Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

921 - 940 of 970 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just wanted to log in and say thanks to everyone on the thread for all the information! It made the job much easier and I didn't have to contact Atoto at all.

I got the A6 Toyota specific model A6Y2721P. I also ordered the Metra 70-8114 steering wheel control harness.

The harness that came with the A6 only has two plugs where the factory unit uses 3. I did plug those in leaving the third hanging. That third one is the steering wheel controls and was not necessary to get the unit working. At this point I didn't use the Metra harness.

I used the factory mounting brackets and they snapped right into place but they had the unit too far forward for the dash trim to fit back on. I screwed it in using the top two holes that are forward of the factory position and that got the dash back on but with the screen a LITTLE tilted. I was pressed for time and said I'd come back to it later.

Today was later. I finished up the job properly:

Cut the black connector off the Metra harness and spliced in SWC ground and the two SWC+ wires. Cut off the RCA cables and aux. Then I moved the subwoofer pin exactly the same as wooward's pic above. You need something small and thin to release the clip holding the pin in, like a paperclip, tweezers, etc. There is a vid here, he's even moving the exact pin that you need to, maybe others have had this issue. ;)

The last task was getting the bracket mounted. I drilled an extra hole JUST below the existing lower front hole on the factory bracket. Small pilot hole, then 1/4" bit. When all drilled out the holes even overlap a bit. This keeps the bracket parallel to the screen and gives a good fit to put the dash back on.

All done now. The sub works, the radio works, steering wheel controls work (after programming them, RTFM) and the dash fits. The only oddity I've now noticed is that if you start playing bluetooth music and turn the lights on it advances the song. I assume this has something to do with dimming the screen when you turn the lights on, which also works BTW. :D

I'm pretty pleased with the overall experience. It allows you to use google maps with traffic assuming you do the hotspot thing with your phone. Spotify app works this way as well, although I don't bother with that. I just BT stream. I do still need to figure out offline maps for google just in case.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Update to my last post since I found and corrected my one small issue. It turned out that not only did turning the headlights on advance music tracks, it also disabled the steering wheel controls. This was not going to fly so I opened the dash again and did some troubleshooting. As it turns out the fix was as simple as swapping the wires from the Atoto factory harness labeled SWC+. There are two cables labeled the same with no explanation of which goes to which and I obviously guessed wrong.

Anyway, with the dash off I figured I'd take pics just in case someone else wants to do the same as me. I also took a pic of the factory brackets so you can get them located like mine if you want to go this route.

Again, thanks to all for all the great info. This was a fun and RELATIVELY easy DIY project.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
do these work with xm by chance?
I haven't seen one that does yet. You'd have to use the normal SiriusXM car kit and use line-in or radio. Personally I use the App and stream it. That does have some benefits, like being able to see what's playing on other channels for example.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I haven't seen one that does yet. You'd have to use the normal SiriusXM car kit and use line-in or radio. Personally I use the App and stream it. That does have some benefits, like being able to see what's playing on other channels for example.
that makes sense...
i guess i will stick with the regular radio for now. i dont have unlimited data.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Spotify allows playlist downloads for listening off network, good for a few weeks before they require another authorization download.
I load all the playlists at once while on free WiFi, then play off network with no data usage.

Works for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a crazy issue where one side of the headlight comes on intermittently. I have switched everything from one side to another, checking ground, and still cant get it solved. I know it comes with the warranty, but this is annoying. Anyone has this sort of issue?
Maybe I'm just thick, but I'm confused.. one side of the headlight? I want to help, but the mind boggles..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Update to my last post since I found and corrected my one small issue. It turned out that not only did turning the headlights on advance music tracks, it also disabled the steering wheel controls. This was not going to fly so I opened the dash again and did some troubleshooting. As it turns out the fix was as simple as swapping the wires from the Atoto factory harness labeled SWC+. There are two cables labeled the same with no explanation of which goes to which and I obviously guessed wrong.

Anyway, with the dash off I figured I'd take pics just in case someone else wants to do the same as me. I also took a pic of the factory brackets so you can get them located like mine if you want to go this route.

Again, thanks to all for all the great info. This was a fun and RELATIVELY easy DIY project.
I'm glad you have a fix for this. I'll swap mine this weekend. I have been using work arounds to get past this. I had to unassign the mode switch, and i only assigned seek up and down and volume up and down. It would be hit or miss weather it worked or not. turning on the headlight changed it, and for some reason mode button sometime fixed it. A reboot always fixed it. When i first installed it, it was like the mode button was stuck, it kept switching modes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I swapped my steering wheel controls on my Atoto head unit, and I had it right the first time. So the correct way is:

Atoto side black(SWC-GND) goes to Toyota white/red stripe(keypad ground). Pin 6

Atoto side brown wire(Steering wheel #(+) goes to Toyota purple/white stripe(volume side). Pin 7

Atoto side orange/black stripe(Steering wheel key (+) goes to Toyota yellow/white strip(phone side of the pad). Pin 8

Even though it's on correctly it losses functionality sometimes.

When I had it incorrectly it would seek forward everytime you turn the lights off and on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Drove to work today with my lights on and my ATOTO steering wheel controls did not work. Rebooting will only fix certian items. I just did some testing with mapping the steering wheel controls. With the lights on you can not map some buttons like pick up phone and hang up phone. They would do nothing. With the lights off I can map all and they seem to work with or without the FJ running.

I'm going to cut the illumination wire off the Radio and just adjust my briteness manually.

My thought is 1. with the lights on the voltage changes the keypad voltage enough that the radio thinks it's another button(blame the vehicle).

or 2. the radio receives voltage on the illumination wire and it believes the button voltages are diffrent(blame the radio).

I'll figure it today, cause if the illumination wire is not hooked up and it still does it, it's the vehicle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cutting the illumination wire to the ATOTO made no diffrence. Another symptom i noticed is. With the head lights on, if you turn down the dimmer it effects my buttons. Also pressing either the mode, pickup phone or hang up phone my dash lights go to the brightest setting. The next plan is to remove all ATOTO harness and wireing to figure out if the radio is causing this to cross over.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I figured it out. The factory radio buttons used the dimmer switch. I don't think the ATOTO radio needs to use the dimmer, it uses the headlight illumination to dim the screen.

ATOTO wired Illumination(-) to Steering wheel key (+) and switch 1 which is (+) on their adapter.

The Toyota E42 connector is a 6pin connector with 5 pins used. 1Red, 2Black, 3White, 5Brown/W, 6Yellow

Cut this on the ATOTO harness(don't cut the Brown/w wire)
On the small adapter to your factory harness, you simply need to cut and insulate the orange wire going to E42 pin 5 which is Brown/w on the factory side. The wire has a splice in it going to the other wires labeled Steering wheel key (+) orange/black.

Just thought of something. My FJ doesn't use the rear speakers except for those exciters or whatever in the headliner. I could just leave that plug off. The other 4 pins on E42 go to rear speakers which i don't have.

I'll try and make a wiring diagram when I get some time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What i have so far. For the ATOTO guys. E43 is not connected.

wiring_sized.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Been following this thread for a while and finally bought an ATOTO unit with the Toyota harness.
Before I dive in and start installation, what do you recommend as far as:
1- Placing the microphone
2- Placing the wifi antenna
3- Placing the GPS antenna

FYI, my FJC does not have a center pod, or steering wheel controls (basic model)

I also bought one of the USB ports which go in place of one of the switch blanks. Any recommendation where to get power to it. It looks like this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B010T3CR8A/?coliid=I1TDYW1AYQMEAW

Thanks all

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

Any recommendation where to get power to it. It looks like this one:
1. On the steering wheel column
2. Don't have a separate antenna for this. I assume would fit behind A pillar cover. Pull the grab handle by popping the covers and unscrew the (2) 10mm bolts. The interior a pillar cover is freed by pulling toward the rear view mirror.
3. GPS antenna fits behind a pillar cover

Tap the power from the lower fuse panel right above your hood latch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Been following this thread for a while and finally bought an ATOTO unit with the Toyota harness.

FYI, my FJC does not have a center pod, or steering wheel controls (basic model)

I also bought one of the USB ports which go in place of one of the switch blanks. Any recommendation where to get power to it. It looks like this one:

Thanks all
1. Haven't figured that out yet

2. It does fit in the driver's A piller

3. Tight fit in the gauge cluster on top of the dash.(edit, didn't know FJ's came with out it)

4. Add-a-fuse is what i think it's called. It plugs in your fuse box.

If you have the basic setup radio, your next step is to probably get rid of the crappyiest factory radio speakers.

I went with the inifinity speakers in the dash and the doors and it made a huge diffrence. I had to set it up where the front channel went to the dash, and the rear channel went to the doors. Factory wiring has those 2 coming off the front channel only. It was too much for the atoto on the front channel.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Thanks all
1 - I didn't use it.
2 - Inside the clinometer / Compass housing
3 - Inside the clinometer / Compass housing

Edit: Just noticed you don't have the clinometer option... maybe you could add it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 - I didn't use it.
2 - Inside the clinometer / Compass housing
3 - Inside the clinometer / Compass housing

Edit: Just noticed you don't have the clinometer option... maybe you could add it?
Do you not use the mic? My wife tells me it's terrible with out it.

921 - 940 of 970 Posts