Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get a vote of which Synthetic oil to use. Amsoil or Royal Purpal they all seem like excellent oil. Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Re: Amsoil or Royal Purpal ?

They are both excellent as well as M1. Cant go wrong with any of them.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts

I can see this turnin into another coke or pepsi type thread. as stated above both are great as well as others out there. Personally I run RP in everything but I wish I started with mobil 1 only for the price factor. I'm one of those only use one brand for the life of the engine believers. some peeople switch it up alot, I don't know truthfully if it has any adverse effects but it might. lol

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts

Any of the flavors mentioned will serve you well, no worries.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

From what I'm hearing is Mobil 1 Synthetic in the picture too? Competing with Amsoil and Royal Purpal.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts

REDLINE synthetic:rocker:....
(and they have ATFD6 automatic transmission fluid for the FJCnow, too) :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

I used to use royal purple and now use amsoil and i personally feel the engine runs better after 3000 miles on an oil change with amsoil over royal purple, you can tell when idling when its cold, its a smoother idle but maybe its all in my head.

·
fka fatbrat40
2,488 Posts

Using Amsoil you will see the difference in engine idle and how smooth it runs IMO

·
Registered
214 Posts

I say neither. Have you seen the prices of high grade synthetic oil!? Good Lord!! I'd throw Penz. synthetic in there just to get through the season. It's cheap and it IS synthetic. Not the best, but good enough.

·
Premium Member
13,654 Posts

Most of my expierence has been with Royal Purple so that is what I go with.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

all the 100% synthetic oils will do you right.....I have used Mobil1 and now Amsoil for many many years......but would have no problems also recommending Redline or some of the others. I switched mostly because I thought it was a better oil and also because I could become a Preferred Customer and order it myself and have it within a week at my doorstep...as I hated that it appeared when I wanted the Mobil 1 or Redline nobody had it...and other times they all had it. LOL

Just be sure to combine your synthetic oil with a good filter....as the oil gives you the lubrication and heat protection while the filter helps to remove the contaminants and floating particles that all engines produce.

Good luck....

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts

REDLINE synthetic:rocker:....
(and they have ATFD6 automatic transmission fluid for the FJCnow, too) :bigthumb:
FINALLY!!! Someone has come out with a Toyota Type WS ATF replacement. At $11 per quart, I wonder how it compares to the Type WS at the dealer.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

yeah, not many with WS yet......most still have the Type T and T-IV

If Redline is making it WS compatible then it is good stuff...I used to use their tranny fluid in my motorcycles.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Mobil 1. I use it in everything: cars, pressure washers, you name it, and have done so for years. I've seen tear-downs and the stuff is amazing.

That being said, changing your oil -- regardless of brand -- at the right interval based upon your driving style, environment, etc., is 95% of the battle. That's assuming what you use meets the OEM specified ILSAC specs, of course.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

I asked the Amsoil guy about Mobile 1, Red Line, and Royal Purple. He said the additives in the Red Line is the most competitive to the Amsoil, but the Amsoil is still better. Granted, he has a vested interest in his product, but he ranked Red Line the next highest in that group. I think with normal oil change, you're not likely going to feel a difference. Unless you're a racer or is really really hard on the vehicle, all of these oils will be more then adequate.

I have Mobile 1 in the engine and Amsoil in the diff.

·
Registered
346 Posts

mobil one in my engine amsoil in my diffs (just how it happen) noticing a difference in the idle
but i might switch to all amsoil next idk.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Bumping this thread. Are you synthetic converts lengthening your service interval? The Amsoil site states 1yr or 25000 miles!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts