Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my FJ was modified for sand and I moved to a place that does rock & snow. I am looking to do a higher lift, and put bigger tires. The FJ I wanna end up with should have
  • 3.5” lift
  • 35’s or 37’s
  • 4.88 regearing
  • Rear bumper that can take a beating (I already have a metal front bumper)
  • Front Elockers
  • Axles & differentials that can accommodate for the modifications
Driving style:
  • Rock crawling on easy to medium level terrains. Not going extreme
  • Avoiding body damage as possible, but ok to challenge the engine, the tires, the suspensions, etc.
  • Home is in the mountains, so my daily drive doesn’t have high speeds, but we do a lot of going up and down
So, to achieve this what should I do or buy:
  1. 4.88 regearing package for 35’s (or 37’s). What is the best kit for doing it? Are Nitro gear packages the only ones out there or are there others that are good quality but a little bit more economic
  2. Should I do a custom rear metal bumper, or is there is recommended brand
  3. Should I upgrade my axles to heavy duty ones, and if so, is upgrading the front axles enough? What is a good economical brand of heavy duty axles?
  4. Anything I need to do about my differentials to accommodate for the modifications or the stock differentials will do?
  5. Eaton front Elockers anyone? (I don’t want to do the ARB airlockers; unless someone really feels strongly about them, let me know)
Any help with my questions would be very much appreciated.

For a fuller picture my car current setup
  • 2.5 inch lift kit + body lift
  • Front steel bumper
  • Skid plates covering the whole bottom, and rock guards
  • 285/70/r17 BFG KO2
  • Radflo stage 4+ suspensions front and back with total chaos UCAs
  • Tundra throttle body
  • Headers with Ypipes, cat back with valve tonic resonator, and air raid air intake with a snorkel

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,556 Posts
I’m not sure I understand - you already have the Radflo stage 4 kit installed? If so it’s a 3” lift, with 2.5” shocks, good stuff 👍 As for the Harrop eLocker I’ve had one up front for 2 years and LOVE it...no way would I do air! Too many hose failures, and hate the complexity plus the delay. ELocker is instant on/off.
What year is your FJ? Makes a difference as to size of your rear diff (8.0” vs 8.2”) and what’s the best gear ratio to go to. 4.88 inside an 8.0” could be troublesome. I know it’s loooong distance but I’m sure East Coast Gear Supply tech assistance would be glad to speak with you!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I second ECGS for gears and lockers. I haven’t used em personally, but their concept of mail it your old stuff for a core charge and install the new stuff we send you is pretty cool, and they have ALL the options it seems. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Some good information here:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I recently went to mardi krawl 2020. Lots of wet clay and rocks. And had an amazing time on the rocks. Did way more than I would have solo, pushed myself and the fj. My current setup is 2010 fj Toytech 3in boss lift 285s road armor front bumper with winch, pedal commander turned to the lowest setting. No skids past stock placement. Rock sliders. Front sway bar delete. Didn't have any issues. Bottomed out a few times, Didn't winch once. If you wana go it will go. My next mods will be full armor under and aux fuel tank. Probably a snorkel. Eventually 35s and a regear. Check out my insta for some pic and a few videos. Unfortunately there were no videos of the harder stuff we were doing except from my dash cam. Rickywilson302
I'm pretty new to rocks also.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Some good information here:

lol, same guy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts