Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

961 - 970 of 970 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I agree that the Joying units have quality issues as well as interface problems that the big three work out for users.

However carplay and android auto are severely limited in application. Joying units have no such limitations, very customizable, totally open.

With the feature set growing so quickly, for my personal use I don't see the value in paying significantly more for a unit that would last 5 years longer.

Better sound quality would be the greatest reason, an aging touch interface head unit that lasts 10 years+ not so much. Imagine using the phone you had 8 years ago (circa iPhone 4)...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pre ordering I was asked year make and model. The ensured me they would send a compatible harness. The harness I was sent was not the universal Toyota harness. The order and process was DIRECT from JOYING.
Did you ever solve the issue? I had a similar experience. The receiving pins on my car are small and only the steering plug seems to work. I ordered the unit specifying year, model, trim, everything but I think I received the wrong harness. I went on the website to find out if there was an harness I could buy but the two options seem to have the same large flat pins. I am very green on H/U wiring and I only got into this because I thought it would be a plug and play, which is not. Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you ever solve the issue? I had a similar experience. The receiving pins on my car are small and only the steering plug seems to work. I ordered the unit specifying year, model, trim, everything but I think I received the wrong harness. I went on the website to find out if there was an harness I could buy but the two options seem to have the same large flat pins. I am very green on H/U wiring and I only got into this because I thought it would be a plug and play, which is not. Thank you for any help! View attachment 1118981
View attachment 1118978 View attachment 1118979
PS: the above issue solved as Joying had forgotten to ship the correct harness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone installed the Joying FJ Cruiser JY-TO168N3N? How is it working out? I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser. I'm looking for a unit with HD Radio, but I can't seem to find any of the Chinese units with it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,424 Posts
Has anyone installed the Joying FJ Cruiser JY-TO168N3N? How is it working out? I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser. I'm looking for a unit with HD Radio, but I can't seem to find any of the Chinese units with it. Thanks!
I had one, lasted about 3 years then quit working. It did well while it lasted. But takes time to start up

Sent from my etch-a-sketch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a Joying unit which is about a year old. It is the 4G version of this one https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-8-inch-android-8-1-0-toyota-universal-car-media-palyer-with-built-in-dsp-and-4g-module.html

My review of this unit is that it is good for what you get, but it has its quirks. In terms of 4G it only works on certain bands so near "cities" I get 4G out of the unit with a Google FI SIM, however, in any coverage outside of Milwaukee (I am in Madison, WI) I have to switch over and use my phone as a hotspot.

I use WAZE and the Sirius XM app most often and torque pro with a bluetooth dongle. My main frustration is that apps lock up as connectivity changes. So I probably reboot the unit about 4 times per week due to either WAZE or Sirius XM locking up especially when WAZE kicks in to "warn me" about some event ahead. What I do like is that the high resolution of the display. Joying does provide updates but the updates aren't well explained or the changes that the update solve.

The DSP option is nice and the quality of sound is good, especially with updated speakers in the door and tweeters in the dash. My only wish is that it worked without rebooting since it is annoying to have navigation lock up or the audio on XM radio quit.

Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello all,
I recently installed an Android head unit. It is a Dasaita HA2135-V600. It was a very simple plug and play installation for my 2014 FJ and took me about an hour and a half to get it up and running. (I have the basic sound system.) It fits the dash almost perfectly. It did want to press on the bottom of the opening in the center dash piece so I loosened the mounting screws and pressed up and then tightened them. The center dash piece then mounted properly.

Proper harnesses were included with this unit and I didn't have to splice a wire. :) I mounted the GPS antenna inside of the dash top instrument cluster and routed the wire down through the opening to the back of the unit in the dash. I did have to trim a notch in the white plastic piece for the cable. All worked as expected with the head unit as supplied. The unit itself seemed well made especially for the price paid.

I had also purchased the ELM327 micro OBD2 bluetooth scanner and I couldn't get it to connect to the head unit. The ELM327 was supplied with an installation CD, but reviewing the instructions showed that an email address and an internet connection were required to install the "driver". I have spent a fair amount of time on the XDA developer forum and I understood that no driver is required to install this as long as the name of the ELM327 begins with OBD. I also didn't want to supply an email address to unknown persons. I then installed the Malaysk ROM that I found on XDA developers forum. The ELM327 installed properly with the new ROM. The Malaysk ROM is also rooted and includes some other nice software packages for these units.

I am very impressed with this unit. The audio is much more powerful than the factory head unit. The Malaysk ROM and its audio packages really does make an improvement. I am very impressed so far.

I also have the components on hand to perform the FJ Florida "2011 Audio Mod" and I can't wait to get started on that installation.

After that I am going to get a 4g adapter to get an internet connection for Waze and Google Maps, etc. I can connect with my phone but it is a hassle and just something else for me to remember when I get in the car.

I bought it from the official Dasaita store on Aliexpress. Wait for a sale, they come along every couple of weeks or so. I got it to my house in 6 days.

I hope this helps others on choosing an Android head unit. :cheers:
-Jim

Does this head unit have android auto or do you have to buy the adaptor for it?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #969
Thadeous - Android Auto is software so it is an app that you download from the Google Play Store. Then your android stereo should link to your phone by bluetooth.

Go here - Android Auto

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
961 - 970 of 970 Posts