Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this may be trivial but it kinda bothers me . Do any of the Nav systems out there allow a different background then the nav screen ?
I have the Scion/Alpine system installed now which other then the outside looks functions identical to the toyota systems. I also have an E7001 I may install.

I get sick of looking at the nav screen all the time. My only options are a very basic radio screen or turn the screen off all together.
Even my basic cheapie stock Scion Pioneer radio I had before had some cool moving background screens .
Do any after market navs offer this ? Eclipse ? Pioneer ?
Who wants to watch a nav screen all the time lol Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
122 Posts
Scion is a toyota, and their alpine units are manifactured for toyota, by alpine.
Pioneer AVIC family allows you to change the background.
Panasonic Double dins allow you to do the same.
I'm sure there are some others

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a Pioneer AVIC (X910-BT) and while it allows you to set a custom startup screen (the 10-20 seconds when you first start your vehicle), after that it's all default screens. You can view the GPS screen, or your current AV connection (XM, iPod, CD, etc)... there are no screensavers or anything like that. Besides, you should be watching the road! :lol:

·
Registered
202 Posts
not the best pictures but on the kenwood you can upload any picture as a background. It will display behind all options except the full screen nav or backup cam; ie, tuner, sirius, phone,setup, ipod and the "just text" nav option etc. You can also do the album art, or video instead on the ipod function.

All radio functions can have the "just text" nav which is nice on long road trips. All you get is a green bar on the bottom with next turn, an arrow, and distance to turn on the bottom that can slide close/hide if you want. It will still display all radio/ipod/sirius controls with this "text only" option, without having to switch screens from radio to nav. If hidden it will still talk and pop up text before a turn and with one button press you can switch back and forth between radio and full screen nav.

Never owned any of the other brands, but my kenwood is great, and garmin Nav is very well supported.

Its a DNX5120 and is about 2 years old but the newer ones probably have a better resolution, and better GUI. Try best buy's cowboom.com they have refirb models for about $239.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts