Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,648 Posts
I think if there’s anything that can gleaned from this type of thread is that no matter the situation people have different thresholds for what is considered taking it too far.

Bottom line is there are folks who we find dumb as the rocks they stack :wink but from a different perspective we may be the knuckle dragging buffoons that they deplore. Either way it goes I really don’t let things outrage me if I can help it, for the most part people today are fools so they do foolish things to feed their own egocentric needs and I really don’t have time to spend every moment worrying about the ignorance of others.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tread Lightly - Agree, no excuses

Don't Litter - Agree, no excuses

Don't Destroy Nature - Agree, no excuses

Leave No Trace - ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE

In fact, if it weren't for the Native American's scratching drawings, symbols, and names in the rocks, they would have no history. If we don't leave our mark once in a while, in 300 years there will be no history of us. I agree that we should always be mindful of keeping care not to destroy nature, but it's in our nature to use up resources and impossible not to do so, we have to come to agree on that fact. We as humans use resources. This "carving" or "scratching" of their logo is nothing more than a "I was here" cave drawing to me. Harmless. Historically correct. Now if it said "Jonny + Stacy" or "Fu** Government" or "Black Lives Matter" or "White Power"......well that's a different story.

I'm very tired of extreme groups always trying to impose their will on the world, pushing their agendas and ideas, trying to force people to see and hear their cries. If we give them what they want, they will succeed. What they want is to be tweeted, shared, quoted, viewed, and heard. All we have to do is ignore them, and they lose power.

I refuse to participate with and support those groups. I will not tweet, share, quote, view, or hear any of their nonsense. And this comment is not doing so.

I love my Creator. I love my Earth. I love my Nature. I love my country. I love my freedom. I love my family. I love my vehicles. I love my guns. In that order.

Thank you, and wheel on!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
How is “carving or scratching” any different then graffiti on fences, walls freight train cars, buildings?. Both un-sightly. Nothing but people screaming for fame, when we’re looking for solitude.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Massive subject with myriad points of view. Thank you to the OP and all the chose who have commented to refocus our collective attention to an important subject.

I conclude that while I can't pass through life or country without leaving some traces, I can and should refrain from intentional acts that harm or limit the reasonable joy of living and enjoying nature.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,648 Posts

In fact, if it weren't for the Native American's scratching drawings, symbols, and names in the rocks, they would have no history. If we don't leave our mark once in a while, in 300 years there will be no history of us. I agree that we should always be mindful of keeping care not to destroy nature, but it's in our nature to use up resources and impossible not to do so, we have to come to agree on that fact. We as humans use resources. This "carving" or "scratching" of their logo is nothing more than a "I was here" cave drawing to me. Harmless. Historically correct. Now if it said "Jonny + Stacy" or "Fu** Government" or "Black Lives Matter" or "White Power"......well that's a different story.

I'm very tired of extreme groups always trying to impose their will on the world, pushing their agendas and ideas, trying to force people to see and hear their cries. If we give them what they want, they will succeed. What they want is to be tweeted, shared, quoted, viewed, and heard. All we have to do is ignore them, and they lose power.

I refuse to participate with and support those groups. I will not tweet, share, quote, view, or hear any of their nonsense. And this comment is not doing so.

I love my Creator. I love my Earth. I love my Nature. I love my country. I love my freedom. I love my family. I love my vehicles. I love my guns. In that order.

Thank you, and wheel on!
Well said.

·
Registered
36 Posts

It's my understanding that it is "Leave No Trace" in the context of nature wiping out any traces left behind. Wind, rain, sun, time... natural weather will wipe most of what we do off road. But defacing rocks, stacking rocks, leaving trash behind, etc... that won't go away one, two, three, seasons to the next.

·
Admin
6,862 Posts
Childish words. There's always one.
2 now.

Being offended does not add credibility to an argument or discussion.

Keep it civil with no name calling or the thread gets shut down and people get removed from the forum.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,836 Posts
There are seven principles for Leave No Trace.
Plan ahead and prepare.
Travel and camp on durable surfaces.
Dispose of waste properly.
Leave what you find.
Minimize campfire impacts.
Respect wildlife.
Be considerate of other visitors.

