Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to put a remote start in my truck and control it with my phone. these are the compatible models. which would you recommend and where should i buy it (local shop, best buy, dealer, etc). thanks for you help and recommendations.

# Viper:
# 5902, 5901, 5701, 5601, 5501, 5301, 5101
# Clifford:
# 1.2, 1.3x, 20.7x, 2.2, 3.3x, 50.7x, 590.2x
# Python:
# 1401, 580, 1601, 872, 991, 592
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
I have the 5901 and it works great. I also installed a scytek mp speaker instead of the siren. I can program sounds instead of having the chirps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
I've often wondered about this - what is the point of a remote starter for your vehicle? It seems like it could potentially cause a real problem if accidentally activated....what is the typical range for a remote starter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
I've often wondered about this - what is the point of a remote starter for your vehicle? It seems like it could potentially cause a real problem if accidentally activated....what is the typical range for a remote starter?
It depends on the system. Compustar systems have a 1 mile range (straight line distance of course). Also even if you do accidentally activate it, they usually shut of within 15 minutes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
mine will shut off if not driving in 20 minutes. The alarm is still armed until I hit the disarm button. If someone broke into it whill running, it will shut off as soon as they hit the brake pedal to putit in gear. It has to have the key inserted and be disarmed. I didn't care about remote start and got it as a freed upgrade but it is cool when there is ice on the windshield and it's freezing cold. Plus, in the summertime I can set it to start when the gets to a certain temp. This is good when I have my drum kit in there and we can't load in for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
Compustar is whats on mine and can use drone mobile but im not spending and extra $350 just to start it with my phone.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the responses, i'm a HUGE gadget guy. stuff like this sucks me in. that being said. it gets cold here in the winter and it would be nice to stat my truck to let it warm up and at work i park to far for a normal r/s to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
So last night it snowed about 5 inches. I left my car last night with the heater controls at full blast. This morning while I was having breakfast I started my car from my kitchen. 20 minutes later I headed out, the snow had melted from the front window, I cleared the side and rear windows and stepped into a warm car. That is what I use my remote starter for.

BTW I have an avital 4113L system. Cost me $250 +/- installed. The module that loads on your phone and allows you to start it from anywhwere was another $300 so I skipped that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
I have an AstroStart (made by Directed Electronics, same company that makes Viper, Python, Clifford, etc) with SmartStart and I love it. I can't remember the exact model, but the remote is only a one-way, with lock/unlock/start/trunk. The trunk button can be reprogrammed to another function, such as rolling the windows up/down, but that requires a separate module.

I like being able to start my vehicle from anywhere, especially during these cold months (I'm in northern MN and it's -32F right now). I find that I use the remote about 75% of the time, and my phone the other 25%. I'm using an iPhone, but I'm pretty sure it's exactly like the Android version. I've had it fail to start a couple of times (it displays an error message letting you know it didn't start), but for the most part it works great.

The SmartStart service is $50/year or you can sign up for 3 years for $99. They include a Roadside Assistance program with it. If you have multiple vehicles with SmartStart you can set them all up in the app so you can switch between them.

I haven't used Drone Mobile, but I did some research... I believe they charge $35/year for their basic service and $100/year for their complete package, which offers some cool stuff not available with the SmartStart (GPS tracking, setting up boundaries, etc).
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top