Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pulled into a shopping plaza parking lot in Santa Barbara today, a few cars down from a gorgeous silver FJ completely modded...ARB full roof rack, ARB front bumper, lift, AT tires, sliders, hitch-mounted bike rack, etc., etc.

Walked over to look closer and saw the owner sitting in the passenger seat. I thought, "Here's an FJ owner who will want to talk about his rig!" I recognized most of the gear, but not the sliders (they were not ARB or OEM, but very low profile), and asked what brand they were.

I got a confused look. "The what?" "What kind of rock sliders did you install?" I asked again, and pointed. "Oh those things," he said. "I have no idea. They came with the truck."

Apparently, he bought the rig fully modded. The new owner appeared to have no interest in the gear on his truck...said the previous owner put "all this after-market stuff" on the FJ. He then hurried off.

Whoever owned the rig before clearly knew what they were doing--extensive, but tasteful and useful upgrades.

Maybe it's too strong to say the FJ is in the wrong hands, if he's enjoying the truck...but I don't get the impression that all that gear is going to good use.

This was my second failed attempt to make conversation with another FJ owner in Santa Barbara. (The first attempt, I'll admit, was pretty weak--I was waiting for some look acknowledging a shared interest before jumping in, and it never came.)

A pointless post, I guess...just found the experience interesting.

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Probably the same guy who saw my FJ with loaded with mods, dents and scratches...and asked if I ever took it offroad. :lol:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I grew up in Santa Barbara and I definitely knew people like that.
Completely awesome modded vehicles for offroad or onroad racing but never did anything with them.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
One day he will get brave and overconfident about the truck he doesn't know

...and will total it at Pismo.

my prediction anyway :p

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
. . . but it looks cool. That FJ may have been born for off-roading but it has grown up to be a poser.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to give this guy the benefit of the doubt...

I don't know if he goes off road or not. The conversation didn't get that far. Maybe he's comfortable that the truck can get him where he needs to go and just isn't that interested in the equipment?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Did you mention this place to him? Maybe he would like to know how to use that equipment but doesn't know where to start to ask. Nice, Good thing your not single minded.

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Maybe you should have made him a sweet deal to take off all that crap off his nice FJ and return it to stock.......... :bigthumb:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Pulled into a shopping plaza parking lot in Santa Barbara today, a few cars down from a gorgeous silver FJ completely modded...ARB full roof rack, ARB front bumper, lift, AT tires, sliders, hitch-mounted bike rack, etc., etc.

Walked over to look closer and saw the owner sitting in the passenger seat. I thought, "Here's an FJ owner who will want to talk about his rig!" I recognized most of the gear, but not the sliders (they were not ARB or OEM, but very low profile), and asked what brand they were.

I got a confused look. "The what?" "What kind of rock sliders did you install?" I asked again, and pointed. "Oh those things," he said. "I have no idea. They came with the truck."

Apparently, he bought the rig fully modded. The new owner appeared to have no interest in the gear on his truck...said the previous owner put "all this after-market stuff" on the FJ. He then hurried off.

Whoever owned the rig before clearly knew what they were doing--extensive, but tasteful and useful upgrades.

Maybe it's too strong to say the FJ is in the wrong hands, if he's enjoying the truck...but I don't get the impression that all that gear is going to good use.

This was my second failed attempt to make conversation with another FJ owner in Santa Barbara. (The first attempt, I'll admit, was pretty weak--I was waiting for some look acknowledging a shared interest before jumping in, and it never came.)

A pointless post, I guess...just found the experience interesting.
Not in the wrong hands because he wasnt using it (supposedly) but DEFINITELY in the wrong hands because he didnt even know what his mods were!!!!!! That just blows my mind. I could see someone modding their rig because theyre an enthusiast, or they like the look, but even then, they would have done enough research to know what they were getting.

I should find him and ask if he wants to trade his ARB front bumper for my OEM one :rofl:

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
You need some forum cards to pass out. Maybe this dude would get into off-roading if properly introduced. :thinkerg:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Whether he uses his rig off road or not is really not all that important. If he keeps it in good shape is what matters. All the bone stock and modded FJs my wife sees that seem not to be taken off road are what she calls" future donors".

We are looking for a "future donor" FJZ80 :)

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I grew up in Santa Barbara and I definitely knew people like that.
Completely awesome modded vehicles for offroad or onroad racing but never did anything with them.
I spent a few years and many summers in Goleta/SB myself. Absolutely love it there. Yup, they def more than their share of mall crawler and posers. But thats what you get when people have more dollars than sense. :rofl:

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I usally get.... 'How can you take a newer vehicle in the woods and mud and scatch it to hell like that'....

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
But thats what you get when people have more dollars than sense. :rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's Santa Barbara for you...
I was born there. Lived there til I went to college in Long Beach. Now live outside of Seattle.
SB is a beautiful place. Loved living there. Still have a house up on the Riviera. Go down every couple months to visit friends and family.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts