Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I measured my FJ today (from ground to bottom of fender moulding through center of rim) I got a consistent 35 1/2" rear and 32 1'2 front. Does this seem right? I was in the street and measured both sides. Gonna try again in the garage when I can pull out the in laws BMW.

Anyone else remember their stock measurements (or anyone still stock height can you measure?

Thinking of just getting a 2.5-3" spacer for just the front for now. Or should I try and fond someone's take offs? I'm retired so $$$ scarce.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Both times ive tried it, 2.5" leveling kit and Bilsteins at the third ring, the front end was higher than the back. Or, a reverse rake so to speak. Unless you have something heavy in/on the front, bumper, winch, it looks funny. I ended up re-doing/positioning the leveling ring on my shocks to the second position. I can do the whole thing in 2.5 hrs now but, i wish it had worked at the third position.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So a 2" might be a better option?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I not sure if you know this already. But a 2" tall spacer gives you more than 2" of lift, almost twice the height of the spacer. If you are not lifting your rear, your strut should have long enough top studs to pass through ~1" thick spacers. I recommend getting thin stackable spacers of various thickness from wheelers offroad and tune it to your liking.

Also, don't get hung up on exact height. Every vehicle settles and are equipped differently. You might also notice your driver side sits lower than the passenger. Just get the front to a height that looks good to you. I personally like to keep the front 0.25~0.5" lower than the rear.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
222 Posts
So I measured my FJ today (from ground to bottom of fender moulding through center of rim) I got a consistent 35 1/2" rear and 32 1'2 front. Does this seem right? I was in the street and measured both sides. Gonna try again in the garage when I can pull out the in laws BMW.

Anyone else remember their stock measurements (or anyone still stock height can you measure?

Thinking of just getting a 2.5-3" spacer for just the front for now. Or should I try and fond someone's take offs? I'm retired so $$$ scarce.
Measured mine before and after a 4x4 OEM coilover install. This was measured on my flat garage floor, and measured from the floor to the bottom outside edge of the fender flare.

Before (front):
Drivers Side: 33 1/2
Pass Side: 33 3/4

After (front):
Drivers Side: 35 5/8
Pass Side: 35 5/8

If I remember correcly, my rear measured just shy of 36"

Before:

After:

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Measured mine before and after a 4x4 OEM coilover install. This was measured on my flat garage floor, and measured from the floor to the bottom outside edge of the fender flare.

Before (front):

Drivers Side: 33 1/2

Pass Side: 33 3/4

After (front):

Drivers Side: 35 5/8

Pass Side: 35 5/8

If I remember correcly, my rear measured just shy of 36"

Before:

After:

Never thought stock shocks would look so good.:). Much better than putting spacers up there! Nice job

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
222 Posts
So based on what I am reading. All I need are spacers for the front ? Is that correct ?
You can do a spacer lift in the front, but 3" will bring you higer in the front than a stock rear height.

Option 2: Get some OEM 4X4 springs and swap them in. That is what I did, without any spacers and I am just about level. Ride is nicer too.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Just base amount of lift needed/wanted based on your vehicle. No need to know measurements of others. Every vehicle sits differently.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mine is bone stock. However, I notice that the rear sits higher then the front. I plan on adding wheels in the future but I wanted to do a lift to bring everything level before I add the wheels. Will the OEM 4x4 Springs bring the vehicle level? Will it sit higher on both front and rear with the OEM 4x4 Springs?

·
Registered
194 Posts
You can do a spacer lift in the front, but 3" will bring you higer in the front than a stock rear height.

Option 2: Get some OEM 4X4 springs and swap them in. That is what I did, without any spacers and I am just about level. Ride is nicer too.
So this would only lift the front end slightly. If I wanted a more lifted look overall, isn't better to by a lift kit ? Especially if I want to add a fatter tire ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts