Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oil gurus are getting more and more creative on coming up with excuses to raise the price of oil. Today somewhere in Nigeria somebody "threaten to strike" and oil jumps $5.00 a barrel. The price was dropping today so someone had to think of something quick, so lets say they are thinking of striking. Hell I will give the poor Nigerian [email protected] the $.50 a day raise he is asking for out of my own pocket. Just stop raising the price of oil!!!

I had an old man tell me one time that excuses are like a**holes, everyones got one and they are usually full of sh!t.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The oil gurus are getting more and more creative on coming up with excuses to raise the price of oil. Today somewhere in Nigeria somebody "threaten to strike" and oil jumps $5.00 a barrel. The price was dropping today so someone had to think of something quick, so lets say they are thinking of striking. Hell I will give the poor Nigerian [email protected] the $.50 a day raise he is asking for out of my own pocket. Just stop raising the price of oil!!!

I had an old man tell me one time that excuses are like a**holes, everyones got one and they are usually full of sh!t.
The oil thing is growing old for all of us.

This is so irritating isn't it. And that saying is correct. Here is another one for you. Please don't take offense to it, I'm just passing it along...

Arguing on the internet is like winning an event in the special Olympics, even though you win or loose, you are still retarded.
That phrase was obviously coined by a non PC (politically correct) minded person. It's funny as long as you remember it's a joke and don't get all uptight regarding the 'R' word. :wave:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
oh the topic of the year for sure my personal thought are it is going to get worse before it gets better. but hey i can remember when i was stationed in Scotland in 1990 and gas was 5 dollars a gallon there than! what was it here like 99 cents? we are still better off than the rest of the world except Venezualia and the middle east of course. gasohol /ethanol are nice side projects but all they have managed to do is drive the price of corn through the roof, and beware if you own a boat that has a fiberglass tank E-10 will eventualy eat the fiberglass and turn it into mush an it will be sucked up into your motor and that is nice and costly! lucky for me my boat has a Stainless steel gas tank but i seen it happen to others! when I went home to ND for xmas last year i noticed everyone was growing corn now instead of all the usal crops because of the new gasification plants, i wish someone would hurry up and invent a hyperdrive lol so we can not worry bout this pending disaster.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Heard that the Fed says that we should get used to $4.00 gas since it will be around through 2009! WHAT!? :flame: So, let's just not even try anymore?

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
With todays drilling technology I think we can get it done with minimal impact on the environment.

It's not about he environmental impact as much as it is about the almighty dollar and bottom line.

Majorty of the large known oil deposits in Canada and the US are in shale or oil sands. Neither are cheap to retreive.

One day when the technology is there to drive down the price of recovery from these deposits, things will change.

The Oil Saga is far from being over.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I heard a report on the news that right now the cost to produce a barrell of oil is right about $50 the speculators push the cost up, this fear of strike did not push the cost of production up it just pushed the perceived price up.

If drilled in Alaska for more oil it wont cause our price per gallon to go back to $1.50, it would bring the price down about 15-30 cents.

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
I heard a report on the news that right now the cost to produce a barrell of oil is right about $50 the speculators push the cost up, this fear of strike did not push the cost of production up it just pushed the perceived price up.

If drilled in Alaska for more oil it wont cause our price per gallon to go back to $1.50, it would bring the price down about 15-30 cents.
If we had starting drilling for oil in Alaska and Off-Shore when they wanted to in the 90's that oil would have made it to the pumps back in 2007.

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
It's not about he environmental impact as much as it is about the almighty dollar and bottom line.

Majorty of the large known oil deposits in Canada and the US are in shale or oil sands. Neither are cheap to retreive.

One day when the technology is there to drive down the price of recovery from these deposits, things will change.

The Oil Saga is far from being over.
I believe the oil in the Dakota's is shale but Alaska and off the coasts it is not.

Hell, China is drilling for oil 50 miles off the coast of Florida with Cuba's permission. WIth slant drilling they can tap into proved oil reserves that run under our soil.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Lack of supply is not what is driving the prices up. Its speculation and a weak dollar.

If we drilled more in the 90's our prices would not even be close to what they were in the 90's now. They would be a few cents cheaper because we could sell more off to other nations. There again the profits reaped go back to the oil companies not necessarily saving back into our wallets.

Dont let the lobbyist for the oil companies lie to you. The worst argument is that they make little when compared to other industries, well if I sell you a product at 50% profit but I only sell you one a year then thats fine, but when they move the volume of product that they do then its volume that allows those crazy profits, they make tons off money off of their consumers. The other one is how much we pay for a cup of coffee in comparison to a gallon of gas or how much they pay in Europe. Some of those countries dont produce the oil that we do and dont protect the oil fields and goverments of our foreign suppliers.

We are still not short on oil we have enough and our supply does not warrant the prices we pay.

·
Registered
467 Posts
My personal opinion is that the price US farmers and companies charge oil producing foreign countries (except Canada and Mexico) for our precious grains, fruits and vegetables should be tied directly to the price of a barrel of oil. That would change the balance of trade in a hurry. America has supplied the world with inexpensive food products for years and what do we get in return? Let them drink oil and eat sand!

Just one man's opinion!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Folks.. We need to drill, grind, process every bit of oil we have at a measured and safe pace, for use later. For now we should "possess" all other oil everywhere as fast as we can. Lets get/buy/steal/take every bit we can get and use it all up, while still having ours. We'll then be in a position to sell them out technology and bring some of the wealth back home.. JMHO.. Ron

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
all i know is my arse hurts from getting screwed, we are getting raped by our own american oil co. and the speculators, pass the ky

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First of all I blame these oil prices on Dennis Miller. Why you might ask yourself. Let me explain, I just bought a new f-150 in 1999 and stopped to fill up the tank. It cost me $20.00 for 22 gallons. A few days later I was watching the Dennis Miller show on HBO and he made a joke about the price of gas. There was a room full of arabs (opec) and he said "opec had the annally meeting today and were trying to figure out how to get the price of a gallon of gas more than a 20oz bottle of water". The next thing that I knew the price of gas started rising and has not quit since. When the arabs found out that we were willing to pay $1.50 for water they knew they could screw use on oil.

Second, They knew that were are on the vergre of a breakthrough on an alternate energy source. I think that they decide to cut back on oil output in the late 2000 to cause the price to go up, loose a little know and gain a lot later. That way they could gauge use for all they can, make as much as they can before either they run out or we find another source. 2 things happened to opec did not plan for, first Katrina there needs to be no explaination for that. 2 the US housing market crash 1 year ago. This is the big one.

Opec was hopeing for $60-$70 a barrel. For a product that cost them $10-$15 a barrel to produce, that is from the ground to unloading at US docks. opec produces 34,000,000 barrels a day, at $50 a barrel profit, thats $1,700,000,000.00 a day. That can go a long way.

Now back to the Big One. opec is happy at $70 a barrel but then the US housing market crashed. Some of you are asking what does the housing crash has to do with the price of oil, Everthing.

Who are the single biggest investers in the US. Banks and Mutual Funds. First we are in a reccession because of the credit crunch. The credit crunch affects almost every one. Just about every job is affected by how people can borrow money, lets face it people borrow now days instead of saving for it. When people can't borrow money then they can't spend money. In return the banks and mutual funds can't make money in the stock, for the most part. So normally banks would fall back on mortgages, but with that in the crapper and losing lots of money they go were they can make money,Commodities. All they have to do is pay a few speculaters a few million and Bam! there keep their AAA rating and not filling bankrupcy. The goverment keeps their mouth shut so the don't have to pay billions in FDIC insurance claims. While we the hard working people of America get to pay for it all. In a few years a few speculaters will go to jail as the escapegoats and we will go back down to $60-$75 a barrel. In the mean time opec is sitting back and paying $4,000,000.00 for a fured filled sparkled mercedes and I can't, and many other, afford the gas to go the Summit.

And that's all I've got to say about that!

Who is the biggest

1 - 20 of 45 Posts