Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Although the very top still has snow too deep to cross, we did Strawberry Pass almost to the top on Sunday.

There are three particularly difficult spots on that trail, and on the first (called "the Wall") I had wifey spot me, which was a mistake because she has not done that but once. I should have gotten out and looked the lines myself (which I did coming down and had no problem), but going up, we high centered on a that flat rock you see in the first photo below, and we had to build rock piles and have some offroad bikers push us to finally get the FJ off the rock. I've got lots of All-Pro, thick skid plates that saved our butts, but I fear I still did some damage that I've yet to find.

The second rough spot is called the "Squeeze," and it is a nasty, tight spot where you tilt quite a bit into a massive body-bashing boulder as you try to squeeze by it without dragging your side panels across the the boulder. You'll see in the below pics where my son is on the rock rails trying to keep the tipping down as the rear wheel started to lift, tipping the FJ into and (ouch) across the body-bashing boulder. Wifey soon joined my son for counterbalance, which brought us back down, but damage had already been done to both my front quarter panel and suicide door on the driver's side.

The third is a series of mud bogs, snow, stream crossings, and mud hills called "the Vertical Swamp." We made it through that area pretty good, as I've had all too much experience with getting stuck in mud and snow lately. (No pics as no one was getting out to take pics in that mess.)

Overall, with a 3" Toytec and the Allpro skid plates, we did well though, and had a good time. Offroad bumpers from All-Pro and a front Warn Winch get installed this week. Then, when these tires wear out, 35-incher Big-O XTs are going on. Anyway... the pics...

Almost over the Wall

Past the Wall and into a narrow spot

Following wifey's directions (bad) over that flat rock

Ass-stuck, high centered, back wheels in the air, front slammed into the moutain

Coming into the Squeeze

Working the Squeeze

Tipping and teetering

Fresh dents and scratches on upper front quarter and suicide door in the Squeeze

Back through the high-center tight spot, following my lines

Going down the Wall as some dude with no FJ watches after he could not get up the Wall

:rocker:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Great shots - :bigthumb:

-

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Very Nice!!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Looked like fun.

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
Nice pics! Looks like fun. Chris

·
Registered
141 Posts
good pics, can't wait to try that trail.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I am sure it was a blast. It's good to see normal tread tires successfully taking on a tough course. Too bad about the scars.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I too spent a little time in the Sierras last weekend. Started at Loon Lake and made it through to the Springs in 10 hours & up Cadillac hill the next day. The trail was WAY different from the recent runoff and Big Sluice nearly swallowed me whole. Good times.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Off-roading

1 - 13 of 13 Posts