Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my FJ so now I'm looking for things to do. For the short term I was planning on keeping the stock head unit which is not the fjammer but just the plain radio/cd with the 6 speaker set up. I know a better unit with some power or an amp is better. I'm not an audiophile so I'm too knowledgable on these things.

question #1 is it even worth replacing the front speakers if I am not going to change the radio at this time? I will probably at some point but I was just hoping to get some better sound now. I would be looking to put in good speakers now with the hopes of the radio upgrade later. Will I get some of the quality out of the new speakers with the stock head. Could the head unit benefit from an amp or is it just better to get an entire new unit with more power.

question #2, will 6x9's in the door give me better sound vs 6.5 rounds considering they are equal quality speakers for both?

question #3, I was gonna also replace the dash speakers as well and didn't know which would be better. Changing them to 3.5's or 4" speakers or getting the door speakers with the separate tweeters and putting them in the dash?

question #4, is there any value to putting some speakers in the back pillars or better to go in the back seat doors? What size for both of those would be best?

Thanks for the help!

Joe

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
if it were mine i would leave it all stock or change the head unit first. if you replaced the speakers you are going to a speaker designed to acheive optimal sound with much higher power than your head unit will ever give it. 99% of the time it ends up resulting in worse sound than stock.

if you must, i would change the dash speakers first. you will notice those the most due to the location. it will be brighter and louder than changing the door speakers. but you still wont have the full sound that most desire.

i am not sure if it works for sure, but i have heard of some replacing the dash speakers and putting those in the rear. i would imagine it being a bolt in thing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would suggest 6x9's in the door only if you don't plan on adding a subwoofer. If you do then go with 6.5's. The 6x9's won't sound bad with the sub or anything it's just you don't want that much bass coming out of the doors with a sub going. It would probably sound a little more muddy then the clear sound you get from a set of 6.5 conponents

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply's...I just went to a local stereo store and he recommended putting 6.5's in the door with separate tweeters that could go where the dash speakers are. Any thoughts on this rather then a separate 3.5" speaker in the dash? Any thoughts on sound quality/difference in those 2 options?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
thanks for the reply's...I just went to a local stereo store and he recommended putting 6.5's in the door with separate tweeters that could go where the dash speakers are. Any thoughts on this rather then a separate 3.5" speaker in the dash? Any thoughts on sound quality/difference in those 2 options?

Thanks again.
a set of components will sound the best, but at the same time you are really wasting your money if you arent running an aftermarket head unit and amplifier on them.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
I just put JL Audio TR350 CXi's in the dash and D-pillars, and it made a huge difference. The guy at Visions who sold the second set to me suggested the 6.5 components so I could put the tweeter up in the dash and the main speaker in the door. I am sure this would sound as good as he said, but I had already decided on the second set for the D-pillars (and knew he partly just wanted to change my $66 on sale speakers to a $200 set).

I know the biggest difference will be made when I put the TR650's in the door, but it DEFINITELY sounds better already. I am running an FJammer for now.

Be warned, 3.5" DO NOT bolt in easily. Some modification is required. The front is no problem, just use on of the supplied screws into the plastic. The rears were a pain, but it worked out. I had to stand-off the speaker from the stock bracket (front brackets were removed completely) and you have to modify/remove the plastic shrouds that direct the sound when the stock speaker is installed to get the new ones to fit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
if it were mine i would leave it all stock or change the head unit first. if you replaced the speakers you are going to a speaker designed to acheive optimal sound with much higher power than your head unit will ever give it. 99% of the time it ends up resulting in worse sound than stock.

if you must, i would change the dash speakers first. you will notice those the most due to the location. it will be brighter and louder than changing the door speakers. but you still wont have the full sound that most desire.

i am not sure if it works for sure, but i have heard of some replacing the dash speakers and putting those in the rear. i would imagine it being a bolt in thing.
Hmm....interesting. I dont know much about car audio. But one thing I do know about home audio is if you only have enough money for good speakers or a rec. then go for the speakers. You can have a $10,000 dollar McIntosh head unit and if your speakers suck then its going to sound like a$$.

Its not the same in car audio?

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Hmm....interesting. I dont know much about car audio. But one thing I do know about home audio is if you only have enough money for good speakers or a rec. then go for the speakers. You can have a $10,000 dollar McIntosh head unit and if your speakers suck then its going to sound like a$$.

What he's saying is that you will notice a difference more by first replacing the speakers. Although the factory head unit's amp was not designed to work with better speakers, it will sound better than the factory cardboard.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What he's saying is that you will notice a difference more by first replacing the speakers. Although the factory head unit's amp was not designed to work with better speakers, it will sound better than the factory cardboard.

I fully beleave it is best to first replace the stock headunit because if a set of quality speakers are installed then the stock headunit will just put out alot of distortion at any level above have volume, which would suck if you like your music loud at all. Although you could keep the headunit if you powered the new speakers through an amp hook up to the stock headunit.

Just an idea

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

i was giving him steps because that sounded to me what he wanted to do for the time being.

home audio and car audio both follow the same principles when it comes to actual sound reproduction. the soudn will only ever be as good as its source. i'm not going to get into the recordings because that isnt the point here. the point is that a decent aftermarket head unit will be far better than the factory head unit. i would rather send a bad speaker a good signal for the time being than give a decent speaker a terrible signal.

edit, i do so admire the smart ass tone as well...

·
Registered
61 Posts
i was giving him steps because that sounded to me what he wanted to do for the time being.

home audio and car audio both follow the same principles when it comes to actual sound reproduction. the soudn will only ever be as good as its source. i'm not going to get into the recordings because that isnt the point here. the point is that a decent aftermarket head unit will be far better than the factory head unit. i would rather send a bad speaker a good signal for the time being than give a decent speaker a terrible signal.

edit, i do so admire the smart ass tone as well...
Actually I wasnt being a smart ass at all. I asked the question because your advice is opposite of what I've always been told. I also asked because I too will be doing my stereo upgrade in steps. I was planning to replace all of my speakers, and then see if I even needed to replace the HU.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts