Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

amp in a box?? light my car on fire??

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  bone3412 
#1 ·
so I recently built a couple of sub boxes and mounted them above my wheel wells to save room in the bed of the FJ. they are not wide enough though to mount the amp on top of them. nor is there room behind the box to mount the sub. currently it is mounted up and down from the floor to the base of the box. this isnt the best place to put it because it is not protected well or savin much room. my not-so-but-kinda-girlfriend threw out the idea of building a floor storage box with different compartments, may be a drawer, and then a separate space for the amp. my question is if I put the amp in a compartment in this floor box can I have it covered or will it get to hot, burn out the amp, cause the fj to burst into flames ect. any info is appreciated

#11 ·
Are you kidding me ray charles?
:rofl: sorry I didnt realize you had posted something further up, Im usually on here in the middle of the night after workin for like 15 hours. but thank you for not making me feel like an idiot or anything... :mecry:

#7 ·
Some one else on this forum, in a different thread about pets in the back, said there is something you can buy to run A/C to the rear for the dogs. you could put the amps inside the box/drawers you build and then run these tobes to the amp compartment to keep it cool. I don't know what you will do in the winter though because then those tubes will push hot air onto the already hot amps?
Maybe you could build in a fan that runs off the amp that draws the hot air around the amp out, kind of like a computer.

#8 ·
#9 · (Edited)
We have two mounted like this.....

Our two subs are in a Wicked CAS box on the other side.

(Ignore the gigantic dog drool.)

But since you already built the boxes.....this set up probably won't work for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.