Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchased 285/70/17 Nitto Grappler and had them installed on my stock suspension, 2013 FJ.

In researching this I found a host of information however each seemed to be custom to particular situations with different experiences. I thought I'd post my experience and hopefully help someone out in the future.

I have a stock suspension, 2013 FJ.

After installing the tires I went around a few parking lots and performed circles while accelerating and braking to try and get a rub. At full turn, I had no rubbing.

I then drove the FJ on a weekend trip. 200+ miles on highway and in town- 20 miles on the beach.

The ONLY time I experience rubbing is when I am either (1) on a steep hill, or (2) braking, AND turning the wheel at the same time. Even then, the rubbing is on a small bulge in the front mud flap. Not a concern of mine. It appears if you front end is pushed down and your front wheels are at the right angle, some rubbing is possible.

On the beach I had absolutely no rubbing. Got up to 30mph but mostly in a straight line on both tracked sand and in untracked.

Fuel Consumption: I've noticed no difference. I usually get between 17 and 20 mph depending on how I drive. I am still around there so if there is a difference it is negligible.

Power: I've noticed a SLIGHT power decrease. I feel like the truck used to cruise comfortably at 70mph. I found myself doing around 65 (maybe slightly higher now. Again, no big deal.

Speed Odometer- not change when comparing to my GPS speed.

Road noise- I was running the stock Dunlops, there is more road noise with the new tires but nothing too bad-- if this bothers you I would recommend keeping the stock tires and putting them on a Camry instead of driving an FJ!

Overall I am thrilled to bump from the 265 to 285. My old tires were pretty worn so it feels like the new tires are slightly softer on the road (expansion joints, aprons on the driveway, etc.). I think it is because of the size but because the old tires were bad, not really sure.

If you are unsure about mounting 285's I would say to go ahead and do it. Please note that different tire manufacturers have different sizes so my experience is limited to the Nitto's.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice rig. I to just upgraded to Terra Grappler 285, but I previously raised the front 1.875ish inches to level it out. To date, i have not had any rubbing, evening while flexing the suspension while offloading. When I had the front end aligned, I had them move the caster up to close to 3. It moved the wheel forward in the wheel well an bit and centered it up nicely. As for gas mileage, very little change. But I did notice a little decrease in power too. I had BFG Rugged Trails previously, and I find that my FJ handles much better now. It tracks really straight and isn't effected by road inconsistency much at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are those Assateague pics? I try to get down there every other weekend. Good info, looking to upgrade, stock BFG's still have a lot of meat with 47k on them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts