Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working on a rear storage solution for awhile now. I almost pulled the trigger on the Tuffy drawers but they would interfere with the m-pac rack and the side baskets. I also almost pulled the trigger on the Front Runner drawers but I also wanted something that I could pull out fairly quickly if I needed to haul something big.

I also needed something where I still had access to my plugs in the rear and access to the factory jack (I also store some small work lights in there). So after playing around with a few different options this is what i came up with.

I used 3/4 plywood for the shelf, off the shelf adjustable ikea bed legs, floor mats from lowes for the carpet (glued, wrapped, and stapled), cam buckles to secure it to the truck, front runner wolf packs underneath, two L-track rails, various 5.11 pouches, replaced all zipper pulls with blue ridge overland oversized pulls.

Also to fit my Dometic CFX-28 I had to remove the hard handles, the door wouldn't close with the original handles and the mpac rack. I replaced them with some soft handles.

The best part of all, realistically it probably only took me an hour of actual build time once I had everything on hand (planning and deciding what I wanted to do on the other hand took me a few weeks). Removing the shelf and putting in back in is a one person job and only takes a few minutes.

Hope this helps someone that's trying to build their own real storage.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those bed legs with the threaded hooks are a brilliant combo. Any chance you have the part name/number for the IKEA legs? Also those rails? I'd love to build something similar to this for my rig.
the legs are Ikea Sultan Support Legs (PN: 459.320.80). The setup is SUPER easy to build, Lowes even sells 1/4 sheets of plywood for $10-15 which is what I used since I didn't have a use for a full sheet. I have a table saw to cut mines but even if you're short on tool, Lowes will cut the piece of plywood for free. The Ikea legs also came with the screw already that I ended up using. So there really isn't a whole lot to buy to build.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Thanks. Where do you come by the slotted rails? [edit: Behold the power of Google. I didn't know L-track rail was a common thing. Learning!] Ah, but Google is not that much help. Where *did* you get that l-track system?

I'm looking at building a fold-out version of this. Will post a build thread if it goes well...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Where do you come by the slotted rails? [edit: Behold the power of Google. I didn't know L-track rail was a common thing. Learning!] Ah, but Google is not that much help. Where *did* you get that l-track system?

I'm looking at building a fold-out version of this. Will post a build thread if it goes well...
I bought mines from Amazon, they're sold as "S-Tracks" but as far as I can tell, they're the same exact thing as L-Tracks which is what they're more commonly known as. Search "Pit Posse 11004BK 4' Aluminum S Track Anchor Rail Enclosed Cargo Trailer Van Truck System Kit Black" on Amazon and you'll find them for $65 with 4 attachment rings. I had to cut 8'' off the rails (I think the cargo area in the FJ is 40''). You could easily hack saw them but I used a metal band saw. Northern Tools also has L-Tracks (PN: 30170) but they're rails only and end up costing a bit more once you add in the costs of the rings (unless you can find them for cheaper, cheapest I found was $5/ea).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice job. Just 2 questions.
1. I assume the section nearest the seats are also secured with the cam buckles. Correct?
2. Are those tubs underneath on rails to slide out or just resting on the deck?
Thanks for the post, this was my next project..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice job. Just 2 questions.
1. I assume the section nearest the seats are also secured with the cam buckles. Correct?
2. Are those tubs underneath on rails to slide out or just resting on the deck?
Thanks for the post, this was my next project..
That's correct, 4 cam buckets in total, 2 in the front and 2 in the rear.

The bins are front runner wolf packs, they just float, thought about making rails but decided floating was better for me since depending on the trip/occasion, I sometimes remove the bins and but a camp table and chairs underneath instead. I like keeping it as modular as possible.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since this thread is active again, here's a quick update...

I made some slides for the fridge using aluminum angles. The tray is 100% riveted, no bolts or welds required to build it. The slides are also riveted to the frame/tray. It mounts onto the L-Tracks so it's easily removed with only 4 bolts and can be repositioned if required (to the left side, or more to the left/right, etc) or removed completely.

As of now, I'm 100% satisfied with the setup and don't really have any intent to change or modify anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tag,

I was looking for a solution that would be easy and light to make a sleeping platform.
The drawer solution was nice but not so east to remove.
I am thinking with a couple of the Ikea legs that one could fold the seat down for sleeping and remove the filler piece and stow it and have this solution for travel.

How long or short will these legs go?
I was also thinking of removing the back seats and laying in a sleeping platform when on the road.
These might be the solution to provide the support if they reach to the floor in front (right behind the back seats) and go short enough in the back to level it all up.

Pat

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
@MtGoat: I used minhster's idea for the trunk and built two forward panels for a sleeping platform. The middle panel stays in while driving, sitting over the top of the folded-down rear seats with seat bottoms removed on two removable sets of the IKEA legs attached to small plywood bases. The front panel folds forward on hinges with the front seats pushed and tilted all the way forward. In my 2011, this affords 6'2" on the driver side and 6'4" on the passenger side (the seats tilt forward at different angles, oddly). I used ABS pipe to create legs to support the most forward part of the platform. It's a little fiddly, but effective. The attached pics are probably as clear as mud--I can take a few more if you have questions. The black rubber mat was something I had laying around--it has since been removed. Currently working on adding tie-down points to the rear platform and some kind of cleanable cover for the wood.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts