will post my progress as I go.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Ammonia? Are you sure you guys aren't referring to H2S...hydrogen sulfide "rotten egg" type stink as the platinum in the catalytic converter does it's thing? I can't think of any chemical reaction associated with an internal combustion engine that would result in ammonia odors.
X2

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
19 Posts
If I had to guess, it could be your A/C system. I'm not sure what kind of refrigerant is used in the FJ, or if it has any odor, but if it was leaking, that could cause the smell. That is if it is not what others have suggested here.

Ignore all grammatical errors or misspellings, because I sent this from my phone.

·
Registered
538 Posts
OK I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser with 37K miles on it. I too am getting the Ammonia smell. For all the haters (seen on other posts) I am a chemist and know the distinct difference between Hydrogen Sulfide H2S and Ammonia NH3. The only wiggle room I would give on the smell not being only ammonia is that it smells very rich in fuel also. Problem has just been noticed in the last ~1000 miles.

Going uphill with rear window open (My dog loves open rear window) will burn our nostrils and water our eyes. Our poor dog even makes this sad face when it occurs. I see there is a tech bulletin on catalytic converters, want to know if there has been a definitive solution to this problem that I can fix in my garage before heading to the stealership.

I plan to change spark plugs, 02 sensor, and clean the MAF sensor. Any other items to review/replace before I get to the cats? I will report back if that has helped when that is accomplished in the next week or so.

I have seen other threads degenerate on this topic I ask nicely for solutions that address the issue. I want to fix issue not reroute exhaust to no longer smell it. Please offer suggestions.

I will post my progress as I go.
The rich fuel idea sounds like other threads found elsewhere on the forum about the thermostat going bad. If I'm not mistaken, I think it starts around the 35-40k mile mark.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks but refer to my previous. If you open up a bottle of ammonia unscented.. you have the smell. If you leave an egg out for a week or have well water in Florida you have H2S smell.

Here is a published paper on NH3 emissions form the EPA in SUV light trucks. So thank you for your input. But I hold to it is NH3. I have tried different fuel sources to no avail.

http://www.epa.gov/ttnchie1/conference/ei10/ammonia/durbin.pdf

·
Registered
221 Posts
The rich fuel idea sounds like other threads found elsewhere on the forum about the thermostat going bad. If I'm not mistaken, I think it starts around the 35-40k mile mark.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Ok this makes some sense as it would skew the equilibrium of combustion over the cat possibly creating less sulfur emissions. Check out the article proving NH3 is in vehicle exhausts. They postulate less sulfur compounds on the cat area allows for secondary catalytic reaction to produce NH3.

I will search, but if you know would this be the thermostat on the MAF, the thermostat for my coolant flow seems to be normal.

Thank You for a plausible lead :cheers:

·
Registered
221 Posts
If I had to guess, it could be your A/C system. I'm not sure what kind of refrigerant is used in the FJ, or if it has any odor, but if it was leaking, that could cause the smell. That is if it is not what others have suggested here.

Ignore all grammatical errors or misspellings, because I sent this from my phone.
Fair enough on possible source of chemical smell, but I do not have the A/C running at that time. I can check to see if the pressure is good. I suspect it is fine as the A/C is ICE COLD, and no hose freezing is observed, common occurrence for low gas levels.

Thanks for something to review. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts