Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

941 - 960 of 970 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do you not use the mic? My wife tells me it's terrible with out it.
I don't answer calls when I'm driving any more; did that for too many years in my career (tech support). If someone really needs to talk to me, they'll leave a VM and I'll call back when I'm stopped.

For that matter, I don't even have the phone connected to the radio. There isn't anything on my phone I can't stream directly on the radio.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I just finished installing the ATOTO unit. Went pretty smooth. Here's a photo file of what I did:
1- For the microphone, I installed in on the Driver A-pillar at the top. I ran the wire down the pillar, across the steering column then to the unit

2- Installed both the GPS antenna and WiFi antenna on top of the dash. I wanted to install the wifi antenna on the windshield behind the rear-view mirror but the cable is too short. The wires were routed behind the Driver A-pillar, down behind the glove box then to the unit. While doing this, the wifi antenna just came apart (poorly glued together), so I re-glued it using some silicone RTV.

3- I tried to find a convenient place for the 2 USB cables, but didn't want to have cables dangling around. So, I routed them to inside the glove box.

4- For the USB charging port that installs in place of one of the dummy switches, I spliced into the wires of the cigarette lighter, soldered and heat-shrink. I found the cigarette lighter to be a good place to tap into since it is close by and it is only switched with the key (not hot all the time). I didn't want to run a wire all the way to the fuse box since the USB port is already fused, so no point double fusing, besides the wires are short and will need splicing to get to there.

All in all, I am quite pleased with this unit. Thanks to all who recommended it. I hope it works for many years with no trouble.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The Autopumkin almost made it 4 years. Started looping on startups, sometimes making through. Wiped it down to factory, still looping, removed cards, still looping, checked/cleaned all connections, grounds and fuses-still looping.
Called it done.

Picked up the Joying 8" removable screen with 4gb/32gb android 8.1 (original was 4.4). Plug was pin for pin the same so I just swaped the ISO plug, antenna, gps antenna and AUX in and all is well.

Much better view angle, larger screen, quick starts, more responsive, and cost less than the 4.4 unit.

Very descent upgrade, see if I get 4 more years.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
The Autopumkin almost made it 4 years. Started looping on startups, sometimes making through. Wiped it down to factory, still looping, removed cards, still looping, checked/cleaned all connections, grounds and fuses-still looping.

Called it done.

Picked up the Joying 8" removable screen with 4gb/32gb android 8.1 (original was 4.4). Plug was pin for pin the same so I just swaped the ISO plug, antenna, gps antenna and AUX in and all is well.

Much better view angle, larger screen, quick starts, more responsive, and cost less than the 4.4 unit.

My joying unit is still working after 3+ years.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am waiting mine to die so I can upgrade to the 8.1 (now have 4.4.4 rooted) about 4 years old now.

Everything works, but after getting one for the 2015 Forester with oero, the light will auto dim when you turn on the headlights. That's the feature that I want in my FJ.

That 4.4.4 display is dim, so even at max brightness, it's still fine at night... I guess that's my only complain.

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
How is the radio signal/sound quality? The Autopumpkin unit didn't pick up HD radio signals and the standard FM radio audio was horrible.

-B

Called it done.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The radio reception is much improved. I am in between San Diego and LA stations and am able to keep much cleaner reception.
No HD reception.
Hands free phone mike is much better.
View angle and brightness much better.
Audio is also improved.
Spurious emissions jamming the alarm transmission is also fixed.

No CD or DVD which I never used.

4GB/32GB is a great increase with the larger/brighter screen makes GAIA more usable.
WiFi reception is still poor being burried in the dash.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just a side note on radio reception:

I'm unsure of the FJ's antenna but I know I had a Scion that I replaced the head unit and thought I got a defective unit. The reception for the radio was horrible. I did a little research and found that the Scion ( Toyota product also ) had a power booster for the antenna. You had to power the antenna off a hot lead off the new unit to get it to power up the booster. I believe I used the power antenna lead or something that wasnt being used, it's a while ago. The "plug and play" adapter harness did not have the provision for it.

Just food for thought. Again, I'm not sure if the FJ's run an antenna booster but it may help someone in another situation in the future with some other Toyota products.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Any photos of it installed?

-B

The radio reception is much improved. I am in between San Diego and LA stations and am able to keep much cleaner reception.
No HD reception.
Hands free phone mike is much better.
View angle and brightness much better.
Audio is also improved.
Spurious emissions jamming the alarm transmission is also fixed.

No CD or DVD which I never used.

4GB/32GB is a great increase with the larger/brighter screen makes GAIA more usable.
WiFi reception is still poor being burried in the dash.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If I spent some time with the brackets the bottom of the screen could recess into the opening like others have done.
This is the 8" screen, 10" would cover AC vents.
I just purchased a joying unit https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-latest-android-8-1-0-toyota-rav4-hilux-land-cruiser-car-navigation-system-with-dsp.html

Are you using a different launcher then the stock Joying UI? I ask because what I see when I bench tested my unit (haven't installed it) is that all the app icons have these "rings" around them that the Joying UI puts around the apps. I really want to clean up the UI since the display looks wonderful.

Would like to learn about your install and any speaker upgrades you did.

Thanks -

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I just purchased a joying unit https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-latest-android-8-1-0-toyota-rav4-hilux-land-cruiser-car-navigation-system-with-dsp.html

Are you using a different launcher then the stock Joying UI? I ask because what I see when I bench tested my unit (haven't installed it) is that all the app icons have these "rings" around them that the Joying UI puts around the apps. I really want to clean up the UI since the display looks wonderful.

Would like to learn about your install and any speaker upgrades you did.

Thanks -
That is the same unit I installed less the 4g module which I doubt I will ever use.
Nova Launcher-Prime for simplifying the bloated chinese UI, hiding the top status bar and controlling icon size and spacing.
I also use PipTec green as a theme with green icons , old school text menus, and a live wallpaper that makes a green CRT sweeping scan line appearance "PipBoy" style.
Door speakers are Infinity reference 6x9 I forget the ohms, matched to Infinity Reference 3032cf 3.5" dash speakers.
I don't consider the FJ an optimal sound space, but with minimum effort this combo is very satisfying to my ears. The equalizer app is even better than the AutoPumkin, and much less distortion at higher power levels.

Biggest gripe is bluetooth pairing is occasionally lost, comes back with a power cycle.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
What's the latest and greatest head unit recommendation for a 2012 with the subwoofer and JBL speakers?
Depends on the features you want which vary from person to person , the best brands are Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood in that order checkout there websites

·
Registered
31 Posts
Depends on the features you want which vary from person to person , the best brands are Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood in that order checkout there websites
In my Tacoma, I had an Alpine ILX207 that supported Android Auto and Apple Car play. It is a great unit and "just worked" with Android Auto. The only element that annoyed me with it is the low resolution of the screen 800X480. In the vehicle it seemed washed out and for a $550 device where the screen is the main interface it was a bit of a let down.

I recently went with a Joying pure Android head unit and it has pro's and con's too. Higher resolution screen so when it runs apps natively it looks impressive -- when it launches Android Auto, no so much. It is using Android Auto through my phone via Zlink which is another app. It seems to "magnify" the elements, making them super easy to read plus the screen is "larger".

The Joying is using a DSP and seems like a step up in quality but still not on par with the big 3 that ZosoIV identified. I am waiting to see if the new Sony XAV-7000 gets good reviews or if they make it available --- couldn't wait so went Joying for now which was plug and play using the Toyota harness they provide plus at $300 it fit my budget and is familiar to me as an Android user.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
The Joying is using a DSP and seems like a step up in quality but still not on par with the big 3 that ZosoIV identified. I am waiting to see if the new Sony XAV-7000 gets good reviews or if they make it available --- couldn't wait so went Joying for now which was plug and play using the Toyota harness they provide plus at $300 it fit my budget and is familiar to me as an Android user.
Yeah I’m not real sure on the quality of that joying unit , in the past they haven’t held up long for some people so hopefully it does , yeah Sony has gotten in the ball game and there higher end units are very good I wouldn’t be afraid of buying one , agreed on the Alpine the resolution should be better but Alpine puts its marbles into SQ which can’t be beat

941 - 960 of 970 Posts