Just a few words from each of the seven kind of summed up. You can read them all at lnt.org

Schedule trips to avoid times of high use. Go in smaller groups or break bigger groups up. Use map & compass to eliminate the use of marking paint, rock cairns, or flagging.

Durable surfaces include established trails and campsites, rock, gravel, dry grasses, and snow. Protect riparian areas by camping at least 200 feet from lakes and streams.

Pack it in, pack it out.

Preserve the past: examine, but do not touch cultural or historic structures and artifacts. Do not build structures, furniture, or dig trenches.

Campfires can cause lasting impacts to the environment. Use a lightweight stove for cooking and a candle lantern for light. Where fires are permitted use existing fire rings. Keep fires small.

Watch wildlife from a distance. Don't approach them, feed them, or bother them during critical times such as mating, giving birth, or during times such as hard winters which can cause them stress when trying to feed and wasting energy being chased. Control pets around them.

Respect other visitors and protect the quality of their experience. Let natures sounds prevail. Avoid loud voices and noises. (Loud music)

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's my understanding that it is "Leave No Trace" in the context of nature wiping out any traces left behind. Wind, rain, sun, time... natural weather will wipe most of what we do off road. But defacing rocks, stacking rocks, leaving trash behind, etc... that won't go away one, two, three, seasons to the next.
Agreed

·
Registered
64 Posts
There are seven principles for Leave No Trace.
Plan ahead and prepare.
Travel and camp on durable surfaces.
Dispose of waste properly.
Leave what you find.
Minimize campfire impacts.
Respect wildlife.
Be considerate of other visitors.

Just a few words from each of the seven kind of summed up. You can read them all at lnt.org

Schedule trips to avoid times of high use. Go in smaller groups or break bigger groups up. Use map & compass to eliminate the use of marking paint, rock cairns, or flagging.

Durable surfaces include established trails and campsites, rock, gravel, dry grasses, and snow. Protect riparian areas by camping at least 200 feet from lakes and streams.

Pack it in, pack it out.

Preserve the past: examine, but do not touch cultural or historic structures and artifacts. Do not build structures, furniture, or dig trenches.

Campfires can cause lasting impacts to the environment. Use a lightweight stove for cooking and a candle lantern for light. Where fires are permitted use existing fire rings. Keep fires small.

Watch wildlife from a distance. Don't approach them, feed them, or bother them during critical times such as mating, giving birth, or during times such as hard winters which can cause them stress when trying to feed and wasting energy being chased. Control pets around them.

Respect other visitors and protect the quality of their experience. Let natures sounds prevail. Avoid loud voices and noises. (Loud music)
Thank you very much for posting this. There are likely people here that have never heard of any of these, nor ever researched the "Tread Lightly" concept/philosophy. I agree 100% with every one of them.

With that said, I have been following ALL of these principals for my entire life. Although it was created in 1985, "Tread Lightly" wasn't really a thing until the early 90's. As a Boy Scout I was taught all of these guidelines of how to respect nature etc, and how to properly enjoy the great outdoors. My father taught me the same. My grandfather taught me the same. I have passed this passion and respect down to my children. However.....I do not need a set of rules made by a group of people to tell me what respect is, means, or should be all about. This list of "rules" is, IMO, for people who have never been taught the real way to respect nature. So, for that reason, Tread Lightly is a wonderful thing.

I have been on outdoor excursions where I've seen people abusing nature, and it brought a sick feeling to my stomach and tears to my eyes. Even though I disagreed with their actions, it's not my job to judge them, nor correct them, nor oppose them. They have their free will, and people will always do what they will do. So, when I see a photo of a small word or symbol scratched into the face of a natural rock formation, I do not judge, nor oppose their right to do that, even though I might disagree with them. And if that word scratched into the face of a rock is the only bad thing they did that day, then victory has been achieved. If that word scratched into the rock was just one of a dozen of things they did.....totally another story. Therefore, I disagree with someone flying off the handle about seeing that photo. Afterall, that photo could have been a fake, or it could have been on private property. The fact is that we don't have all the details, so we should not judge.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I have no clue how to post links . But if you type in Breaking in the FJ at Gold Lake. From you tube. I think that video is fitting for this thread

41 - 60 of 71 Posts