Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand there is room under the seats for amp mounts..for those who have done it, can you share exactly how much room there is, or what amp fits? I am considering putting a kicker amp (5 channel) in that is approximately 20" long, wondering if it would fit under the seat or elsewhere? Obviously, I'm still waiting on my FJ, so can't measure myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
As a heads up, there are two air flow vents under each seat point to the rear. Obviously blocking those isn't a good idea but there still might be space for an amp. I'm sure the audiophiles in forum have it sorted out but it's worth double checking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My installer said not enough room under seats-so he mounted it in the center of the rt rear seatback! I lost all respect. Made him move it over to where the optional sub would be. I guess size of amp would help determine options.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
...But they may be inflicted by water when at maximum forging :confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
huc said:
As a heads up, there are two air flow vents under each seat point to the rear. Obviously blocking those isn't a good idea but there still might be space for an amp. I'm sure the audiophiles in forum have it sorted out but it's worth double checking.
Yeah, I am a bit concerned about the size of the amp I would like to use. I might have to go to 2 or possibly 3 small amps (one under each seat, and in the sub-box). I would prefer a rather stealth setup.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have this amp under the drivers seat, fits with ease. It does not block the air vent, it has feet and actually sits over the air vent without interupting the air flow.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eAQrJLmd00g/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=100&I=500MRPF450&search=mrp-f450

I'll get some pics of it tonight

You may not need a 5 channel amp, my installer put the 6 front speakers off the head unit, mine actually had plenty of power for them. He put 2 chanels to the rear and 2 for the sub. at less than 50% I'm going deaf.

Here's the link to my stereo thread and pics (Pg2)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ruebarb said:
I have this amp under the drivers seat, fits with ease. It does not block the air vent, it has feet and actually sits over the air vent without interupting the air flow.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eAQrJLmd00g/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=100&I=500MRPF450&search=mrp-f450

I'll get some pics of it tonight

You may not need a 5 channel amp, my installer put the 6 front speakers off the head unit, mine actually had plenty of power for them. He put 2 chanels to the rear and 2 for the sub. at less than 50% I'm going deaf.

Here's the link to my stereo thread and pics (Pg2)
Thanks for the info, and I'd love to see some pics (I will search out your thread). I was thinking about using the head unit as you did to power a portion of the system, but I had an earlier model Kicker 5 channel amp (in a '81 FJ40) that was awesome, so I am kind of partial to that set up if I can find room for it. I like the idea of being able to balance the power feed everywhere from one unit and the dynamic response you get from having basically a lot of excess power. Not to suggest your system doesn't sound great - I'm sure it does (I have a very similar setup in my 4 runner). I play guitar through a tube Mesa Boogie, and always looking for that "perfect sound". A bit anal in this regard probably?? Thanks again!

·
Registered
78 Posts
The two seats are slightly different. Here are pics of the underside of the driver seat vs. the passenger seat. They have different metal brackets underneath them for holding the wiring harnesses. The passenger seat actually has MORE wiring harnesses than the drivers seat, most likely because the passenger seat requires a weight sensor for the seat belt light.

Here's the drivers seat. Only 2 wiring harnesses that mount on the thick rail.

Here's the passenger seat. The thick rail is different, plus a thin sheetmetal piece is riveted to the thick bracket.

There was plenty of room for me to mount an Alpine NAV box under the driver seat. I attached it with brackets to the thick rail under the drivers seat. I have a couple of inches of clearance from the heater vents under the seat.

I'm pretty sure you could fit an amp under there. Just make sure you leave room for the seat bottom to come down when you sit down.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
DJ Qube said:
Just make sure you leave room for the seat bottom to come down when you sit down.
So are you saying 308tr6 is fat?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the pics, that's awesome. I am reasonably optimistic that the amp I want will fit. And that fat comment...I read that while eating a Payday bar after lunch...just a coincidence right? Could happen to anybody..right?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
308tr6 said:
Thanks for the pics, that's awesome. I am reasonably optimistic that the amp I want will fit. And that fat comment...I read that while eating a Payday bar after lunch...just a coincidence right? Could happen to anybody..right?
It's ok, the food won't judge you

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the pics! That looks like a good fit with your amp, but the additional length of what I am considering is probably going to be questionable. Maybe the 4 channel is the better route here, (I think you tried to tell me that already..) Anyway, thanks again for the pics, it is very appreciated.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
My only problem with mounting the amp under the seat is you couldn't hose out the floor of your FJ. Is there room somewhere in the back panel area for an amp to be mounted??? Is there room where the jack is kept or a storage compartment back there, maybe not enough air flow.

Has anyone mounted an amp anywhere besides under the seat???

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
308tr6 said:
Thank you for the pics! That looks like a good fit with your amp, but the additional length of what I am considering is probably going to be questionable. Maybe the 4 channel is the better route here, (I think you tried to tell me that already..) Anyway, thanks again for the pics, it is very appreciated.
Alpine has a 5 channel that is almost exactly the same size

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KIKrmaBci9h/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=500mraf350&search=MRAF350

The amp in the pic is below for size comparison

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZZW0YQ2u1k1/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=100&I=500MRPF450&search=mrp-f450

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
chewey46 said:
My only problem with mounting the amp under the seat is you couldn't hose out the floor of your FJ. Is there room somewhere in the back panel area for an amp to be mounted??? Is there room where the jack is kept or a storage compartment back there, maybe not enough air flow.

Has anyone mounted an amp anywhere besides under the seat???
People have mounted it to the wall below the window in the trunk on the drivers side. You can also have it mounted to the back of the rear seats.

Airflow and space are the problem with putting the amp in any of the rear compartments.

I never plan on hosing out my FJ, you are going to get water in places you didn't want it, last thing I want is stinky mold growing inside my FJ.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ruebarb said:
That 5 channel amp only has 50 watts in what would be the sub channel. The kicker ZX700.5 has 210 watts @ 4 ohms, and can also run @ 2 0hms - giving 420 watts. I like the sound of a clean 10 inch sub that works well in this wattage range. The bridged option of the 4 channel Alpine would still probably be the better choice for running the sub at a decent power level.

On the related issue of space - having only sat in an FJ once, it seems that raising the seat mounts slightly (maybe an inch or so) would provide more amp room and cooling and still not adversely impact the seating situation. It seems you sit a bit low if anything. Anyway, just a possibility.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i tired to put alpine 4 channel amp everywhere with no results. i called my local cabinet shop to make a black painted tray that amp sits in (sorry no pics) and mounted it to left rear pod with the factory tie down bolts for mounting purposes. it makes the amp look flush fit and extremely nice job. i also mounted infinity basslink (ebay for 165.00) on the pass side. that facotry sub is REAL lame and way overpriced. head unit is alpine din tv screen with din size dvd under it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
bleen-bleen said:
i tired to put alpine 4 channel amp everywhere with no results. i called my local cabinet shop to make a black painted tray that amp sits in (sorry no pics) and mounted it to left rear pod with the factory tie down bolts for mounting purposes. it makes the amp look flush fit and extremely nice job.
Pix, please!

Sandi

1 - 19 of 19 Posts