Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 with approximately 100k miles on it. It does more sitting than driving lately. On the air/fuel side of things, the only real mod I've done is an Airaid intake with a dry filter. The engine is stock. Fuel delivery is stock.
I've had a hesitation when accelerating, maybe between 2000-2500 RPM, for about the last year or so. Outside of accelerating, its fine, no issues with regular driving. I've also had it at two different Toyota dealerships and both of them basically said its not throwing any codes and they cant find anything wrong. Lovely, right? So I continued researching, reading about other people's similar issue, trying every little bit of advice, cleaning every part & sensor that I could, replacing plugs, etc. I've basically done everything I can short of replacing the fuel filter/pump. Still no real improvement with the hesitation. So I'm throwing in the towel and I made an appt to get the fuel pump/filter assembly replaced next Wednesday (6/26). Unfortunately, its not something I'm set up to do on my own and its going to hurt paying the bill at the dealership, but at this point it feels like my last option. The one thing that makes me feel a touch better is that I've gotten 5 quotes (3 Toyota dealerships, 2 outside mechanics) and one of the Toyota dealerships actually had the best price. So fingers crossed this time next week my hesitation issue is resolved and I can report back good news.

On a side note, that's one thing that annoys me.........about half the posts I've read about this issue have no resolution, no follow up on a fix, what worked/what didn't, etc. So that's why I wanted to share that I'm having what seems to be a common problem and hopefully I can come back next week and say yes, replacing the fuel pump/filter assembly fixed my problem.

So stay tuned if you're interested.....

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you removed the throttle body and cleaned it ( both sides of the butterfly and bore ) ?
Yes, that's included in my "cleaning every part & sensor that I could". I can only imagine my 13 year old, 100k mile fuel filter sock POS is the culprit. I'm going to ask Toyota for it when they're done so I can hopefully see it with my own eyes. I want to see how bad it is.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Yes, that's included in my "cleaning every part & sensor that I could". I can only imagine my 13 year old, 100k mile fuel filter sock POS is the culprit. I'm going to ask Toyota for it when they're done so I can hopefully see it with my own eyes. I want to see how bad it is.
Have you tried re-installing the stock airbox? I think aftermarket CAIs are known to contribute to this issue. My 2013 TT (42,500 miles) has an Airaid CAI and has the same issue sometimes.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried re-installing the stock airbox? I think aftermarket CAIs are known to contribute to this issue. My 2013 TT (42,500 miles) has an Airaid CAI and has the same issue sometimes.
I haven't had the stock airbox for about 6 years now, unfortunately. :indifferent:

HOWEVER, this past weekend I ripped everything off up to, and including, the throttle body and cleaned everything AGAIN. Cleaned the filter, the inside of the filter box, the intake tube, cleaned the MAF, and cleaned both sides of the throttle body. I let everything dry then put it back together. The FJ basically sat the rest of the day Saturday and all day Sunday while I did some wirebrushing and painting underneath. When I got home from work last night I took it out for a spin, with my fingers crossed. And I could not get it to replicate the hesitating that it had been previously doing. Now, I'm taking this with a grain of salt because I've seen others say they've done the same maintenance and it goes away, but comes back in a few days/weeks/months. I'm not sure what I did different this time that I didn't do last time (about 2-3 weeks ago), but something changed this time around.
So I'm going to put off my appt with Toyota for now and see how long it behaves.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, Ozzie here in Los Cabos. I have an 07/ 165K mi. with the same exact problem. It started when I took it into the dealer for a trans. fluid and filter replacement. They have spent a month trying to fix this with no solution yet, Ugh! Please let me know if this solves your issue and thanks for posting about this!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Should the problem return, rather than just blindly replacing the fuel pump, have the dealer check the fuel pump delivery pressure and delivery volume. If they're to spec, replacing the fuel pump won't fix anything.

And when you state that you cleaned every sensor, that did include the Mass Airflow Sensor, and you cleaned it correctly, properly locating the two tiny, hidden sensor elements, and not mistakenly cleaning the Intake Air Temp Sensor?

And of course checked for any air leaks in the intake tract between the MAF sensor and the throttle body?

And also checked the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator for any deterioration or leakage?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi there, Ozzie here in Los Cabos. I have an 07/ 165K mi. with the same exact problem. It started when I took it into the dealer for a trans. fluid and filter replacement. They have spent a month trying to fix this with no solution yet, Ugh! Please let me know if this solves your issue and thanks for posting about this!
I feel your pain Ozzie, I have the same issue here with the local dealers. Every time I've had it in for this issue, they tell me they cant find anything, nothing is wrong, or bring it back if it gets worse. As I mentioned, I put the fuel filter/pump replacement on the back burner for now because I had good results from cleaning everything up, but as of this morning it feels like it may have returned. So back to the drawing board..........

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should the problem return, rather than just blindly replacing the fuel pump, have the dealer check the fuel pump delivery pressure and delivery volume. If they're to spec, replacing the fuel pump won't fix anything.

And when you state that you cleaned every sensor, that did include the Mass Airflow Sensor, and you cleaned it correctly, properly locating the two tiny, hidden sensor elements, and not mistakenly cleaning the Intake Air Temp Sensor?

And of course checked for any air leaks in the intake tract between the MAF sensor and the throttle body?

And also checked the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator for any deterioration or leakage?
Man, I've been to two different Toyota dealers up here and both keep telling me "nothing is wrong". Its there, I feel it, they can feel it, but they just say they cant find anything wrong and bring it back if it gets worse. Then I'm out $99 or whatever each time they want to charge for a "diagnosis". So I've been left to self-diagnose, and the fuel filter (which just happens to be attached to the pump) seems to be a culprit in a lot of similar cases. I'm just kind of at the end of my rope.......

To answer your other questions, yes yes & no. I'll look into that. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts