Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've seen people complaining about how it was done back then why can't I scratch my name too. What they don't realize or know is that was a way for them to communicate with others on the trips across the country. It let family members and others know you had made it to a certain spot. They didn't have phones, internet, etc.
Great example! They left historical markings for education purposes as well. People do it now because they feel entitled to do whatever they want with nature leaving behind a mark that says, I'm a d*ckhead and the world revolves around me! One person carved their name into an aspen tree near where I live and now the entire forest has names carved on every tree and it looks like trash.

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
One person carved their name into an aspen tree near where I live and now the entire forest has names carved on every tree and it looks like trash.
I've noticed this quite a few time in Colorado on their trees in certain areas. Animus forks comes to mind also.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've noticed this quite a few time in Colorado on their trees in certain areas. Animus forks comes to mind also.
I hate seeing it. It reminds me that Im not in nature and a million people have been there. I'd rather not have that feeling.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Then there's every person who thinks they need to stack rocks because they are special.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/rabbit-holes/people-are-stacking-too-many-stones
You know, I'm usually overly liberal and have rightly been described as a tree hugger, but this is ridiculous. A stack of rocks will be reduced to rubble by the wind or even a little rain. The point is that it's a temporary change in the environment hardly more significant than the footprints we leave behind.

I'm having a hard time with this even though I really feel like I should agree with the article. :-(

Dan

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has absolutely nothing to do with being liberal or even conservative. Heck, someone tried to convince me with that same argument that it’s no big deal when he did this at at 1200 year old Christian monastery (that also happens to be a UNESCO protected world heritage site). It’s about one simple mantra.

Leave no trace.

It’s not leave a little trace, nor is it leave a stack of rocks so you can leave your ego’s mark. It’s leave no trace.

·
Registered
831 Posts
You know, I'm usually overly liberal and have rightly been described as a tree hugger, but this is ridiculous. A stack of rocks will be reduced to rubble by the wind or even a little rain. The point is that it's a temporary change in the environment hardly more significant than the footprints we leave behind.

I'm having a hard time with this even though I really feel like I should agree with the article. :-(

Dan

There are these things called laws. Watching your name in the side of a rock in a protected area is against the law in order to protect nature. If there weren’t laws, all the sandstone in our state would be ruined and look like the side of a train that’s been sitting in the inner city. I live here. I hate tourists that think they can come here and leave some message or their name. This isn’t “their” place. This is everyone’s place. One person puts their name. The next person leaves a “F*ck You!” Where does it end? That’s the problem with leaving just ONE etching. Next thing you know, there’s a million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Thre is a new thing going on where people are stacking rocks in parks and wilderness areas, not sure why.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Has absolutely nothing to do with being liberal or even conservative. Heck, someone tried to convince me with that same argument that it’s no big deal when he did this at at 1200 year old Christian monastery (that also happens to be a UNESCO protected world heritage site). It’s about one simple mantra.

Leave no trace.

It’s not leave a little trace, nor is it leave a stack of rocks so you can leave your ego’s mark. It’s leave no trace.
I see your point, on the other hand, I think a little stack of rocks is acceptable since we’ve got much bigger fish to fry when it comes to protecting the environment

Dan

·
Registered
397 Posts

I'm having a hard time with this even though I really feel like I should agree with the article. 😞

Dan

There are these things called laws. Watching your name in the side of a rock in a protected area is against the law in order to protect nature. If there weren’t laws, all the sandstone in our state would be ruined and look like the side of a train that’s been sitting in the inner city. I live here. I hate tourists that think they can come here and leave some message or their name. This isn’t “their” place. This is everyone’s place. One person puts their name. The next person leaves a “F*ck You!” Where does it end? That’s the problem with leaving just ONE etching. Next thing you know, there’s a million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was talking about little stacks of rocks, not about morons writing their names on stuff. I totally agree with you on that.

Dan

·
Registered
831 Posts
I was talking about little stacks of rocks, not about morons writing their names on stuff. I totally agree with you on that.

Dan
In Zion National Park, everyday, the rangers have to walk through and knock down the little stacks of rocks because thy are supposed to be for trail markers but people are just making them for the hell of it. I have been on a few trails in Utah where you are hiking and you see a cairn and then you follow it only to realize it was some idiot making a stack of rocks and probably taking a photo by it while doing a yoga pose. It can be dangerous to stack trail markers wherever you want to. It annoys me. Sorry about the other post, I am little sensitive to how people treat the state of Utah. No harm was meant towards you.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
I never understood the rock stacking thing and didn't realize it screwed up trail marking.... I don't get too far from Jade when I'm off road, don't hike much anymore.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,768 Posts
To me they’re like less permanent graffiti. It’s a primitive urge (marking, territory) gone awry. I remember when the stacking fad first started and they were unusual and interesting, but now they’re everywhere and in large numbers so look trashy....just like graffiti does. Once they messed me up with regard to trail marking and I confused one with a cairn in the Rockies, but this reminds me of yet another growing “thing” on public lands I’ve been noticing - memorials to loved ones who have passed. Quite possibly with ashes and who knows what else. Saw a few of them along some trails in Moab and in the Rockies, and I know they are popping up elsewhere. Harder to feel ok about dismantling those....:surprise

Found this one at the overlook for James Peak and the Continental Divide outside Boulder:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Rock stacking cairns are even left by guests at times the trail has washed away or not easy to locate. It happens. To blame all guests for doing so, well it's not an issue until it's an issue. I've never seen a sign that says no rock stacking (except once in Yosemite) so to get all bent out of shape about is tough. I'm sure there's those that can blame us for driving petrol hogs that destroy our planet with green house gasses and petrol derivatives. It's our planet right? What are you gonna do? Drive a solar powered rig with foam tires? Gotta draw that line on chalking it up to education. It will come. The earth is slow to learn and adapt, but it does. People are no different.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
I thought rock stacking was placing rocks in holes or something to help a vehice over an obstacle. I guess I don't get out enough.

[rant]

Where to start :smile I'll list just one.

The snowmobile club put out new road signs this year. They were shot all to hell before we even had any snow.

Ok, maybe two..

Who travels 1.5-2 hours out of town to just throw out their trash on the trails, I mean bags of trash. Just a little trip to the woods with the kiddies and taking out the trash too. I've seen trailers and boats abandoned. One of my all time favorites has to be disposable diapers. :mad:

Carve up or just destroy picnic tables , trash toilets

Ok, I'll stop now

It doesn't take many individuals to make us all look bad. (substitute your favorite word for 'individuals')

[/rant]

·
Registered
397 Posts
^^^ I hate that!

People fall while skiing/snowboarding in the snow in random places. No one wants to find themselves covered with yellow snow after a fall. <== Actually happened to me. I was pissed! :flame:

Ok, that is stupid, but my only point is that almost anything that any one of us considers hugely intrusive/destructive/annoying will be seen by someone else, or everyone else, as a non-problem some loon is blowing out of proportion.

The best course of action seems to be an open mind and a willingness to listen to others.

Thanks all for teaching me that stacks of rocks aren't as innocent as I thought. Seriously, thanks.

Dan

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Not my problem. I cross country ski. No way am I gonna hold it till I find a bathroom. And I don’t do it on a trail. Seriously when did you ever fall into p?
What do u do when 4 wheeling, wait till u get home to go?

21 - 40 of 71 Posts