Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow FJC'ers. Finally picked up the FJ of my dreams, a base 4wd AT in Quicksand. I bought it late last year, all original, but have already customized it to my liking. Trolled the forums for the last few months since and have learned a ton from all the experienced owners on here. Some really cool rigs out there to say the least, nothing short of inspiring when it comes to my own build.

I may not be out there to wheel with the greats, but definitely in it for a little bit of rough country 馃槈

Premium Member
Welcome aboard!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the welcome guys! Look forward to contributing more.

This is how my FJ sits right now. As I mentioned, have been customizing it since, more convenience (comfort and safety) and subtle aesthetics like a leather steering wheel, Depo's, Diode Dynamics LED's, and OEM parts too. Actually just scored some nearly new OEM Sliders for $140 off of CL. But the latest significant change would be the wheel and tire setup.

Originally came with the usual Goodyear Kevlar Wranglers that were close to needing replacement. I was on the fence with what direction I was going to go. Stock alloys with spacers and all terrains or new wheels with a negative offset and AT's all together. Obviously went with the latter lol! I previously owned a set of KO2's and they did me well so I went that route again. Stuck with OE size 265/70R17's to keep or possibly reduce weight (rims weight 20.6lbs) and retain an 18.5/mpg since it's my daily. But also with that size, I was trying to avoid doing any immediate BMC or lift with the -8 Offset. Unfortunately when I mounted to test fit them, at full turn there was rub wear on a block of tread towards the outer edge. Next day, decided to chop the body mount (never a dull moment using an angle grinder, haha). All is well now and don't have to worry about the body mount clearance. Probably by summer I'll do a leveling/lift kit with 5100's all around but nothing too significant since I still would like to conveniently park in garages, my own more importantly.

Any suggestions on what spring perch setting the 5100's should be at to raise the front 1.5 - 2" max? Don't want to lift the rear anymore than stock. Stock springs or other suggestions?
albumtemp.png

Registered
Hi 75127FJ, welcome from Ohio!

Banned
ooo, I like those wheels! I normally don't like aftermarket wheels but those look great! Welcome to the obsession!

Registered
Those wheels are pimptastic. Well done

are you gonna go black door handles and mirrors, since you did the black grilles?

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
ooo, I like those wheels! I normally don't like aftermarket wheels but those look great! Welcome to the obsession!
Thanks, TexasFJ. An obsession with my bank account! lol

I was contemplating just sticking with the OE 8 hole alloys, or even going with stock steelie's. Fell in love with these wheels when they were announced (Titan7 Wheels). With it's 10 hole design, it takes on similar appearance to the 8 hole, with a cleaner face and unique rim edge. Specifically went with the bronze because it reminded me of a late 70's to 80's 4wd truck (pre SUV) styling, especially with the white lettered KO2's. One of those, "you either like it or you don't"(y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Those wheels are pimptastic. Well done

are you gonna go black door handles and mirrors, since you did the black grilles?
Thanks, sandFJ90210. Probably won't go full on TTE. I like the contrast between all three colors (sand, black, silver). When I choose the wheels, I made sure they tied into that scheme (or at least shade) as well...bronze wheels, black w/ white letter tires, and silver lugs and valve stems. Wow, talk about obsessive sounding. lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, sandFJ90210. Probably won't go full on TTE. I like the contrast between all three colors (sand, black, silver). When I choose the wheels, I made sure they tied into that scheme (or at least shade) as well...bronze wheels, black w/ white letter tires, and silver lugs and valve stems. Wow, talk about obsessive sounding. lol
oops, rather 4 colors. forgot about white.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts