Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Photobucket.com has recently changed its terms of service for free users on their platform. As of June 20 images hosted by Photobucket and shared on our forum, or any other third party sites, will no longer appear. As a result, you may notice a higher amount of broken images on the forum.

If you do not have access to edit your older posts please contact an Administrator or Moderator for assistance. Please provide the new URL for the image that needs to be edited and a link to the thread the image in located in.

More information on the change and what it means for Photobucket users can be found below.

Photobucket Terms of Use http://photobucket.com/terms

Thank you

Community Support

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
FWIW

If you come across one of these stupid Photobucket images that says "Please Update Your Account..." and want to see the picture; It is "still there", you just have to right-click and copy the url, or "open in new window" ect. Then you can see it.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,268 Posts
FWIW

If you come across one of these stupid Photobucket images that says "Please Update Your Account..." and want to see the picture; It is "still there", you just have to right-click and copy the url, or "open in new window" ect. Then you can see it.
Good info. Perhaps we need to work through some of the older how to threads and save those pics and then upload them again in the absence of the OP.

·
Administrator
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If there are some very crucial threads in your opinion, let us know and we'll try to assist. We're trying to develop a mass fix, but it's not definite that it will work

Kevin

·
A-Team Moderator
8,984 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Test to see if I can host my own pics ...

... haha
Now I need to figure out how to upload pics straight from my phone and I'm golden.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
FWIW

This doesn't seem to work for me. It takes me to the PB site and all I see is the "dial of death"

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
This doesn't seem to work for me. It takes me to the PB site and all I see is the "dial of death"
Oh I see. The image has to be 'public' too. If it is private then it wont let you see it on the PB site. sucks.

·
Registered
416 Posts
There are four problems with the forum's built-in image host:

1. You can't use images inline in your posts while composing them.
  2. If you go back after and add the images inline, they all still show up a second time at the bottom under the "attached thumbnails" section.
  3. There is a maximum number of images per post.
  4. You have only two choices of image size: the one thumbnail, or full resolution
I originally wanted to use the built-in image hosting to avoid having missing images, like I saw on so many older posts with information that I desperately needed but could not access because the images had gone away but these four issues prevent me from being able to compose posts the way I want so I do not use it.

I have been uploading my images twice: once to https://imgur.com, because they automatically generate a variety of thumbnail sizes that I can embed, and then linking my thumbnails to full-resolution images hosted on my Dropbox (https://dropbox.com). I pay for a subscription to the dropbox service... I know it's not the best in terms of long-term survivability, but I can't make the posts I want with the built-in image host.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
Okay, I got caught in the Photobucket mess and the was the only way I knew to add photos to my threads here that I've taken of my trucks, trips, etc. I just went through and redid all of my photos in my Member's Build tread. I learned to use the attachment feature that the forum has and I learned a few things.

If your photos are too big you'll probably only be able to download them one at a time. My photos were mostly 6000x4000 and from 4.5mb to over 7mb each. It worked fine doing them one at a time, but it basically locked up and kicked me out if I tried to do 5 at a time.

The attachment window that comes up only gives you the ability to download 5 photos at a time. You can however download those 5 and then you can either just hit browse and download 5 more or you can close that window and click on the Manage Attachments button again and then download 5 more. I've did that and put over 10 photos into the same post with no problem.

If you are repairing your photos, bring up the thread and click on Edit. Then using a note pad mark down your photo numbers such as 1394, FJ_0234pzeowOo, or whatever it is and then when you look in your files you can just find that number and it makes things a lot easier. Most of my photos were in one file so that helped, but some were in different files which brought up another problem. If you are like me and don't have your files named like, "FJ Mods 1-10" or something like that and only use the date the file was downloaded from the camera, then look at the date of your thread first before you hit Edit so that you can have an easier time finding the right file.

Most of my PB photos were loaded up and stuck in a file on that site. I did have a few missing photos that I lost when my computer crashed so I came back to my build thread and right clicked, copied, and then pasted them into another file before putting them in the PB file with the other build photos. I also had some photos that were modified for an avatar or other things that had been worked over and then added. I noticed that the regular photos added straight to PB and that file would be added to the thread in the exact order that I put them when I hit browse. If I hit the first browse button and put photo 345, then the second button and 456, and then the third and 567, and so on, that's the way they were posted from the top photo down. The modified and right clicked photos always showed up at the bottom of the page under those other photos so they were out of order. Don't know if that can be changed or not.

·
Admin
6,871 Posts

·
Administrator
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
need to keep an eye on these and make sure that the plugin doesn't break. A long term fix would be to load the images on the forum or another hosting site (which may or may not pull a PB stunt).

Lee

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fix for Photobucket disabled image links

I joined this group a few months ago and was disappointed to find broken links where many of the photos once were. This makes build threads and technical articles almost useless, as you may imagine. I found this in another forum and hope it helps...

There's now an extension for the Chrome Web browser that will do an end-run around Photobucket's block. Just click this link to install it. The extension works like a charm to unblock previously blocked photos, although they're still blocked on other people's computers unless they install the extension.

There's also a firefox version:

Photobucket Fixer :: Add-ons for Firefox

·
Admin
6,871 Posts
Re: Fix for Photobucket disabled image links

I joined this group a few months ago and was disappointed to find broken links where many of the photos once were. This makes build threads and technical articles almost useless, as you may imagine. I found this in another forum and hope it helps...

There's now an extension for the Chrome Web browser that will do an end-run around Photobucket's block. Just click this link to install it. The extension works like a charm to unblock previously blocked photos, although they're still blocked on other people's computers unless they install the extension.

There's also a firefox version:

Photobucket Fixer :: Add-ons for Firefox
Those links are posted 2 posts above yours :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts