Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's yet another BMC thread. Tons of threads are posted on this, but every one does it slightly differently. I'm also tired of finding old threads with photo links that don't work anymore.

Dave Ojeda of Trailworx Fabrication did such a wonderful job, I had to show off his great work.

I arrived around 9:05 am Sunday to see a sexy black thang (La Niña de la Esquina) in the driveway.

For those new to the FJ and forum, the body mount and the mudflap that covers it protrude into the front wheel well. This increases the chance of tire rub when turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock when going to bigger sized tires or aggressive offsets. These wheels are 17x9 with a 4.75 (I calculated them to be 4.76 actually) backspacing and tires (265-70-17) are OEM.

A dime placed sideways would not fit in that gap.

In this photo, you can see the mud flap protrusion just to the right of the brake caliper.

A Sawzall was used to make a transverse cut across the body mount "dome."

This is how clean the cut was made.

Next, a cut-off saw was used to cleanly remove the remaining metal attachments, and any sharp burrs were smoothed with a sanding wheel.

Next a piece of metal was attached to the open edges of the body mount...

and mig welded in.

The flat metal was then sculpted to curve around the cut.

You can see the extra metal that covers the remaining body mount to the right.

A cut-off saw was used to remove this extra metal to form a clean abutment between OEM and added metal.

The welded-in piece was sanded smooth for an OEM look.

Primer was then applied.
[/IMG]

Freshly painted with black enamel.

This is what the removed pieces of metal look like. Why Toyota engineered these to be so long (and protrude) is beyond me.

This is what my Orange Crush would look like as a hovercraft.

Look at the clearance now! Woohoo!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In the meanwhile, I noticed Dave had been making some custom sliders for his FJ.

On the way home, I stopped by Loma Linda La Sierra University (my Alma Mater as an undergrad), and got some veggie carnitas and freshly carrot juice! Bottled carrot juice is pasteurized, and tastes nowhere near as good as this does.

It matches! And so do these:

Attachments

·
A-Team Moderator
8,198 Posts
Carrot Juice is a much more appropriate name than Orange Crush. :rofl: JK!

The BMC looks great!!! :cheers: Send him my way next. One of only two 4x4 shops here has closed.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carrot Juice is a much more appropriate name than Orange Crush. :rofl: JK!

The BMC looks great!!! :cheers: Send him my way next. One of only two 4x4 shops here has closed.
Silly Wabbit.

He's located in Riverside. I drove out to his place this morning. He also has experience in cabinetry, and is a true artisan. Took him about 1.5-2 hours, and he wasn't even rushing as I was talking to him much of the time. Great guy!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Carrot Juice

Did he charge extra for the talking and assistance? :rolleyes:

Now you have to have him make you the "box" with drawers.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/151265-rear-cargo-drawer-build.html
I know, right? Actually, I can probably do that box myself. I've had a fair amount of experience with carpentry, and my paternal GF was a carpenter as well.

Awesome. I'm going to have to book some time with Dave for BMC pretty soon.
We all should just have a BMC meet. Too bad Demello is closed on weekends. They're not too far from there.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great looking fix!

BTW - I believe the part you cut off is to deflect the tires under the FJ (instead of into you) in the even of a collision. I don't think taking them off will impact anything whatsoever. It is overkill.
That's very insightful. There's a book entitled Vehicle Crash Mechanics by Matthew Huang that goes into considerable detail about vehicle impact modes and crash data.

Here's an interesting aside: The direct distance between the posterior body mount to my sliders (attached to frame) is about 3". I imagine this too would afford some protection from forward or diagonal impacts traveling from the side or opposite direction.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Nice looking job on the BMC. I had mine done by Slee Off Road a little over a week ago and am very happy with their work as well.

·
Premium Member
16,369 Posts
Nice work on the BMC! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Awesome!!! copied and emailed to myself so I can show the off-road wannabe shops around here how to do it !!! Either that or just go buy a mig welder :rofl:

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
We need this kind of craftsmanship here in the east cost.
Slee's quality of work is without question. You pay a bit more for it but in my mind it is a good investment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I'm just south of you in Monument-how much was the BMC you had done at Slee? I assume you did both sides or did you just do the driver's side?

Thanks,
Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts