Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know the debate on which oil brand is the best will probably go on forever. My question is does anyone have any evidence of which oil is the best for the fj? From my own research I've found amsoil signature series to be the best against everything that kills an engine overtime. I'm currently running mobil 1 in all of my vehicles, I know two guys that race and swear by amsoil for almost all of their fluids except diff, but I'm a firm believer in finding what oil is best for each platform. No sense in paying $$$ for amsoil if I'm not getting my money back in the long run.

I'm using Toyota's oem oil filters. Figured they probably spent some big bucks designing it but any additional input on that would be helpful also.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Send your oil sample in for analysis. That's the only real method for determining your vehicle's condition, wear metals and longevity for the oil type used during the change interval.
Do they elaborate on what your results are from the sample? Or do I have to have somone decode it for me. I'll understand some of it, but I'm a mechanic not a chemist. This has me excited

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Do they elaborate on what your results are from the sample?
They elaborate. And if you ask them specific questions when you submit, the interpreter can zone in on whether it's a potential issue. It's just a simple paragraph but you do these analysis periodically and you'll be come an expert (sort of) of your own engine.

Here's an example of mine when trying out cheap Walmart Supertech synthetic changed at 5700 miles

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They elaborate. And if you ask them specific questions when you submit, the interpreter can zone in on whether it's a potential issue. It's just a simple paragraph but you do these analysis periodically and you'll be come an expert (sort of) of your own engine.

Here's an example of mine when trying out cheap Walmart Supertech synthetic changed at 5700 miles
View attachment 1118561
May I ask at what mileage did you send the oil in that they said it could be ran longer?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
May I ask at what mileage did you send the oil in that they said it could be ran longer?
5700 miles on Walmart Supertech full synthetic. On the right side of the chart are two other oil intervals at 10k and 7.5k miles on Castrol Edge full synthetic.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
IMO the best value out there for the 10K change interval for 2010+ is Mobil One Extended Performance, 5-quart jugs for $28 at wally world. But that's just my opinion. Been using Mobil One since the 1980s with great results, never burned any oil to speak of, even in my 3 Isuzu Troopers which can be notorious oil burners due to a faulty ring design.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts