Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the wattage limit is for the Angel Eyes CCFL headlight housing is? I have a 35W DC set up in right now and just ordered a 55W AC kit because the 35W isn't bright enough for what I was expecting. I ordered a kit and was told that I should stick with the 35W because the 55W would run too hot and melt the housing.

Went on the chat support at CarID and all they could tell me was that their kit was 35W as well so they couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't melt with the 55W.

Seems odd to me that a projector housing would melt this easily, especially considering there are 70W kits out there as well.

·
Registered
273 Posts
More electricity, more heat. It has been know for a 55w HID to melt the housing of projectors, but it just depends. Metal housings(normally) will not melt. The paint or chrome paint on shrouds might have a chance of melting off. Without knowing the quality of the projectors it may or may not melt. It's more of just a trail and error.

35w not bright enough? Those are 35w HID w/ballast or 35w halogen bulb?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly I'm getting to the point where I hope they do melt the housing away just so I can be done with this fiasco. The only reason I went with the Angel Eyes is because I thought the black housing would look good with my fully blacked out front end.
First issue that I encountered was the jackwagon that I bought the lights from on ebay sent the wrong bulbs. Apparently his "professional" installer packaged H4s with the housings rather than the H9s that it requires.
Once I finally figured out which bulbs it actually required I decided to purchase a new full kit since I didn't have any confindence in what the ballast actually was that I got from ebay.
Purchased a 35W DC 6000K HID kit and installed it. Everything seemed fine. They fired up first try, but when I followed my wife home from work at the bar that night she said that it looked like I had separate controllers on each bulb. She said they were flickering and flashing different colors indepenently. Checked all the connections and everything was tight and secure. Did also notice that the brightness really sucked. About 1/3 the brightness of my stock halogens, not the 3x brighter as they are supposed to be.
The kit was supposed to have a 60 day return policy and 2 year warranty, but the seller would only send me a new kit rather than giving a refund. So now I have 2 useless kits.
So I did some reading and came to find out that apparently the DC kits are notorious for having the flickering/color change issues.
Decided to go with a 55W AC set to get rid of these issues and hopefully get the brightness that I was expecting, especially since there is no bi-xenon option in the H9 size so low beam is all there is. Now I come to find out that the projector housing may turn into a molten puddle of plastic with the 55W set.
I'm ready to take a $400 lesson learned and just go back to the stock set and be done with it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sucks to hear that. I'm sure if you put those kits on for sale, someone will take them. I personally put faith into the DDM Tuning HID kits. I had a $300+ Oracle HID kit and they looked no different than the DDM tuning kits. And the DDM tuning Hids start at just $40! I usually use the 35w since I find them to have more than enough light. 55w have a much wider spread of light and have more center light(for i.e. long distance). I honestly think that those ebay hids were just not as high on quality.

Man-a-fre sells a smokes lens for the headlights to help blackouts:
FJ Cruiser Heavy Duty Headlight Covers

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I considered the Man-a-fre lenses but was afraid they would block too much light. Do you have any experience with those?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the 55W ACs installed. Vast improvement!! Much brighter and I haven't seen any flickering yet. Now just keeping my fingers crossed that the housing holds up! :worried:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Any pics of the 55 w at night? How is the cut off with the projectors on the eBay kits? Thanks:cheers:

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a shot of the cut-off on my projectors as I was leaving for work this morning. What type of housing are you running your 6000K's in?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts