Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install new 2-way component speakers, along with a new HU and an Alpine PDX 4.100 amp (chosen because of its small size). My plan right now is to run active, so I would like the amp to be easily accessible (yet out of the way) for tuning of the sound. I'm wondering if it would be feasible to mount the amp in the inside wall in the rear, above the left rear speaker well? It would be out of the way of things tossed into the cargo area, but also easily accessible--any thoughts?

Also, I'm putting in a new HU (Alpine 9886); I've read over and over that if I turn off the HU's internal amps, SQ will improve. I had planned on driving the rear spkers with the HU's amp, just for some rear fill, but that's not hugely important. My question is the improvement in SQ from turning off the HU's internal amp really significant?

I'm having the system installed by a custom installer, but wondered if any of the pro's on here could provide any input.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I'm getting ready to install new 2-way component speakers, along with a new HU and an Alpine PDX 4.100 amp (chosen because of its small size). My plan right now is to run active, so I would like the amp to be easily accessible (yet out of the way) for tuning of the sound. I'm wondering if it would be feasible to mount the amp in the inside wall in the rear, above the left rear speaker well? It would be out of the way of things tossed into the cargo area, but also easily accessible--any thoughts?

Also, I'm putting in a new HU (Alpine 9886); I've read over and over that if I turn off the HU's internal amps, SQ will improve. I had planned on driving the rear spkers with the HU's amp, just for some rear fill, but that's not hugely important. My question is the improvement in SQ from turning off the HU's internal amp really significant?

I'm having the system installed by a custom installer, but wondered if any of the pro's on here could provide any input.

Thanks!
a few issues rise from installing it in the rear wall. heat is number one. and the bracketry for proper install is going to have to be creative. it isnt impossible, just takes a qualified installer to do it. as far as the head unit goes, good choice. i am going to the same one from a 9855. if you plan on just using rear fill with no external amplifier, do it with this and the stock speakers. if you change out the rear speakers, do a 6.5" coaxial or a 5.25" component set in a pod powered by an external amplifier. you will most likely notice a better sound with a little rear fill than with just the front speakers. what processor and components are you going to use for your front active setup? i am/was running a full active setup up front with zapco amps and components with the zapco dsp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having to do this in steps for budget reasons; I'm working with Scott B. of Hybrid Audio. Going with the Legatia 6.2 components (have to have a bit of passive x-over for the tweets due to lack of high enough x-over on my existing amp); we are going to try the mid-woof running full range at first. Will likely have to add DSP as soon as I can afford it.

I have some NIB 15 year old MB Quart coax (their top of line series back then), almost 4", that I was thinking of trying to put in the rear pillars (of course have to do some mod re a baffle or something given size) and use these for rear fill. The Quarts were for an install I was going to do way back when and never got it all done :).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Why are you not considering mounting the amp(s) under the front seats? That's the place most forum members seem to use.

4" coaxes in the rear pillars will work fine as long as you something like what I did here. There's no rule that says 4" speakers are bad, but 5 1/4" speakers are good. 4" speakers have a bad rep because they're usually mounted in compromised locations with no baffle. Add a decent baffle, and they can sound worthy of their brand name and the $$ you spent for them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After another night's worth of research, I'm likely to go with a different amp (JL Audio 450/4, and install under passenger seat....which means I screwed up in buying the Alpine PDX 4.100; so if anyone is interested in taking advantage of my mistake, I will make 'em a great deal on the Alpine before I go thru the hassles of listing it on Ebay....:).

I have good Ebay feedback (Audioclyde), but only as a buyer; for much more good feedback on a home audio site, check me out as "Rrsclyde" on Audiogon.com.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Just a warning. I went through 2 JL Audio 450/4. I kept losing channels. Im sure they have the problem fixed by now but JL hasnt been making amps very long. You may want to rethink selling that Alpine amp. I know people often judge an amp by its weight and external heat syncs but its whats inside that counts. Although not as glamourous, people often overlook Apline amps dependability.

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not stuck on JL Audio, but need an amp that has higher HP x-over settings than the Alpine--any suggestions/alternatives in similar price range?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Just a warning. I went through 2 JL Audio 450/4. I kept losing channels. Im sure they have the problem fixed by now but JL hasnt been making amps very long. You may want to rethink selling that Alpine amp. I know people often judge an amp by its weight and external heat syncs but its whats inside that counts. Although not as glamourous, people often overlook Apline amps dependability.

Good luck.
JL doesnt even make them. like everyone else they have them made to their specs by someone else. i have went through 3 500/1's. and the 500/1's have gone through a lot of woofers. theres a whole lot of clipping and ugly things that go on with those amplifiers.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
JL doesnt even make them. like everyone else they have them made to their specs by someone else. i have went through 3 500/1's. and the 500/1's have gone through a lot of woofers. theres a whole lot of clipping and ugly things that go on with those amplifiers.
Doesn't surprise me. Man the JL amps do look (and feel like tanks).

I've spent way too much on car audio in the last 16 years. I have put Alpines through the ringer and never had one go out on me.

I'm just an all around Alpine fan. Seems like whenever I stray away and buy a different brand, I regret it.

Good luck with the install. Im trying so hard to not tare this tacoma apart.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Doesn't surprise me. Man the JL amps do look (and feel like tanks).

I've spent way too much on car audio in the last 16 years. I have put Alpines through the ringer and never had one go out on me.

I'm just an all around Alpine fan. Seems like whenever I stray away and buy a different brand, I regret it.

Good luck with the install. Im trying so hard to not tare this tacoma apart.
yea, they are heavy as ****. they easily outweight my zapcos which are twice as long. alpine makes a good product. i have yet to really play with a pdx setup, the last one i heard was in the new alpine car (mercedes), which i can tell you doesnt sound that great. motorization is cool, but they (every major show car builder) cut a lot of corners on the cars to get them out to the shows. the car itself probably really needs to be tuned up as well.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
yea, they are heavy as ****. they easily outweight my zapcos which are twice as long. alpine makes a good product. i have yet to really play with a pdx setup, the last one i heard was in the new alpine car (mercedes), which i can tell you doesnt sound that great. motorization is cool, but they (every major show car builder) cut a lot of corners on the cars to get them out to the shows. the car itself probably really needs to be tuned up as well.
The pdx is artwork. I havent heard one but they are sexy as hell

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From visiting with Scott B. of Hybrid Audio, I can probably use the PDX, but will have to put a capacitor/x-over in front of the tweeters.

I can't spend the $ right now for the Zapco DC :).

What do you guys know about the Sundown amps?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
From visiting with Scott B. of Hybrid Audio, I can probably use the PDX, but will have to put a capacitor/x-over in front of the tweeters.

I can't spend the $ right now for the Zapco DC :).

What do you guys know about the Sundown amps?
if you are considering JL slash series, you can afford a DC. you can pick them up from dealers cheaper than listed on their website.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like the DC 360.4 would be the only thing close to my price range--what would be a reasonable price range? Also, from what I've read these are conservatively rated, but that would only be 50 w to my mid/woofs. Finally, looking at the dimensions, going with this would rule out locating under the passenger seat correct?

thanks!

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Looks like the DC 360.4 would be the only thing close to my price range--what would be a reasonable price range? Also, from what I've read these are conservatively rated, but that would only be 50 w to my mid/woofs. Finally, looking at the dimensions, going with this would rule out locating under the passenger seat correct?

thanks!
probably not under the seat. it is an awesome amp, and you have endless tuning capabilities. you wont have to buy a processor since it has the best DSP unit out built into it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can I expect to do any better than the $599 price Woofers.etc quotes from a dealer? If the 50 wpc is enough for my mid/woofers, maybe I should try to stretch. I haven't measured, but I'm guessing it could mount on the left rear side above the wheel....

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Can I expect to do any better than the $599 price Woofers.etc quotes from a dealer? If the 50 wpc is enough for my mid/woofers, maybe I should try to stretch. I haven't measured, but I'm guessing it could mount on the left rear side above the wheel....
yea, my DC650.6 and DC1100.1 almost fit there. if you are going active, that is enough power.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts