Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to add another power outlet, anybody? One is not enough for me with cell phone, gps, laptop, sat radio, two way radio, etc.

·
fka JimmyHoops
2,839 Posts
PFJ said:
What is the best way to add another power outlet, anybody? One is not enough for me with cell phone, gps, laptop, sat radio, two way radio, etc.
A splitter from Radio Shack...probably less the $10.00 USD...or any other electronics store.

Or you can choose to leave the office at home when you go wheelin'.

Just a thought...:D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL, Jimmy, those splitters are not enough for me and they get in the way. I like gsg's idea. How do you set it up like running wiring, fuses and mounting those outlets?

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
The one in the center console, I was planning to wire to the existing 12v socket near the switch cluster. It would not be hard to run a pair of wires to the rear either. I just ordered the outlets online and will have them in a few days. The fuse for that circuit should be 15 amps, depending what is shares with, I may raise it to 20 amps to handle a little more of a load.

i'll post when I know more with pics.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, gsg, I'd like to do the exact same thing on my fj just that I am not too handy with these things. Any pics you have would be great. Looking forward to seeing them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm getting the dealer to liven up the existing 12V socket. He says they run directly from the battery (inline fuse) when doing this as it won't interfere with any other electronics.

Then I'll tap off this socket and add another near it. In the meantime I use a 1 to 3 Crappy Tire $10 splitter that works well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am in the process of adding a few extra 12v plugs, but I prefer most of them to be hidden. I usually use a fuse tap to get power - it is a copper sleeve that fits over the fuse but still makes contact with the fuse "plug". It provides the male connection.

Get a 12v socket that branches to a multi-plug and cut off the single male plug. The power wire goes to the fuse tap and the ground goes to any screw that attaches to metal by the fuse box. Now you have multiple 12v sockets hidden in the fuse box area.

I will run the radar detector and Sirius plugs there, and extend another 12v outlet to the glove box. I can remove any of the accessories and move them to any car without cutting wires.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Fuse taps = Bad
They will stretch the pins out in the fuse box and cause an intermittent connection, should you ever remove said fuse tap. Direct wire connection with a T-Tap or straight to the battery are safer and more reliable.

Oldawg's suggestion is a good one it you are running a lot of higher amperage devices. Rule of thumb, if the total sum of the fuse amperage for individual devices adds up to more than that of the fuse on that circuit, you need to break it out like he suggests. In my case, I am just charging my GPS, Cellphone, and iPod with the sum of these being about 4 amps of draw. I will just use the existing circuit for the 12v socket already there.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Outlet added!

When installing the RS3200 Plus security system, you have to take the center console out, so I decided it was a good time to slap in another outlet. I took Dawg's advice and went to my local West Marine store. They had a few outlets in stock and I picked one up that could be mounted with either a bezel or a lock ring. This was nice, as I didn't want to use the bezel.

OK, here's a couple pics, then I'll talk about the install:

On the back side of the cuby are three 'ribs' to strengthen the plastic. One goes right through the middle. I decided not to mess with this, so went right between two of these ribs. I then tested the fit to be not too high to interfere with anything and not interrupt the E-brake. Then drill a hole and mount the outlet.

I had the switch panel that has the factory outlet pulled off to install the security 'radar-off' switch. Crimp-taps were put in the lines to the factory outlet to grab power. I'm only going to the new outlet for MP3 players and cell phones, so I'm not worried about overloading this circuit. The wire was then run to the left of the E-brake (as looking in the picture above) where there was already wiring. A couple wire ties were used to make sure it couldn't get close to the brake. The wire going to the factory outlet was pretty small. 20ga, maybe 18ga. I got 16ga to run to the new outlet before I opened things up. I would have gone smaller if I knew...

Pretty easy...

--Bill

·
Registered
560 Posts
bigbill25 said:
Outlet added!

When installing the RS3200 Plus security system, you have to take the center console out, so I decided it was a good time to slap in another outlet. I took Dawg's advice and went to my local West Marine store. They had a few outlets in stock and I picked one up that could be mounted with either a bezel or a lock ring. This was nice, as I didn't want to use the bezel.

On the back side of the cuby are three 'ribs' to strengthen the plastic. One goes right through the middle. I decided not to mess with this, so went right between two of these ribs. I then tested the fit to be not too high to interfere with anything and not interrupt the E-brake. Then drill a hole and mount the outlet.

I had the switch panel that has the factory outlet pulled off to install the security 'radar-off' switch. Crimp-taps were put in the lines to the factory outlet to grab power. I'm only going to the new outlet for MP3 players and cell phones, so I'm not worried about overloading this circuit. The wire was then run to the left of the E-brake (as looking in the picture above) where there was already wiring. A couple wire ties were used to make sure it couldn't get close to the brake. The wire going to the factory outlet was pretty small. 20ga, maybe 18ga. I got 16ga to run to the new outlet before I opened things up. I would have gone smaller if I knew...

Pretty easy...

--Bill
Nice modification - would be cool to add an aux input right beside the power so that the MP3 player could stay [relatively] hidden.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
bigbill25 said:
Outlet added!

Pretty easy...

--Bill

Great post!!! I would like to do this too. Is there room for another outlet on the right side of the middle rib too?

Wish you had step by step pictures.

·
Registered
455 Posts
gsgmac said:
Fuse taps = Bad
They will stretch the pins out in the fuse box and cause an intermittent connection, should you ever remove said fuse tap. Direct wire connection with a T-Tap or straight to the battery are safer and more reliable.
I agree---(just this once, but don't expect it to happen all that much):D

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
rjp said:
Nice modification - would be cool to add an aux input right beside the power so that the MP3 player could stay [relatively] hidden.
I thought about doing that, but I didn't want to affect the sound quality with some low quality taps. I did think of running an the cord I currently use under the center console, but it actually hides itself already. You can see it in both pictures above. it just sits to the right of the console and is very discrete :)

--Bill

·
Registered
215 Posts
bigbill25 said:
Anybody have the Toyota part number for the factory outlet? Or does anyone know of a 3rd party outlet that has the flip-cover like the factory?

--Bill
Kragen or Pep Boys have a large selection of these to choose from, some that have light-up rings, some with caps etc. etc.

Edit: Sorry, I see that this is in a Canadian forum and I'm pretty sure neither of those stores are in Canada.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts